Who's Online
11 registered (jr45, MSGShaw, Anasir87, Phatsacks, jschmied, John12, wrickster, Chip King, CowboyECHO, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1469582 - 03/12/19 05:31 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
Bullet41 Offline
Addicted

Loc: Dumfries
City or County: Prince William County
Open carry is not my favorite thing, but I do it in certain environments. As relatively young man, who happens to be "of color"; I get a lot of questions from some people wondering if I am afraid of being confronted. I simply state that nothing I do while carrying open or concealed gives a reasonably sane person any concern.

I don't conform to the idea that just because a person does not look competent or appropriate, they are trouble.

There are some people that are just not good ambassadors for the gun culture.

In certain areas, the general public is heavily populated with worriers and feel that an "authoritative" figure needs to come along and tell them something is "Okay".

Bullet 41, LLC
Email: patrick_moses@bullet41.com

IYAAYAS

#1469592 - 03/12/19 05:48 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: Cash is King]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Loc: Dale City, Virginia
City or County: Prince William
Originally Posted By: Cash is King

OC... CC... bag carry, truck carry... or carry any dang way you see fit...

AND please support ALL OF US THAT CHOOSE TO BE ARMED...

In a bad situation... I will take any good guy with a gun vs. no gun.

50% of the US wants only bad guys to have the guns.

Hell... I even support gun ownership/carry for the blind.

+1

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

#1469644 - 03/12/19 08:10 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
toughtom12 Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Centreville/Manassas
City or County: Manassas
I've heard that point from many LEO's (about tiny female cops). And it makes sense only when the officer has the drop on a suspect or knows that they are responding to a threat. When you are in line at the 7-11, or not expecting an attack? I fear that they aren't going to be able to retain their weapon, let alone draw it and shoot the suspect who is attempting to disarm them. I of course support everyone's right to carry in any fashion that they choose, but I think people need to be smart about it. Carrying a gun should be about safety..not about making a political statement, or trying to look like Charles Bronson.

#1469716 - 03/12/19 10:48 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: toughtom12]
imaduckin Offline
Gun fool

Loc: moved to SC
City or County: eastern sc
Originally Posted By: toughtom12
I've heard that point from many LEO's (about tiny female cops). And it makes sense only when the officer has the drop on a suspect or knows that they are responding to a threat. When you are in line at the 7-11, or not expecting an attack? I fear that they aren't going to be able to retain their weapon, let alone draw it and shoot the suspect who is attempting to disarm them. I of course support everyone's right to carry in any fashion that they choose, but I think people need to be smart about it. Carrying a gun should be about safety..not about making a political statement, or trying to look like Charles Bronson.

Just a point but i usually try to keep my pistol side pointed away from close people(checkout line) and try to keep my arm over it when i can

#1469895 - 03/13/19 02:02 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
Originally Posted By: w.parker
This topic may have been brought up before but I'm curious to hear other opinions . More than once I have been in a Walmart of all places and witnessed open carry , my issue is most of these people look under age ( which may be a concealed issue ) or resemble a person that I feel may or may not even need to possess a firearm .
My question / feeling about this is that these people want us to " feel the fact that they have a firearm , and it empower's them ? Which is a trait that I don't think we need in the firearm community ( just my opinion ) .
It somewhat offends me as basically " bad press" for our community , which these days we don't need at all ...... Any thoughts ?

How are these and the other arguments against OC any different than the leftists arguments regarding gun ownership/CC?

Do you concern yourself with what other lawful citizens(no proof of criminal activity) are doing when it has no direct impact on you and yours?

If you don’t like something personally than don’t do it. Condemning the lawful acts of others is what nanny staters do.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1469914 - 03/13/19 02:56 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: Agent19]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Loc: Dale City, Virginia
City or County: Prince William
Originally Posted By: Agent19
This topic may have been brought up before but I'm curious to hear other opinions . More than once I have been in a Walmart of all places and witnessed open carry , my issue is most of these people look under age ( which may be a concealed issue ) or resemble a person that I feel may or may not even need to possess a firearm .
My question / feeling about this is that these people want us to " feel the fact that they have a firearm , and it empower's them ? Which is a trait that I don't think we need in the firearm community ( just my opinion ) .
It somewhat offends me as basically " bad press" for our community , which these days we don't need at all ...... Any thoughts ?

How are these and the other arguments against OC any different than the leftists arguments regarding gun ownership/CC?

