Who's Online
7 registered (whypanic, Beazer_12, RayHardy, Hazey, Dave1978, Barry Creasy, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1561873 - 11/18/19 10:28 PM VA Senate SB16 - Weapons and magazine bans introduced
Wojownik Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Northern VA
City or County: Fairfax / Loudoun
And so, it really begins.

SB 16 has been reintroduced by Dick Saslaw (D-Falls Church). Far-reaching ban on assault rifles (anything that can take a magazine, and has any one of a long list of cosmetic "naughty" features). Even possession of one would become a Class 6 felony. Everything from an AR-15 to a Mini-14, or it would seem even a Ruger 10/22.

It would be a misdemeanor to sell, transfer, or import a mag of over 10 rounds. Nothing said (yet) about possession.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+sum+SB16

This bill is a giant turd.

#1561917 - 11/19/19 08:03 AM Re: VA Senate SB16 - Weapons and magazine bans introduced [Re: Wojownik]
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: VA
City or County: Stafford
It's a disgusting read. This is all about control and will not stop with firearms. It's a shame there are plants and sheep, even on this site, that support this type of garbage.

#1561954 - 11/19/19 10:18 AM Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
Wojownik Offline
Bolt action

So, who out there supports the following bills that were also just introduced?

HB 2 - universal background checks.

SB 16 - assault weapons ban.

SB 22 - one handgun per month.

SB 15 - makes it a crime to carry (even with permit) on any property owned or leased by the state.

SB 35 - allows cities/counties to prohibit firearms at permitted events (I guess like rallies, protests or parades).

The blanket AWB is the most glaringly problematic (IMHO) because it will make felons out of hundreds of thousands (maybe a million) Virginians, unless they dispose or destroy their property.

#1562051 - 11/19/19 02:21 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

And there is more! As said before, this is about control...

House and senate bills

#1562055 - 11/19/19 02:32 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
IrishIII Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Page
Sitting behind these “keyboards” ain’t gonna do anything. We all know what’s coming! The question is are we going to do anything to stop it? 50% of gun owners don’t even know what happened

#1562058 - 11/19/19 02:44 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
chank3 Offline
Single barrel

City or County: Falls Church
VCDL is out there fighting the good fight. Frederick Douglas said "A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box." We need to be out fighting for our rights, not point in staying silent and rolling over.

#1562062 - 11/19/19 02:58 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: IrishIII]
Wojownik Offline
Bolt action

Fair point. I posted four things that we should all be doing already: contributing to VCDL, pestering the NRA-ILA, contacting your legislators, and attending the next lobby day.

Make sure your gun-owning neighbors know what is about to hit them. I know a shocking number of gun-owning people up here in NoVA that didn't even bother to vote, and have NO idea that this legislation is on the fast track. Get them mobilized, via VCDL, etc.

In my case (NoVA), my so-called "representatives" are actually the ones introducing these unconstitutional bills. They are a lost cause, but I have to think there are enough Democrat representatives in pro-gun districts that might be more tuned to the concerns of their voters. if we can get to enough Democrat fence-sitters, they may cause the legislation to be watered down in committee, if not rejected.

It seems that VCDL is more focused on the sanctuary city idea at the moment (cute idea, but it has no impact on the actual laws being passed). I'm hoping they are able to organize around getting to a handful of receptive Democrats to realize that the AWB bill goes too far. We would "just" need to swing 3 Democrat senators. And/or 11 Democrat delegates (10, if Stolle's recount succeeds).

Originally Posted By: IrishIII
Sitting behind these “keyboards” ain’t gonna do anything. We all know what’s coming! The question is are we going to do anything to stop it? 50% of gun owners don’t even know what happened

#1562065 - 11/19/19 03:06 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
chank3 Offline
Single barrel

Originally Posted By: Wojownik
Fair point. I posted four things that we should all be doing already: contributing to VCDL, pestering the NRA-ILA, contacting your legislators, and attending the next lobby day.

Make sure your gun-owning neighbors know what is about to hit them. I know a shocking number of gun-owning people up here in NoVA that didn't even bother to vote, and have NO idea that this legislation is on the fast track. Get them mobilized, via VCDL, etc.

In my case (NoVA), my so-called "representatives" are actually the ones introducing these unconstitutional bills. They are a lost cause, but I have to think there are enough Democrat representatives in pro-gun districts that might be more tuned to the concerns of their voters. if we can get to enough Democrat fence-sitters, they may cause the legislation to be watered down in committee, if not rejected.

It seems that VCDL is more focused on the sanctuary city idea at the moment (cute idea, but it has no impact on the actual laws being passed). I'm hoping they are able to organize around getting to a handful of receptive Democrats to realize that the AWB bill goes too far. We would "just" need to swing 3 Democrat senators. And/or 11 Democrat delegates (10, if Stolle's recount succeeds).

Originally Posted By: IrishIII

Spot on. I had to inform a lot of Falls Church gun owners that the VCDL exists and that there was a meeting in Annandale.

#1562070 - 11/19/19 03:25 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: chank3]
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

I have contacted my delegate and received a the typical "I respect the right to safe and legal gun ownership. With that said, I also believe that Virginia needs to enact gun safety measures to reduce gun violence...". I provided my input per her request and then received the "...we will keep your thoughts in mind for the future." If this is coming from a delegate that covers portions of Stafford (tends to be pro-2nd amendment) and Woodbridge, we have a fight ahead of us.

#1562306 - 11/20/19 08:58 AM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
big_lu_lu Offline
Addicted

Loc: Richmond
City or County: Richmond
We not only need strong organization with VCDL but in my opinion should have the following stand with us to help educate and prevent bills such as this one from passing

Gun Owners of America
NRA
Jews for the Preservation of Gun Ownership
African American Gun Association
Second Amendment Foundation

#1562309 - 11/20/19 09:01 AM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
big_lu_lu Offline
Addicted

Loc: Richmond
City or County: Richmond
My post cut off

In addition:
Law Enforcement Organizations such as Police and Sheriff’s

The VA 2020 Assembly will be a watershed moment not only for us in the Commonwealth but also for many other states.

#1562388 - 11/20/19 01:24 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
When the liberals cut off their peckers to prevent rape I may consider giving them my guns but only after being compensated for them. I guess next year I will be promoted to felon.

#1562459 - 11/20/19 04:54 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
Nellers07 Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Alexandria
Look at line 433 of the bill; this is essentially a repeat of the bills proposed during the special session. Possession would also be illegal.

"It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport an assault firearm. A violation... is punishable by a class 6 felony."

Assault firearm is defined by being a semi auto, and having essentially any feature under the sun.

#1562467 - 11/20/19 05:18 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Nellers07]
Wojownik Offline
Bolt action

Originally Posted By: Nellers07
Look at line 433 of the bill; this is essentially a repeat of the bills proposed during the special session. Possession would also be illegal.

"It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport an assault firearm. A violation... is punishable by a class 6 felony."

Assault firearm is defined by being a semi auto, and having essentially any feature under the sun.

^^^ exactly. Making hundreds of thousands of Virginians (or more) automatic felons if they don't destroy or dispose of their property. It's insane. What I am amazed (and dissappointed) about is how few VA Gun Trader posters seem to be concerned about this. Just a handful of us, it seems. While the gun sales thread seems to have picked up significantly over the past week (I guess people are looking to cash in/dispose already!), I don't see a lot of other message traffic about this earth-shaking legislation that is likely to be rammed through.

I guess that's how this all happened - the anti-gun community is active, organized, and has the motivation to get to the polls. The voter turnout numbers tell the story. However the pro-2A community seems ... lethargic, resigned, and I would be bold enough to say didn't bother to turn out en-masse to the polls.

So now we have a lot of catch up work to do. And I just don't sense the energy or drive out there. Please tell me I am wrong...

#1562471 - 11/20/19 05:24 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
toughtom12 Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Centreville/Manassas
City or County: Manassas
This bill looks like something that would be in New Jersey or California. I cant believe they are going for so much at once, I figured they'd try to chip away?!?! This would be a disaster for for everyone if it passes. The lawyers would have their work cut out for them with all the increased caseloads.

#1562480 - 11/20/19 05:53 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
IrishIII Offline
Marksman

City or County: Page
I agree with you 100%

#1562484 - 11/20/19 06:01 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
Abeygunz Offline
Have gun will travel

Loc: Hampton roads
City or County: Newport News
I think we must educate our fellow gun owners about what is taking place if they don’t already know. My hope is in their attempt to over reach they will anger enough Virginians and maybe the next election enough Dems will lose their seats to turn the tide on these infringements.

#1562509 - 11/20/19 06:58 PM Re: VA Senate SB16 - Weapons and magazine bans introduced [Re: Wojownik]
gsintxz Offline
Marksman

Loc: Arlington, VA
City or County: Arlington
Do put think this is likely to pass though ?

