Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1416311 - 10/29/18 01:10 AM Reloading for the Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454 Casull
Bullseye1 Offline
Smitten

Loc: Madison, Va
City or County: Madison

25 years ago I heard about the .454 Casull round and the infamous Freedom ARms model 83 revolver. I promised myself that one day I would get one for myself and after a very long, and patient 25 year wait I finally connected on one. It is a beautiful revolver and the function is so smooth it is like a knife going through butter. The fit and finish is outstanding. I have never shot the .454 Casull round and all the videos I have seen on Youtube show a very stout round with just a smidgen of recoil muttley
One of my favorite guns to shoot and one that I reload for quite a bit is my Smith model 29 in 44Magnum/special. I have fired everything from light 44 specials up to the 300gn powerhouse .44 magnum rounds at top level loads. My understanding is that this .454 yields quite a bit more as far as recoil is concerned. I wanted to ask if anyone has experience reloading for this particular round and if you might be inclined to share any secrets or advice? Also, do you have any experience shooting the Model 83? I just bought some rounds at Fredericksburg yesterday and am ready to make a trip to the range this week to get familiar.
Any thoughts you might share will be greatly appreciated and received. Thanks for your time. T....

P.S. As a side note, you will notice in the picture that the barrel is ported which I would suspect helps manage recoil at least to some degree.

Attachments
MODEL83.jpg

Edited by Bullseye1 (10/29/18 01:18 AM)

#1446245 - 01/17/19 04:27 PM Re: Reloading for the Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454 Casull [Re: Bullseye1]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Red button to enter

Page 34 is what I use...

Be careful on bullet selection... SOME bullets are rated for .45 Colt, BUT NOT .454 CASULL

i.e. Hornady makes two bullets in .452 at 240 gr. One is for the Colt and one is for the .454c and the .460 S&W. The later is a stronger built bullet and can take the faster speeds.

Edited by Cash is King (01/17/19 04:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Typos... as always

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!