Who's Online
9 registered (XX44075, vafred, MKC1911, Spare, PMOORE, SM13, 3 invisible), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1540902 - 09/23/19 12:45 PM Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word?
jtdpowhatan Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Powhatan, VA
City or County: Powhatan
I hope everyone is preparing...our gun rights and many other things are on the line for real come November. PLEASE vote. PLEASE spread the word about what is coming. Join VCDL to help with the fight.

It is clear the current crop of democrats is on a kamikaze course to make Virginia look worse than CA, NY, CT, NJ in one session. I'd recommend taking a look at everything they proposed in January of this year (http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?191+lst+ALL)
1. MAJOR gun control (redefine assault weapon to basically anything semi-auto, ban suppressors, red flag, UBC's, mag cap bans). Leaves us with single shot hunting rifles, shotguns, and revolvers (for now). We will have stricter laws than any state if what they have previously proposed is proposed again).
2. fair housing law - prevents VA localities from not approving low income housing (i.e. like Obama wanted - subsidized housing in rural counties, "rich" areas. your county rejects it, someone complains, your county broke the law). Hello low income housing in your mcmansion neighborhood and your rural county.
3. voting by mail
4. no ID requirements for voting
5. replacement of non-gender terms of all state laws (no more "husband/wife"). change VA Constitution to remove "man and woman" from description of marriage.
6. election day - new school holiday
7. early voting without reason
8. all high school and college kids given voter registration forms (required)
9. repeal Right to Work law
10. Minimum wage goes to $9 an hour
11. abortion - removes requirement for ultrasound and written consent
12. expansion of definition of "hate crimes" and punishments

#1557410 - 11/06/19 01:56 PM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jtdpowhatan]
jtdpowhatan Offline
Double barrel

It happened. Prepare accordingly for January. As written, there is NO GRANDFATHERING. Not for rifles, pistols, suppressors, nothing. Destroy it, surrender it, sell it. Please get involved.

#1557658 - 11/07/19 08:35 AM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jtdpowhatan]
chuckyzfr1 Offline
Bullseye

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Richmond City
HB 2492 was the first one I could find related to magazines and "assault firearms" but I'm sure there are more...

#1557805 - 11/07/19 04:02 PM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jtdpowhatan]
jtdpowhatan Offline
Double barrel

See below for ONE example (there are UBC's, red flag laws and lots of other garbage). In a nutshell, anything semi-auto that is capable of a 10+ round magazine is an "assault firearm" and you can destroy it, surrender it, or sell it out of state or become a felon. Same for suppressors, magazines >10 rounds, etc. Basically all AR15's (rifle or pistol), all semi-auto pistols. Revolvers and single-shot shotguns and "sniper rifles" are all that would be legal. THOSE ARE NEXT - just wait until someone uses a revolver in a shooting...time to rally the troops. Contact your Sheriff, your local board of supervisors, your friends, your neighbors and be ready to stand up and fight.

list from July (special session): https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?192+lst+ALL

The "ban everything" bill with ~25 co-sponsors, all Democrats: https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?192+sum+HB4021

Expands the definition of "assault firearm" and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill also prohibits a person from carrying a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered in a public place; under existing law, this prohibition applies only in certain localities. The bill makes it a Class 6 felony to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport large-capacity firearm magazines, silencers, and trigger activators, all defined in the bill. Any person who legally owns an assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator on November 1, 2019, may retain possession until July 1, 2020.

During that time, such person shall (i) render the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator inoperable; (ii) remove the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator from the Commonwealth; (iii) transfer the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a person outside the Commonwealth who is not prohibited from possessing it; or (iv) surrender the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a state or local law-enforcement agency. The bill establishes an appropriation for the fiscal impact of the bill and authorizes the Director of the Department of Planning and Budget to allocate such appropriation among the agencies and programs impacted by the bill.

"Assault firearm" means:

1. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the rifle; (iii) a thumbhole stock; (iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (v) a bayonet mount; (vi) a grenade launcher; (vii) a flare launcher; (viii) a silencer; (ix) a flash suppressor; (x) a muzzle brake; (xi) a muzzle compensator; (xii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a muzzle brake, or (d) a muzzle compensator; or (xiii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (xii);

3. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

#1563637 - 11/23/19 07:43 PM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jtdpowhatan]
jlw1974 Offline
Ich Shiessen erste, und Fragst Spaeter!