#1562510 - 11/20/19 07:00 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

Quote:
^ exactly. Making hundreds of thousands of Virginians (or more) automatic felons if they don't destroy or dispose of their property. It's insane. What I am amazed (and dissappointed) about is how few VA Gun Trader posters seem to be concerned about this. Just a handful of us, it seems. While the gun sales thread seems to have picked up significantly over the past week (I guess people are looking to cash in/dispose already!), I don't see a lot of other message traffic about this earth-shaking legislation that is likely to be rammed through.

I guess that's how this all happened - the anti-gun community is active, organized, and has the motivation to get to the polls. The voter turnout numbers tell the story. However the pro-2A community seems ... lethargic, resigned, and I would be bold enough to say didn't bother to turn out en-masse to the polls.

So now we have a lot of catch up work to do. And I just don't sense the energy or drive out there. Please tell me I am wrong...

I too see this and hope we are both wrong. As for the other post that mentioned that maybe the left will be afraid of losing future elections, they are redrawing district lines next year to ensure they remain in power for decades....for those of us who call Virginia home, this will be our only chance.

#1562556 - 11/20/19 09:33 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
ak66 Offline
Sharp Shooter

City or County: Fairfax
Need to pay attention to the part “...Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm.” The way I read, even if you have a threaded barrel or a compensator for a handgun, you are now a felon. Insane!!!
- Colt stripped M4 upper receiver
- Comtac III or higher
- Leupold MK4 spotting scope

#1562562 - 11/20/19 09:54 PM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: Wojownik]
chank3 Offline
Single barrel

No you're not wrong. Anti-gunners have spend time and money silencing us in social media, in the news, and in the public forum. They take up all the airtime and that transcends into politics. The noise drowns out the pro-2A community, isolating us from the world and from each other, to the point we feel alone and ultimately resign. I couldn't tell you how many pro-2A people I meet up with in NOVA get surprised when they meet another gun owner. Gun owners didn't show up to the fight because they feel it's hopeless, because Moms-Demand-Action made them feel that way.

#1562683 - 11/21/19 10:40 AM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: big_lu_lu]
scott9050 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: West Virginia
City or County: West Virginia
Originally Posted By: big_lu_lu
We not only need strong organization with VCDL but in my opinion should have the following stand with us to help educate and prevent bills such as this one from passing

Gun Owners of America
NRA
Jews for the Preservation of Gun Ownership
African American Gun Association
Second Amendment Foundation

Virginia is way past that now, Democrats and the big money behind them is not going to allow their agenda to be stopped. The real question is the response to the violation of your Constitutional rights and hte fact that the dems plan to pack the prisons with currently law abiding citizens.

#1562684 - 11/21/19 10:42 AM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: toughtom12]
scott9050 Offline
Double barrel

Originally Posted By: toughtom12
This bill looks like something that would be in New Jersey or California. I cant believe they are going for so much at once, I figured they'd try to chip away?!?! This would be a disaster for for everyone if it passes. The lawyers would have their work cut out for them with all the increased caseloads.

If you look at other bills, they are going to move section 8 receiving people into red counties. They will make it illegal not to rent to section 8, and they are making it illegal for county boards to not approve low income housing. The result is to try and drive Republicans out like they did in California.

#1562685 - 11/21/19 10:44 AM Re: VA Senate SB16 - Weapons and magazine bans introduced [Re: gsintxz]
scott9050 Offline
Double barrel

Originally Posted By: gsintxz
Do put think this is likely to pass though ?

There is no way to stop it. 6 districts were redrawn by Obama appointed judges just to guarantee this result. Dems are also doing away with one term limits for the governor.

#1562686 - 11/21/19 10:47 AM Re: Four more gun control bills introduced - UBCs, 1 gun per month, etc. [Re: chank3]
scott9050 Offline
Double barrel

Originally Posted By: chank3
No you're not wrong. Anti-gunners have spend time and money silencing us in social media, in the news, and in the public forum. They take up all the airtime and that transcends into politics. The noise drowns out the pro-2A community, isolating us from the world and from each other, to the point we feel alone and ultimately resign. I couldn't tell you how many pro-2A people I meet up with in NOVA get surprised when they meet another gun owner. Gun owners didn't show up to the fight because they feel it's hopeless, because Moms-Demand-Action made them feel that way.

This is only the opening round as the governor has already proclaimed. Next is open carry to be made illegal. Then, Concealed carry will be made into a DC type requirement. Crime in Virginia is going to spike. The moments everyone thought could not happen in America are here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >