Who's Online
4 registered (robinus, sig_sr, Jkay327, Cajuntec), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1118109 - 11/16/16 06:17 PM NIB/BNIB
GotFeist Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Mechanicsville
Can we create some standards for using "NIB" and "BNIB"?

If a gun is out of the retail store how can it be NIB or BNIB? Unless the seller is FFL.

And how would one EVER verify that 100%? One should treat this like vehicles where once you drive it off the lot it's no longer new and is now used.

I think we should revisit its use just for the simple fact we don't know if the seller has sent down 1,000 rounds through the gun or 1 or none.

Food for thought

#1118154 - 11/16/16 07:31 PM Re: NIB/BNIB [Re: GotFeist]
MP3Mogul Offline
VAGT Staff

Loc: Salem, Virginia
City or County: Salem
I would think one would be able to look at a firearm and discern if it's LNIB or not. There are signs of wear on used firearms that can't be removed.

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
Chesty Puller

#1118234 - 11/16/16 10:19 PM Re: NIB/BNIB [Re: GotFeist]
GotFeist Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Mechanicsville
200 rounds followed by a cleaning .... not so easily especially when you can't pick the gun apart until meeting. I think some can be liberal with it is all.

#1124210 - 11/30/16 07:35 PM Re: NIB/BNIB [Re: GotFeist]
CrazyHeinz Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Falmouth
City or County: Stafford
Originally Posted By: GotFeist
Can we create some standards for using "NIB" and "BNIB"?

If a gun is out of the retail store how can it be NIB or BNIB? Unless the seller is FFL.

And how would one EVER verify that 100%? One should treat this like vehicles where once you drive it off the lot it's no longer new and is now used.

I think we should revisit its use just for the simple fact we don't know if the seller has sent down 1,000 rounds through the gun or 1 or none.

Food for thought

To me, NIB means never fired, in its original manufacturer's carton, with all paperwork, tools, etc. that came with it, and in original "mint" condition.

That said, the NRA considers it "new" only if never sold at retail! Note they use "perfect" to describe the same firearm, except having been sold at retail. Essentially both are "100%" guns. NRA modern firearm grading criteria

The Blue Book evaluates a firearm nearly the same: Blue Book grading criteria

Cheers,

Crazy

#1126234 - 12/05/16 09:42 AM Re: NIB/BNIB [Re: GotFeist]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

Loc: Richmond west end
City or County: Henrico
This is a good topic. Unfortunately it's like "low ball offers" in that a definition is difficult to agree on.

Unlike a vehicle that must be titled and has an odometer, a gun can still be in New condition after transfer from a dealer. All guns are fired when manufactured, so you really can't say "unfired" or "never fired". However, a knowledgeable person can determine if a gun has been fired more than the initial testing.

IMHO, the descriptor "NIB" means in the very same condition it was in at the time of transfer from the FFL.

And, I'd like to add, "BNIB" is ridiculous and redundant. It gives the impression the seller is trying to over sell the item.
Psalm 22:11