City or County: Loudoun
So wonder if this kit ( https://crossarmory.com/shop/cross-armory-ar-fixed-mag/ ) would get around that law, by fixing a 5 or 10-rnd magazine.

Reading the language, any magazine in excess of 10-rounds would have to find a new home.

#1564110 - 11/25/19 09:30 AM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jtdpowhatan]
Enigma85 Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Spotsyvania
Yea for the magazine aspect you are good but for me at least, problem would be

(the proposed ban everything bill) expands the definition of "assault firearm" and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm.

"Assault firearm" means:

2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the rifle; (iii) a thumbhole stock; (iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (v) a bayonet mount; (vi) blah blah ; (xi) a muzzle compensator

Which like, 100% of garden variety ARs have most of those nifty features which makes me sad.

#1564139 - 11/25/19 11:00 AM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jtdpowhatan]
jpm5321 Offline
Marksman

Loc: VA
City or County: Prince George
The fixed mag should be the fix shouldn’t it? If it can no longer accept detachable magazines then all those other features are a-okay.

#1564173 - 11/25/19 12:59 PM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jpm5321]
Wojownik Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Northern VA
City or County: Fairfax / Loudoun
No, the fixed mag has severe capacity limits as well

#1564334 - 11/25/19 07:24 PM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jtdpowhatan]
jlw1974 Offline
Ich Shiessen erste, und Fragst Spaeter!

City or County: Loudoun
Yes, the definition also states 'in excess of 10 rounds'....so if you fix a 5 or 10-round magazine, say by using that solution from Cross-Armory, then =I would think it takes it out of the definition by:

For section 18.2-308.8.1;
Have under 11-rounds as max capacity satifies it not being an 'assault rifle' under that definition.

For section 18.2-308.8.2
The detachable magazine part is a requirement as part of that section. So having it as a FIXED magazine satifies it not being an 'assault rifle' under that definition. Having a FIXED Magazine and not capable of accepting a detachable magazine (as in without 'tooling' it).

Looking at the proposals, they copied it LITERALLY word-for-word in the same bills that passed in NY, NJ and CT and according to Cross-Armory, that 'fixed magazine' part makes that AR compliant in those states.

I don't like that it one would have to pivot over the upper to load the magazine (5 to 10-rounds only) or use some side-loading magazine tool, but gotta think about plan b....

Maybe an attorney can chime in?

Edited by jlw1974 (11/25/19 07:27 PM)
Edit Reason: content.

#1564587 - 11/26/19 03:04 PM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jlw1974]
WillyJoe Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: New Kent
I was looking at crossarmory yesterday and they have some other products that are California compliant that allow for magizines to be dropped once the upper separates from the lower so you don't have to top or side load. With the upper open, the mag drops, you pivot the lower back down to lock in and then put in a new mag. May be a possibility is this law is passed. They also have a brass insert for the upper so the insert rides on the pin instead of the upper.

Willy

#1564627 - 11/26/19 05:43 PM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jlw1974]
Wojownik Offline
Bolt action

Originally Posted By: jlw1974
I don't like that it one would have to pivot over the upper to load the magazine (5 to 10-rounds only) or use some side-loading magazine tool, but gotta think about plan b....

What I don't like is the number of forum members that seem so ready to accept defeat already, before the bill has even gone to committee.

If you have a Democratic delegate or senator, don't take for granted that he/she will simply fall in line with this extremist proposal. Most will fall in line, indeed. However, there is a chance we can squeak through enough dissent, from moderate Democrats who live in purple districts.

The focus at this point should be on contacting your legislators and reminding them that this extreme legislation is NOT what we understood to be "common sense" gun control, and this is NOT what we elected them to enact.

We might get sunk on some proposed bills (one gun a month, universal background checks ...) but this assault weapons bill is so blatant, such an extreme poke-in-the-eye ...

I hope we can all just keep our eyes on the ball right now - contact your legislators - if we can swing 10 or 11 votes, this bill does not have a majority.

#1565143 - 11/28/19 08:58 AM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: Wojownik]
Swinger Offline
HMFIC

Loc: Smithfield
City or County: Smithfield
Originally Posted By: Wojownik
Originally Posted By: jlw1974

What I don't like is the number of forum members that seem so ready to accept defeat already, before the bill has even gone to committee.

