Who's Online
1 registered (jkinch05), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1493274 - 05/17/19 10:14 AM Active duty military moving to Virginia with a Massachusetts's LTC
nwin Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Alexandria
Hi all,

I've read through a few of the subforums here and checked out the VA state laws as best I could. I'm posting here simply to have some piece of mind that what I've interpreted is correct...coming from Massachusetts, things seem a bit easier here so I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

I'm active duty military, home of record is Arizona, but I'm coming to Virginia from Massachusetts, where I have an active concealed license to carry. I will be on orders in Virginia, living in Virginia, for the next four years.

From what I can tell, even though Massachusetts doesn't recognize VA concealed carry permits, Virginia DOES recognize the Massachusetts permit, so since mine is still valid, I *don't* have to get a Virginia concealed carry permit. Still, once things settle down a bit after the move, I will probably get a Virginia one.

If I've interpreted the above information correctly, then I have the following questions:

Buying guns: Can I simply show up to a gun store or a private seller on these forums, show them a copy of my orders, my military ID, and my Massachusetts concealed carry permit, and be eligible to purchase a gun? I would assume it would be easier to do this through a store, since they may know the laws better than a private party (obviously there are exceptions to the rule on this, as I've come across some gun stores that are clueless).

Selling guns: I have one gun I want to sell, just a handgun (HK P30SK). Unlike Massachusetts, there doesn't seem to be any 'approved firearms roster', so I think I can just list it for sale on these forums, meet up with a buyer, ensure they have a VA driver's license, and provide a bill of sale. That bill of sale doesn't have to be processed with any state entity, as far as I can tell, correct? In Massachusetts, we have to do an online form with each parties details (and license to carry permit #) to make a valid transfer.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

#1493359 - 05/17/19 02:16 PM Re: Active duty military moving to Virginia with a Massachusetts's LTC [Re: nwin]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
Welcome.
Your orders to Virginia make you the same as a Virginia resident for buy/selling purposes either from private seller or dealer.

VA basically honors all others states resident concealed handgun permits.

Virginia State Police website has the basics and VCDL’s website should provide you with other resources, including a wallet card that list locations were carry is off limits.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1493378 - 05/17/19 03:53 PM Re: Active duty military moving to Virginia with a Massachusetts's LTC [Re: nwin]
Newgunguy Offline
Marksman

City or County: Goochland
Hello nwin.

If you had any AR type of rifles from mAZZholechusetts you should've sold them before moving here, along with any newer Glocks also. We escaped to here at the end of 2016 and I sold my Stag Model three for $1,600 before we left. I wasn't fortunate enough to have an unrestricted ltc but I never turned mine in because I don't ever plan on going back up north again unless it's to watch the entire area glow in the dark, but if you do you need to send it back to the issuing authority and one to the state I believe.

Charles.

#1493383 - 05/17/19 04:12 PM Re: Active duty military moving to Virginia with a Massachusetts's LTC [Re: nwin]
JustOneMore754 Offline
Marksman

Loc: Haymarket
City or County: Prince William
Welcome to the dramatically more gun friendly state of Virginia nwin! There is no “approved” list here in VA... you can purchase anything the Feds say you can! Like Agent19 said check with the State Police website for the most up to date CC reciprocity but you should be fine. If all else fails you can open carry here without a permit.

That being said you might want to look into getting your Utah non-resident permit since that is the most widely respected non-resident permit and a bunch of places offer the classes necessary.

Also as someone who also moved from a non-2A-friendly state you should check out the nations gunshow in Chantilly... it’ll put Virginia’s overall stance on gun ownership in perspective. But be prepared to make an impulse buy or two!

I can always be tempted by:
- SPAS-12 with a folding stock
- Shooter grade Luger
- Schofield reproduction
- S&W 586 with a 4” barrel

#1493965 - 05/19/19 11:02 AM Re: Active duty military moving to Virginia with a Massachusetts's LTC [Re: Newgunguy]
nwin Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Alexandria
Originally Posted By: Newgunguy
Hello nwin.

If you had any AR type of rifles from mAZZholechusetts you should've sold them before moving here, along with any newer Glocks also. We escaped to here at the end of 2016 and I sold my Stag Model three for $1,600 before we left. I wasn't fortunate enough to have an unrestricted ltc but I never turned mine in because I don't ever plan on going back up north again unless it's to watch the entire area glow in the dark, but if you do you need to send it back to the issuing authority and one to the state I believe.

Charles.

Yeah, in hindsight I wish I would have liked Glocks before moving to Massachusetts because I could have made a killing on them. My AR is unfortunately at my mom's house in Arizona, so I figured it was too much of a hassle to try and ship it to Mass (my stepdad and I made it so it was well after the 1994 ban or whatever law Mass goes with). It's got sentimental value though, so I'd never sell it.

#1495065 - 05/22/19 02:57 PM Re: Active duty military moving to Virginia with a Massachusetts's LTC [Re: nwin]
99MPower Offline
Down_Range_Brass

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
City or County: Hampton Roads
Why I'll never move to Cali if I have anything to do about it

#1518369 - 07/25/19 06:28 PM Re: Active duty military moving to Virginia with a Massachusetts's LTC [Re: nwin]
snatale42 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Central VA
City or County: Henrico
I see this is an old post, but something to consider is once you move from MA they void your LTC assuming you had a resident one. If you had a non-res than you just have to update the FRB with your new info to keep it alive. Welcome to VA! Sadly I'm about to give the commiewealth their money since I now go back up there way too often and want it back. Got a feeling they're gonna restrict me out of spite haha!