Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 2 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1460200 - 02/19/19 06:15 PM Guns you'll never sell!
Dadcpu Offline
Potty Mouth Moderator

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Henrico County
I couldn't find the original post so started a new one.
The two guns are two I decided to leave to my Son and his Son (My Grandson). I took them to Ken Burklow Engraving (Linecutter) in Charlottesville to have their names engraved in each (Before I changed my mind...lol). Ken did an outstanding job and his prices were very reasonable. This is the pair of Colts that I am leaving to them.

Attachments
IMGP0448 (Medium).JPG

IMGP0449 (Medium).JPG

IMGP0451 (Medium).JPG

IMGP0446 (Medium).JPG

Tony.JPG

#1460226 - 02/19/19 07:14 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
hino895 Offline
Addicted

Loc: Spotsylvania, Virginia
City or County: Downtown Thornburg
Nice.

#1460408 - 02/20/19 09:22 AM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Woodbridge/Stafford/Gloucester...
City or County: Prince William, Stafford & Gloucester monthly.
Nice Dad...

Both of my sons got their first knife when they turned 10... and their first .22 when they turned 12...

Rob's BLR

The Ladies at All American Awards near Quantico Main Gate did the plaque.

Don't have a pic of my older son's rifle.

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1460686 - 02/20/19 06:57 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Dadcpu Offline
Potty Mouth Moderator

Awesome.

#1461069 - 02/21/19 06:16 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Ricardo45 Offline
Older Neewbie

City or County: Staunton
Well done Darrell , those young men will be very proud of what you have done for them . Very thoughtful of you indeed.

#1461777 - 02/23/19 10:09 AM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Dadcpu Offline
Potty Mouth Moderator

I hope so, wanted to leave them something they would keep.

#1465166 - 03/02/19 04:36 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Dadcpu Offline
Potty Mouth Moderator

My camera sucks!

#1465243 - 03/02/19 08:35 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe

When I stopped in to check on my elderly uncle he said, "Sit down, I want to talk to you."

He was in his Easy chair so I slipped onto the couch. "Your Dad was seven years older than me and when I was a boy he would often take me rabbit hunting. He had quit school so he could get a job and bought himself a 20 gauge shotgun.
I was too little to carry a gun but he let me shoot his sometimes.
He let me carry the rabbits and since he seldom missed a shot I always had a full load.” Uncle Claude laughed.

“Later on," he went on, "your Dad bought himself a 16 gauge,” , “That was in 1937. It was an Iver Johnson too - had a 30 inch barrel with full choke and cost $9.95 at Advance Hardware. Dennis gave me his old 20 gauge."
For several years, your Dad hunted with the 16 gauge and I hunted with the 20 gauge. We ate a lot of rabbits in those days.
Dennis joined the Army when the war broke out and just before they shipped him off to Europe he gave me his 16 gauge.
After he returned from the war I tried to give the 16 gauge back, but he wouldn’t hear it and bought himself a new shotgun, a 12 gauge!” Jr. (Claude Jr) paused – deep in thought.
“We didn’t get to hunt together very much after that and then he died…how old were you? About twelve?"
“Thirteen.” I answered, “Two months after yall’s dad died.”

My 83-year old uncle was dying from cancer but his memory was still sharp.

"Then, “He said, “Years later, some guys broke into the house while Lucy and I were at work and stole all my guns. The cops in Alexandria, Virginia recovered one of my guns from a pawn shop. They sent it to the sheriff in Pulaski and he called me to come get it. It was the 16 ga!
It’s under that couch; reach under there and get it."
I handed it to him. He held it a moment while looking it up and down, then handed it back, "I want you to have it."

We both fought back tears.

The fore-end needed tightening due to wood shrinkage and the entire gun required a good cleaning. Over the years the bluing at the balance point, just ahead of the trigger guard, had completely worn away.

I too, remember hunting with my Dad when I was a boy. I carried the rabbits so he would be free to shoot when another jumped. “Sometimes he loaded me down with rabbits. We ate a lot of rabbits in those days”.
I also remember going to shooting matches with him. He had his no–longer-new 12 gauge Iver Johnson back then. Shooters would grab up their guns with a scowl and leave when they saw us enter.

Edited by bustedknee (04/01/19 08:54 PM)

#1466958 - 03/06/19 04:49 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Leon4575 Offline
I'm here for the guns and not POLITICAL BS

Loc: Albermarle
City or County: Crozet / Albermarle
My grandfathers SxS 12 Gauge (I'll have to get some pics)

It is an old Parker Bros damascus 12 gauge. My grandad died before I met him (by said gun) and I can remember my father shooting crows and pests with the old double when I was a kid. It was the first "real gun" I ever laid eyes on and frankly, for the longest time.... that gun scared the holy hell out of me. It was so intriguing, yet so scary to me as a little boy. I'd watch my dad shoot it and it would kick the snot out of him every time. As a little boy, seeing your dad get "kicked" back sure made you think twice about messing with it.

As I got older I come to understand more about firearms. I've fired it in the past but these days it sits in the safe. I'm not even sure if it is still safe to fire, but it has so much history and it is the only thing I have of my grandpa (we lost a lot of his old guns a few years back, but managed to save this one)

As long as I live, Grandad's gun will never be sold. I hope one day to pass it down to my son.

My 700 .280 LSS Mountain rifle - My kids are already fighting over "who's gonna get it" so I guess that one has to stay smile

Nothing as nice as what you folks have posted but..... it's what I got and I'm proud of it.

If you deal with me I will provide proper IDs and require the same. Unless you are an FFL I will not be signing anything. PERIOD.

"When ashes fall, legends rise"

#1468676 - 03/10/19 04:50 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Dadcpu Offline
Potty Mouth Moderator

Well today he turned 21...damn I am getting old! Wife and I discussed it and decided you only turn 21 one time.
We gave it to him today and that kid was stoked! He always wanted a Colt so he was blown away when he opened the box...good for him and Happy Birthday boy wink

#1468737 - 03/10/19 07:38 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
jadubya Offline
Single barrel

Loc: 757 va usa
City or County: va beach
Awesome. I wish my dad was around to see my boys grow up. Bless ya man. That’s a totally bad arse granddad thing to do.

#1468992 - 03/11/19 11:14 AM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Woodbridge/Stafford/Gloucester...
City or County: Prince William, Stafford & Gloucester monthly.
Originally Posted By: Dadcpu
Well today he turned 21...damn I am getting old! Wife and I discussed it and decided you only turn 21 one time.
We gave it to him today and that kid was stoked! He always wanted a Colt so he was blown away when he opened the box...good for him and Happy Birthday boy wink

Many say that getting a gift is a fantastic feeling...

I'll wager a bet that giving one is at least equal...

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1469816 - 03/13/19 09:22 AM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Dadcpu Offline
Potty Mouth Moderator

Yeah it was, the expression on his face was priceless smile

#1472120 - 03/18/19 06:17 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
Somepainterguy Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Nokesville
I have a Savage model 99 that was my grandfather's. Thats definitely one i wont get rid of

#1492501 - 05/15/19 01:23 AM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: bustedknee]
wscrst Offline
Marksman

City or County: Staunton
Well stated. You have a great family.

#1523549 - 08/07/19 11:07 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
HOTBRASS Offline
Full Auto

City or County: Chester
Definitely the family passed down guns. Only guns I acquired on my own I can say I will never get rid of is the AR I built. Mostly because its too personally customized and I'd never get my money back out of it.

#1538049 - Yesterday at 03:16 PM Re: Guns you'll never sell! [Re: Dadcpu]
gobroncos Offline
Big and Dumb

Loc: Roanoke, VA
City or County: Roanoke

Winchester model 1873 chambered in .38-40 Win.

It went from my Great Grandfather, to my Grandfather, to my Uncle, to my Dad, then to me. Some day it will go to one of my sons.