Exactly. I will not comply. Simple as that.

If your signature is filled with unneeded, unnecessary, self imposed requirements or restrictions with LOTS of CAPS for EMPHASIS, you are not helping the community and I will pass on you.

#1565922 - 11/30/19 09:04 PM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jtdpowhatan]
LmgM Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Alexandria
City or County: NOVA
I am highly disappointed with some of the comments above. Anyone who is on here simply looking for a way to comply with the onslaught of these types of all-encompassing bans is MISSING the point and is not standing up for the cause of defending our rights.

If any of you are in this category, you all need to change your mindsets ASAP. The more you all comply, the more they will take. DO NOT BE SHORT-SIGHTED!!

Contact your reps, contact your fellow gun-owners, make noise, be upset, go out and vote, but whatever you do, DO NOT CAPITULATE and give in. We will not be the only ones paying for it, our kids and grandkids will suffer the consequences of these types of defeatist sentiments.

Come on people, we only have each other. We have got to oppose and hopefully reverse these political attacks on our 2A rights. This is not what the USA is about. I did not become a naturalized citizen just to have these rights stripped from me and my family.

#1566127 - 12/01/19 01:49 PM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: jtdpowhatan]
Gnome Offline
For alt vi har. Og alt vi er.

Loc: Fort Walker, Va.
City or County: Hanover County
More children have died in parked vehicles this year, due to being left inside a hot vehicle, than have been killed in school shootings.

That is a fact.

Propose a ban on high capacity vehicles.

Or seat belts on school buses to save children.

...but limiting lawful gun ownership in any means only enables the corrupt governing bodies to take away more liberties and property while fostering the resolve of criminals to attack the unarmed innocent.

#1566405 - 12/02/19 09:40 AM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: LmgM]
Enigma85 Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Spotsyvania
Originally Posted By: LmgM
I am highly disappointed with some of the comments above. Anyone who is on here simply looking for a way to comply with the onslaught of these types of all-encompassing bans is MISSING the point and is not standing up for the cause of defending our rights.

If any of you are in this category, you all need to change your mindsets ASAP. The more you all comply, the more they will take. DO NOT BE SHORT-SIGHTED!!

This. The more we cave the more they take. I couldn't imagine something like the Hong Kong protests happening here, but I am sure they didn't see it coming either.

The many should not be punished for actions of a few crazy people.

#1566427 - 12/02/19 10:31 AM Re: Elections in November. Is everyone spreading the word? [Re: Enigma85]
Wojownik Offline
Bolt action

Originally Posted By: Enigma85
The many should not be punished for actions of a few crazy people.

Exactly. Especially when the actions of a few crazy people could have been prevented if the authorities just. did. their. jobs.

Yes, some of these events were really random, and seemingly came out of nowhere.

But many - even most - would have been prevented via proper conduct of background checks and .gov actually putting info into NICS like they are supposed to.

"We the people" have not failed. "They the government" failed in their jobs. But "we the people" must be the ones to be punished. Government must fix its own problems first before even daring to suggest more restrictions on the citizenry.

Just look at the last few years of "mass shootings"

The Alexandria shootings at the Republic softball game in Alexandria VA. The perpetrator was a left-wing activist and looney, with a violent background, who never should have been in possession of a firearm to begin with. Failure of local authorities to prosecute a violent family abuser, failure of the system to not have a guy like this in NICS.

Virginia Tech shooting - the perpetrator was not even in the system even though he was diagnosed with severe mental issues. Failure of the law, failure of the system. Oh, and the weapon used was a pistol, not an "assault weapon"

The Appomatox shootings in 2010 - the perpetrator again had mental issues - friends, family and co-workers knew it, yet nobody did anything. And ... the weapons used weren't the type to be covered in this AWB bill anyway.

Why go into these details? BECAUSE THE VERY PREMISE OF THIS AWB BILL IS FLAWED. If should not pass a test of strict scrutiny in the court - there is no "compelling governmental interest" since we're not really able to identify a real crime wave with these types of firearms, and a sweeping ban is hardly a narrowly tailored law to achieve that (non-existent) interest.

The AWB bill is a political measure, designed to punish gun owning Virginians, and serves no compelling government interest.