Who's Online
8 registered (hittsfeist, Joey66, vw2013, cvo springer, groovinmonk, Algotguns, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1491909 - 05/13/19 12:38 PM Marlin custom shop
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Staunton
I just had a bad experience with Marlin customer service. I wanted to speak to them about custom work. They make two stainless rifles in .38/.357. I like the aesthetics of one (and its rail) but I want the threaded barrel of the other. This is not a major request. I was told that any custom inquiries had to go through a custom dealer. There are not many in existence and none in Virginia. Is Marlin always this bad?

#1492499 - 05/15/19 01:12 AM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: wscrst]
stockram Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: louisa
City or County: louisa
You may have better luck talking to Marlin thru instagram. They talk and take advice on there daily. I would tell them about what customer service told you on the phone and maybe they can get you a better person to talk to. Good luck, there threaded barrel 357 looks like a great host

#1492578 - 05/15/19 10:46 AM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: wscrst]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. I am not savvy with instapost but I can hopefully figure something out.

#1493369 - 05/17/19 03:30 PM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: wscrst]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

I asked an easier question today via chat and the response was helpful followed by a rapid response to my question from their technical staff.

#1493400 - 05/17/19 04:46 PM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: wscrst]
stockram Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Good deal, were they able to do what you wanted?

#1493582 - 05/18/19 07:49 AM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: wscrst]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

I wanted them to thread a barrel on one of their rifles. Given my first interaction and the difficulty getting to the custom shop, I abandoned this desire. I contacted a local gunsmith in Harrisonburg who could do it. At least this time they were able to get me the distance from barrel end to the sight and to the mag tube. Per my gunsmith, there seems to be enough room for him to thread the barrel and to leave the sight in place and to not hit the mag tube with the suppressor. If this all comes together it will be my all around perfect gun: lever action, 16 inch barrel with Hybrid suppressor, side loading, 38 special for subsonic and less expensive shooting. .357 for deer, defense, or to hit anything hard. What fun!!!!!!!!!

Edited by wscrst (05/18/19 07:50 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1493750 - 05/18/19 04:39 PM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: wscrst]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
I threaded an 1895 (.45-70) a while back. There was a tiny conflict (about 3/16") with the front site.

Solution... left the front site on and just trimmed 3/16" off of the site... satisfactory solution for me.

Enjoy your project.

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1493876 - 05/18/19 10:04 PM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: wscrst]
stockram Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

I know of a great smith that does a lot of lever action threading. He generally moves the site and shortens the mag tube though. I'm happy to share his info. If you want it pm me. Either way I hope yours turns out good

#1493914 - 05/19/19 07:53 AM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: wscrst]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Thanks for all the advice. I just ordered the rifle. I am giddy with anticipation. I am also a bit nervous since I dropped a bunch of change on something I have never held and something that I will be altering immediately. All the better. I will certainly post photos somewhere when it is complete.

#1605039 - 03/09/20 03:50 PM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: Cash is King]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Great news is that Jack Keister near Harrisonburg was able to thread the barrel and trim the site just as you described. It is gorgeous.

#1605299 - 03/10/20 09:38 AM Re: Marlin custom shop [Re: wscrst]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Originally Posted By: wscrst
Great news is that Jack Keister near Harrisonburg was able to thread the barrel and trim the site just as you described. It is gorgeous.

Very cool... catch up with me sometime and we can play the .45-70 sub game also... 100% GUARANTEED YOU WILL BE GRINNING EAR TO EAR.

I don't reload for .38/.357, but there are tons of loads out there on the web.

Fella taught me years ago... "Use the fastest powder you can to get the explosion over and done with ASAP... this will keep you loads the most quiet."

Edited by Cash is King (03/10/20 09:46 AM)
Edit Reason: More info

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!