Do you concern yourself with what other lawful citizens(no proof of criminal activity) are doing when it has no direct impact on you and yours?

If you don’t like something personally than don’t do it. Condemning the lawful acts of others is what nanny staters do.

You hit the nail on the head

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

#1469945 - 03/13/19 04:44 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: Agent19]
panic788 Offline
Marksman

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Alexandria

Careful with that kind of thinking. You may develop tendencies to respecting others ability to have choices that are different than your own. /sarcasm

#1470446 - 03/14/19 08:56 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
I support OC for 2 reasons:

1. "The Right to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed"!!!!!!!
It should not be simply tolerated but encouraged.

2. If a snowflake should accidentally see my CC I am not guilty of "brandishing".

I personally prefer to carry concealed because I do not want to be targeted.
And if I should ever need to use my gun I do not want the recipient anticipating the fact I'm armed until they see (and feel) that widening blood spot in the center of their chest.

I consider everyone to be armed and treat them as such.

#1470650 - 03/15/19 11:25 AM Re: Outside carry [Re: Cash is King]
VicodinES Offline
Addicted

Loc: Centreville, 20120
City or County: Fairfax County
Originally Posted By: toughtom12
A 5'1" 95 lb female police officer...

... and bunch of other LEOs and I... (off duty) were wearing out a PA Happy Hour once.

I made a similar statement as yours to this tiny lady...

She responded that she was the most dangerous LEO in the room...

"How so?" I asked

"Because the Threshold where I fear for my life and shoot you dead... is half of anyone else here... and a jury will agree."

----------------------------------

OC... CC... bag carry, truck carry... or carry any dang way you see fit...

AND please support ALL OF US THAT CHOOSE TO BE ARMED...

In a bad situation... I will take any good guy with a gun vs. no gun.

50% of the US wants only bad guys to have the guns.

Hell... I even support gun ownership/carry for the blind.

When GSG-9 formed, and were dealing with all sorts of fringe domestic terrorist groups, one of the first things they told cadets was "shoot the women first. They are the most lethal in the group. They've had to work 10 times as hard to be considered half as good."

#1470731 - 03/15/19 03:00 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: Agent19]
Casull Offline
Addicted

City or County: Buckingham

The problem is that, like you said, the nanny staters do condemn the lawful acts of others. And, the nanny staters elected our current governor and half of the legislature. I think OC should be legal, but that we gun owners should have enough sense not to unduly upset the nanny staters. Do I like it? No. Do I have enough sense to acknowledge the danger they present to us? Of course. So, while I do not care what legal actions others take that do not effect me, I'm at least bright enough to know that people who OC in those places and times that do upset the nanny staters, may very well effect me if it further influences the snowflakes to pass more anti gun legislation or elect more anti gun politicians. To simply rail about "shall not be infringed" WITHOUT exercising a little bit of common sense about the dangers of your opponents, is like the guy facing a head on truck in his lane, but is too stubborn to move. Yeah, he may have been in the right, but he is going to be dead right.

#1470757 - 03/15/19 03:46 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
imaduckin Offline
Gun fool

Loc: moved to SC
City or County: eastern sc
casull nailed it ^^^^

Edited by imaduckin (03/15/19 03:46 PM)

#1470802 - 03/15/19 05:45 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: Casull]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Originally Posted By: Casull
The problem is that, like you said, the nanny staters do condemn the lawful acts of others. And, the nanny staters elected our current governor and half of the legislature. I think OC should be legal, but that we gun owners should have enough sense not to unduly upset the nanny staters. Do I like it? No. Do I have enough sense to acknowledge the danger they present to us? Of course. So, while I do not care what legal actions others take that do not effect me, I'm at least bright enough to know that people who OC in those places and times that do upset the nanny staters, may very well effect me if it further influences the snowflakes to pass more anti gun legislation or elect more anti gun politicians. To simply rail about "shall not be infringed" WITHOUT exercising a little bit of common sense about the dangers of your opponents, is like the guy facing a head on truck in his lane, but is too stubborn to move. Yeah, he may have been in the right, but he is going to be dead right.

FALSE...

They are coming after your RIGHTS whether you do XYZ... or do not do XYZ.

It really IS THAT SIMPLE.

OC, CC, bag carry, truck carry... or do not carry at all. That is you RIGHT, but do not ever tell another what to do.

NEVER LIVE YOUR LIFE UNDER THE DOMINION OF ANOTHER MAN!

