Who's Online
9 registered (Indybmx2010, Max_sanchez, 0251 Gunny, rVAtrader, 5 invisible), 5 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1552647 - 10/24/19 09:17 AM Help with muzzleloader (CVA Hunterbolt)
ffpmartin Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Powhatan
I recently purchased an older CVA Hubnterbolt on Vaguntrader. Hindsight, I should have done a little more research first. This is my first muzzleloader so I am learning as I go. The rifle has a #11 nipple from the factory. However everything I read says I canít use pellets without a 209 primer. Powder sounds interesting but Iím looking for ease of use. So I looked into a 209 conversion. Iíve read two different versions. Some say I need any entire conversion kit, others say I simply need to replace the breech plug. Not sure which is correct. I reached out to CVA and got a quick response back ďwe sold all products related to the Hunterbolt when it was discontinuedĒ. So that was a dead end for info or parts. Any suggestions or tips to get me in the woods at the start of the season would be greatly appreciated.

#1552822 - 10/24/19 05:58 PM Re: Help with muzzleloader (CVA Hunterbolt) [Re: ffpmartin]
tspike Offline
Needs more ammo..

Loc: Newport News
City or County: Newport News
I'm pretty sure you need the entire kit as the firing pin and spring are different. You "may" risk puncturing the 209 primers with the existing firing pin.
Hope this helps.

#1552841 - 10/24/19 06:51 PM Re: Help with muzzleloader (CVA Hunterbolt) [Re: ffpmartin]
Va Hunter Offline
Addicted

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
I used pyrodex pellets back when I had a Hunterbolt with no problems.

#1552992 - 10/25/19 07:30 AM Re: Help with muzzleloader (CVA Hunterbolt) [Re: tspike]
ffpmartin Offline
Single barrel

Thank you. Seems to be the most info Iíve gotten on the topic so far.

#1552993 - 10/25/19 07:34 AM Re: Help with muzzleloader (CVA Hunterbolt) [Re: Va Hunter]
ffpmartin Offline
Single barrel

Appreciate the info on the pyrodex pellets. Iíll give that a shot first. It does seem odd that CVA and all info Iíve found says you can only use the Hunterbolt with loose powder. Since the rifle was discontinued by CVA, you seem to be the first person Iíve heard from that has actual experience with the Hunterbolt. Did you not have any issues with the #11 caps or had you converted it to a 209 system? Also do you remember how to remove the breech plug. I canít even see how a socket could get it out with only the nipple exposed

#1553086 - 10/25/19 11:02 AM Re: Help with muzzleloader (CVA Hunterbolt) [Re: ffpmartin]
Va Hunter Offline
Addicted

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
I don't remember how the breech plug comes out but I will tell you one thing, clean it after EACH shot during sight in or you won't get groups you will get patterns. I never had any issues with #11 caps but you will be better off using the RWS ( I think that was the brand, they are German made) #11 caps. They are hotter than all the others. Holding the muzzle of the unloaded gun with just a cap about 6 inches from a leaf the RWS cap will tear the leaf up the others just move it a bit. I got rid of my hunter bolt after a year or so and to me that wasn't quick enough.