Who's Online
13 registered (kellog, vshlopak, golfdog, rollon, dnunn, dzz, hds, jrd, larry1341, thedorkknight, aktinker, 2 invisible), 6 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1561715 - 11/18/19 03:52 PM 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it
AStrayToaster Offline
Single barrel

Loc: PG
City or County: PG
I am picking up a 6.5 Carcano Cavalry tonight (11/18) and I am aware the actual round may differ a bit than what the box might say.
So, how do I measure the bore to determine what ammo would be best fit for the rifle?

#1561749 - 11/18/19 05:44 PM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: AStrayToaster]
dustydog Offline
drooling old single shot fanatic

Loc: Chester
City or County: Chester
remove action from stock
remove bolt from action
place barrel vertically in a bench vice with wooden blocks to prevent scaring
place cardboard box with a rag or two under muzzle
Drop a DEAD SOFT lead ball of oversized caliber into chamber (#1 buck would work well)
With a 3/16 BRASS punch,drive the shot into the throat and then fully into the rifling(if the bore is iffy,coat ball with some case lube)
push ball thru the bore and out of muzzle with cleaning rod into cardboard box
measure distance across grooves with micrometer or good calipers

Edited by dustydog (11/18/19 06:49 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

Don't blame me if you find your life wanting,it takes sand to bet it all on one card.

Waiting for snow to cover my tracks.

#1561893 - 11/19/19 03:28 AM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: dustydog]
AStrayToaster Offline
Single barrel

A bit out of my ability to do, is this something a gunsmith can determine? (yeah, I'm new to all this, sorry)
In addition, the rifle came with some ammo, Graf and sons (by hornaday) 6.5, but when I place a round in the end of the barrel, it sticks out quite a bit, like this pic attached.
Is this normal? Or should I not fire it?

Attachments
PB120019.JPG

#1562021 - 11/19/19 12:46 PM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: AStrayToaster]
MetroBluing Offline
Always Lurking

Loc: Va
City or County: Loudoun
Get yourself some Cerrosafe. It’s cheap ,easy to use and will answer all of your questions. Even a caveman could do it.

Edited by MetroBluing (11/19/19 12:49 PM)

#1562080 - 11/19/19 04:19 PM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: AStrayToaster]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

Loc: Dale City Va.
City or County: Dale City

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1562085 - 11/19/19 04:45 PM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: AStrayToaster]
dustydog Offline
drooling old single shot fanatic

Loc: Chester
City or County: Chester
Originally Posted By: AStrayToaster
A bit out of my ability to do, is this something a gunsmith can determine? (yeah, I'm new to all this, sorry)
In addition, the rifle came with some ammo, Graf and sons (by hornaday) 6.5, but when I place a round in the end of the barrel, it sticks out quite a bit, like this pic attached.
Is this normal? Or should I not fire it?

Not quite sure would like to see the headstamp on the cartridge(the writing at the primer end)but that does not look like a Carcano cartridge.Do you have the box the cartridges came in? A photo of both or either would help.

Don't blame me if you find your life wanting,it takes sand to bet it all on one card.

Waiting for snow to cover my tracks.

#1562369 - 11/20/19 12:06 PM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: AStrayToaster]
Ammo&Relics Offline
Fat as a 45 but moves like a 22

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Louisa
They sell 6.5 but it's not cheap but can be found it's all soft top ammo, Clark brothers did carry it but if the rifle wasn't used by special forces the are generally between 125 and 250 dollars I owned one but the ammo cost and lack of stripper clips made me trade it away.

**USE THE MARK TOPIC SOLD BUTTON**

#1562599 - 11/21/19 06:53 AM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: mequirky]
MetroBluing Offline
Always Lurking

Loc: Va
City or County: Loudoun
Originally Posted By: mequirky

+1 for listening to Larry

#1562656 - 11/21/19 09:39 AM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: AStrayToaster]
AStrayToaster Offline
Single barrel

Thank you, gentlemen, for your help. I had it looked at and it's been determined it's ok, and I was just unfamiliar with how the carcano was made (that .268 caliber) so hopefully I can take it out this sunday to a range somewhere and see how it does.

Cheers!

#1566238 - 12/01/19 07:37 PM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: AStrayToaster]
AStrayToaster Offline
Single barrel

Took it out yesterday (Saturday) and it fired fine. Found some en-bloc clips from a local gun shop and they fed fine as well.
Thank you all for your kind help

#1568909 - 12/08/19 07:58 PM Re: 6.5 Carcano...determining proper ammo for it [Re: AStrayToaster]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
6.5 Carcano ammo is easy to find. Be glad it's not 7.35
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.