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1470832 - 03/15/19 07:23 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

As Cash has stated your/our rights are in their sights, no matter what.

The folks against US would love to see US divided, don’t play into their hands.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1471284 - 03/16/19 05:20 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: Cash is King]
Casull Offline
Addicted

FALSE...

They are coming after your RIGHTS whether you do XYZ... or do not do XYZ.

It really IS THAT SIMPLE.

OC, CC, bag carry, truck carry... or do not carry at all. That is you RIGHT, but do not ever tell another what to do.

NEVER LIVE YOUR LIFE UNDER THE DOMINION OF ANOTHER MAN!

No, it's not false. Yes, they are coming after our rights. BUT, if we don't have the sense to not unduly antagonize them we when we don't need to, then they are going to come stronger and in greater numbers. As to the BS about "never live your life under the dominion of another man", while that sounds good, it's nonsense. We live our lives under the dominion of others every day. It's called laws and civilized society. To pretend otherwise is pure ignorance. Exercise your rights, but also exercise some common sense. It really is that simple.

#1471320 - 03/16/19 07:20 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
toughtom12 Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Centreville/Manassas
City or County: Manassas
Casull is making an excellent point. It's like being an ardent supporter of the 1st amendment, while also recognizing that street preachers like the west borough baptist church aren't necessarily good ambassadors to the cause. People abusing their rights and acting like trolls cause the other side to swell in numbers. I believe it is your right to yell hateful language from public areas while soldiers are being buried, just as it is your right to open carry in front of a vegan restaurant. Both aren't smart though.

#1471352 - 03/16/19 08:32 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

MOD EDIT: NO NEED FOR NAME CALLING

Dominion is what a prisoner lives under by his Warden... or a POW by his Captors.

LAWS ARE NOT DOMINION...

Laws/Rights are instead the very cornerstone of a civilized society.

Exercise you Rights within the Law... or do not (I care not), but NEVER TELL ANOTHER HOW TO LIVE THEIR LIFE or IMPLY THEY SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT EXERCISE THEIR RIGHTS.

Need proof... the very fact that you are free to disagree is proof the system works and you are under the Dominion of no one...

YET.

#1471402 - 03/16/19 10:43 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: Casull]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

To pretend otherwise is pure ignorance.

Ya think?

#1471404 - 03/16/19 11:04 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
Bulzzi Offline
Slingshot

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Front Royal
Unfortunately

#1471407 - 03/16/19 11:33 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: Cash is King]
Casull Offline
Addicted

Dominion is what a prisoner lives under by his Warden... or a POW by his Captors.

LAWS ARE NOT DOMINION...

Laws/Rights are instead the very cornerstone of a civilized society.

Exercise you Rights within the Law... or do not (I care not), but NEVER TELL ANOTHER HOW TO LIVE THEIR LIFE or IMPLY THEY SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT EXERCISE THEIR RIGHTS.

Need proof... the very fact that you are free to disagree is proof the system works and you are under the Dominion of no one...

YET.

Do you truly not understand what you write? Every law we have is telling someone how to live their life, in one way or another.

#1471459 - 03/17/19 08:43 AM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Casull... You really do not know me at all...

Drop me a PM sometime... maybe we need to get together for a beer.

I sincerely pity you and all that are obsessed with asking permission to use the toilet... or NOT live their life as they see fit.

Yielding to the whims of others over what you may or may not say... or may or may not do... is paramount to confirming another's authority (Dominion) over you.

That... is painfully sad.

------------------------

I get the point you guys are trying to make... a group of folks exercising their 2A Rights in front of Sandy Hook ES is just as tasteless as Westboro protesting a MOH funeral.

BUT (and I repeat)... when you allow others to decide what Right's you may exercise... because some snowflake might melt (or pretend to melt)... you instantly admit that ANYONE's "feelings" (at any time... ON ANY TOPIC) matter more than your Rights...

But alas... I strongly suspect it's already too late... and that pro-gun sites like VAGT will all be gone in a few years anyway... and guys like me will have already have been kicked off (and kicked out of the NRA)... for being "TOO" +2A.

#1471539 - 03/17/19 10:36 AM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

The probelm I see is we have too many "special" gun owners not wanting to loose their special status, so they work against Constitutional carry.

Many special gun owners don't care so they just sit on the sidelines, excepting whatever happens as a win as long as they can keep there special status and perks.

And some just let the big boys in the gun lobby speak for them....

And the big boys are all about the dollar. If there's no money to be made than no thanks.

Don’t believe me ask Emmet Hanger.

#1471651 - 03/17/19 02:17 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
Casull Offline
Addicted

Sorry fellows. I just see your approach as not helping. If I see a mad dog, it may very well bite me. If I poke it with a stick, it WILL bite me. As I said before, I believe in OC, but I also believe that we should exercise a bit of common sense and not poke the dog if we don't need to. I place intelligence over arrogance.

#1474025 - 03/23/19 07:18 PM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
The Truth Offline
The iguana is on the rock

Loc: Henrico
City or County: Henrico
I truly do not and will not ever understand the mindset of feeling obligated to appease someone ELSE with regard to whether or not a garment covers MY sidearm. How ridiculous! The people saying this kind of stuff sound like a racist's reaction to blacks being desegregated years ago, or a bigot's reaction to homosexuals publicly displaying affection towards each other.

Shaming other gun owners for helping to maintain a positive image of gun carry is not OK. Discussions are great! Even discussions with negative feedback! But we mustn't de-legitimize or alienate our allys. It's antithetical to a more progressive pro gun campaign to GAIN ground on liberty, not lose it.

The whole point is LIBERTY, correct?

S&W Model 1076 TEU- prefix FBI issue

CZ Model 457 Varmint 22WMR
Ruger Hawkeye Compact 308

#1483245 - 04/18/19 07:38 AM Re: Outside carry [Re: Schebishzt]
Swinger Offline
HMFIC

Loc: Smithfield
City or County: Smithfield
Originally Posted By: Schebishzt
imaduckin are you older than 60 and in a rural environment? a older person in a rural environment gets less attention that a young person in a urban enviornment. I support the right to open carry but concealed carry is much better for responding to threats. the element of surprise in a crisis is important. bad guys will shoot the old man carrying the 1911 first.

Has that ever happened? Criminals, of all varieties, look for EASY TARGETS. GUN FREE ZONES. School shootings? Concerts? Churches? NYC? Chicago?

My girl open carries all the time. She's 5'4, 110lbs. Not once has anyone given her a hard time, or tried to take her gun away.

I can't believe the ignorance of some people, thinking some punk who robs a 7-11 will purposely rob it if he sees someone OCing and shoot him first. My god, stop and think for once. Anyone who knocks over a liquor store, 7-11, etc, wants a FAST and EASY job, NOT to get into a shootout with someone who may be better armed and skilled than himself.

Just THINK for once. If there are 2 equal stores next to each other....a robber is standing in front of both of them. In one he sees a customer at the counter OCing. The other is completely empty save for the lone employee. WHICH ONE DO YOU REALLY THINK HE'S GOING TO ROB?????

Just like the animal kingdom. They prey on the weak, defenseless, sick or injured. Does a pride of lions single out the biggest, baddest cape buffalo out of a herd of 100s, weighing 1300lbs with 4ft of horns? Or do they look for an old, limping, lame buffalo past his prime? Or a young, weak and slow juvenile?

Open carry works as a DETERRENT. Just like putting alarm system signs in your front lawn. And there is another prime example. 2 houses next to each other. One has obvious alarm signs in the front lawn. The other doesn't. Which one do you think has a greater possibility of getting robbed? Will a burglar even take the chance the house with the alarm signs? Or will he hedge his bets and hit the house without signs?

If your signature is filled with unneeded, unnecessary, self imposed requirements or restrictions with LOTS of CAPS for EMPHASIS, you are not helping the community and I will pass on you.

#1484352 - 04/21/19 11:08 AM Re: Outside carry [Re: w.parker]
Paratus Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Appomattox
Some interesting posts on this topic. I agree with Swinger in his post just above mine when he states, "Criminals, of all varieties, look for EASY TARGETS. GUN FREE ZONES.". Of course, merely open carrying does not confer firearm competence, one must train diligently. That said, whether or not we agree with the concept we have to accept that there are zero valid gun laws in this country. They are all repugnant to the Bill of Rights. We also have to accept the caveat that exercise of civil rights means to exercise responsibility and common sense. This does not mean to limit the right but don't be an idiot. It also does not free one from verbal retaliation.
Personally I do not open carry. From the police academy on we were always taught to "keep your gat (slang for handgun) hidden". I believe that is a fine rule to live by however, others may not agree which is fine.
Be careful, be weapon conscious and maintain situational awareness. Know that if you display you may be the first target. Those of us who "can" have a responsibility to "do" if necessary.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >