Who's Online
13 registered (John75, smcchesney, MrJo, Vanvl, Boomer0828, joebob, DDGdrvr, MKC1911, 5 invisible), 5 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1354495 - 05/19/18 03:57 AM handguns and under 21
Jack Flag Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Richmond
Correct me if I'm wrong. Comments, suggestions, free Resse's Pieces. laugh

So from my understanding....

You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed FFL. That's the long and short of Federal stuff. VA law says a person that is 18-20 can buy a handgun privately or be gifted one. As long as they're a VA resident, not prohibited in any way, etc.

Now I've always sold all my private guns to people 21 or older. VA DL, .mil ID, CHL, etc to prove residency and non-prohibited status. I've used to take voter ID cards readily, but tend to back of those after T-Mac did his thing not to long ago with restoring felon voting rights.

What are folks general feelings on person's under 21 buying handguns from private sellers here. And besides voter ID cards, are there other options to help establish non-prohibited status that I'm missing? Obviously someone under 21 won't have a CHL and may not be in the military (yes the military can wave felony covictions. But it's often an enlistment killer).

Just looking for a sounding board. Obviously, it's my gun and it's my choice how to proceed, legally.

Thanks. smile

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/userposts/id/16583/view/started

Please check my profile smile

#1354579 - 05/19/18 08:50 AM Re: handguns and under 21 [Re: Jack Flag]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
It's your property and your right to sell as you see fit. Now, I expect you to support Dick's Sporting Goods in their decisions, otherwise you are a hypocrite. That's just my opinion.

As far as checking legality of the buyer, I've never asked for a CHP or voter card. I can find out a decent amount from a person's name and contact information, so I know ahead of time instead of waiting until we meet up.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1361249 - 06/06/18 01:04 AM Re: handguns and under 21 [Re: Jack Flag]
DKCTac Offline
Mr. D

City or County: Loudoun
I realize this thread is a couple weeks old, but being 18 myself, I have legally purchased handguns from multiple members of this community with rarely any problems. If anyone has a problem with a legal adult purchasing a gun of any type, I think your just as bad as the people and politicians already trying to limit our rights. Just my experiences and 2 cents.

#1361568 - 06/06/18 09:34 PM Re: handguns and under 21 [Re: Jack Flag]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
I don't understand why people treat handguns and long guns differently.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1361841 - 06/07/18 08:34 PM Re: handguns and under 21 [Re: rromeo]
DKCTac Offline
Mr. D

City or County: Loudoun
Nor do I... A gun, is a gun, is a gun lol

#1364373 - 06/14/18 10:39 PM Re: handguns and under 21 [Re: Jack Flag]
Execprotect Offline
Dialed In

Loc: Rappahannock County
City or County: Rappahannock County
I have no problem at all selling to an adult as long as they seem competent to possess. Some members on this forum mistakenly think 21 is legal age for a private transaction. I notice a lot of the "hobby of the month" guys list this in their ads.

#1375642 - 07/17/18 07:45 AM Re: handguns and under 21 [Re: Jack Flag]
lizjimbo Offline
Marksman

City or County: FREDERICKSBURG
If you think that you are being diligent by "not selling a firearm to a prohibited person" you are falling way short of common sense. A prohibited person does not wear a scarlet letter. A prohibited person may very well be in possession of a CHP and a voter ID. Someone that just 2 hours ago was convicted of domestic violence, may still have his CHP and his voter ID in his possession. The CHP does not shrivel up and burn like rice paper once the judge says "GUILTY". You could sell that person your pistol and he takes it to his ex's house and shoots the place up. So your gonna tell ATF, yes they will come visit you, that you saw is CHP and you wave a bill of sale in their faces...

You want to protect yourself and others...sell only to folks you know or to an ffl. Lets say you take a prospective buyer to an ffl and do the transfer there. The prospective buyer passes a background check in a blink of an eye. He takes your gun to his work place and kills 10 co workers. The point is you have not prevented any violence or killing with your gun...now his...by doing your due diligence.

Use your bs detector. What is your gut telling you? Is the buyer willing to pay full retail for a 5 year old pistol? Did the buyer drive 300 miles to buy your Highpoint 9mm? There are plenty of clues...pay attention. Unless of course your merely interested in the money, in which case why bother asking for ID.

Edited by lizjimbo (07/17/18 07:46 AM)
Edit Reason: clarity