Who's Online
13 registered (larry1341, Rudy42, Gnome, WashingtonIrving, GreenArrow08, asd, mmc-ret, SigBoone, guns85, 4 invisible), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1461034 - 02/21/19 04:43 PM Where to hunt duck, upland birds and pigs in Virginia
browningv308 Offline
Marksman

Loc: Lynchburg
City or County: Lynchburg/Evington
I'm in Lynchburg area, looking to expand my hunting a little Trying to get into duck hunting without a boat, Pheasant, grouse, and quail also some close by hog hunting
Where do I start? Thanks

#1462604 - 02/24/19 10:14 PM Re: Where to hunt duck, upland birds and pigs in Virginia [Re: browningv308]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
If you are serious about shooting ducks I think you need a boat...or a buddy with a boat. SML is to your south.

The pheasant, grouse and quail populations are waaaay down. Loss of habitat, I think.
Its getting more rare each year to see a single grouse during deer season and I spend quite a bit of time in the mountains.
I haven't seen or heard a Bob White in years.
The few shooting preserves have disappeared as well. Just not worth the investment, I guess.

VA Game & Fish claims we have hog problems but they will not divulge the location(s) of said problems.

I have tried to get info from them, attended meeting, and scouted anywhere pesky porkers have been reported.

I have first-hand knowledge of some hogs that were "put" on NF land in Pulaski County by some fun-loving local folks. The hogs disappeared very soon after officials heard about about them.

A few years ago I spent some time near Pall Mall, TN searching for hogs that TN game dept was advertising for help in controlling the population.
I talked to only one guy who claimed to have killed a hog in the area several years earlier.
And only a single check station remembered checking in a single hog, ever!

We hunted for days and found a few tracks on a creek, near a small community.
However, we did hear many stories of government hunters working the area. Apparently, they use feeding stations, night vision and AR's and are very efficient.

The news story, obviously, was intended to urge deer hunters to harvest a hog, should they come across a survivor, but what they claimed was, "We are over-run with hogs and need some help."

I find it very interesting the state officials participate in this "The sky is falling!" strategy and remain mum when confronted with specific questions.

I researched NC and there are a few places to hunt hogs if you are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to shoot s semi-wild hog over bait. I'm not.

So, late last summer, I took a road trip through eastern TN and Western NC to see what I could find.
While I did find sparse hog sign in a few locations no one in an official position (state or Federal) would say anything other than, "I saw a hog cross the road over on Acorn Creek a few years ago."

I made friends with a County Extension Agent who told me when he was a teen he used to go out on surrounding farms and take a wild porker anytime his family wanted to have a barbecue. "But," He added, "The government has pretty much wiped out the hog population."
So, I gave up on that idea.

I am currently researching SC, GA, FL and TX. In my younger days I lived in FL and successfully hunted hogs there several times, both guided and unguided.
I have a hot lead in SC, but at last check, they are still cleaning up the hurricane damage.

We need to put together some deals and take a group or two from this board.
If I come up with something I will post it.

Having said all that, We are overrun with deer and turkeys!

#1463394 - 02/26/19 05:42 PM Re: Where to hunt duck, upland birds and pigs in Virginia [Re: browningv308]
browningv308 Offline
Marksman

Loc: Lynchburg
City or County: Lynchburg/Evington
Post it Please I'm with you on hunting a game reserve hog, I wasn't raised hunting over bait and have no need for a hog full of GMO corn. Talking to several state game wardens this past hunting season both claim the state is over run with wild hogs but neither could elaborate.

As for the duck hunting I think if I were to shoot a shot gun at SML I would end up in jail too many liberals up there now.

Last quail I ever saw was a farm raised bird that was in a cage

Hunting in Virginia is starting to become boring

Thanks for your help