Who's Online
10 registered (kapon, Walthergobrrr, Matt69, FEgg, Va Hunter, SABU, Avman, 13D_B3S, 2 invisible), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1575174 - 12/26/19 11:57 AM VA SB16 BANNING OF ALL SEMI-AUTO
Gnome Offline
For alt vi har. Og alt vi er.

Loc: Fort Walker, Va.
City or County: Hanover County
Sen. Richard Saslaw [D]

Summary
Prohibiting sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms and certain firearm magazines; penalties. Expands the definition of "assault firearm" and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill also prohibits a person from carrying a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered in a public place; under existing law, this prohibition applies only in certain localities. The bill makes it a Class 1 misdemeanor to import, sell, barter, or transfer any firearm magazine designed to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

https://legiscan.com/VA/bill/SB16/2020

A. For the purposes of this section:

"Assault firearm" means:

1. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the rifle; (iii) a thumbhole stock; (iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (v) a bayonet mount; (vi) a grenade launcher; (vii) a flare launcher; (viii) a silencer; (ix) a flash suppressor; (x) a muzzle brake; (xi) a muzzle compensator; (xii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a muzzle brake, or (d) a muzzle compensator; or (xiii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (xii);

3. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

4. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a thumbhole stock; (iii) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (iv) the capacity to accept a magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (v) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the pistol with the non-trigger hand without being burned; (vi) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; (vii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a barrel extender, or (d) a forward handgrip; or (viii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (vii);

5. A shotgun with a revolving cylinder that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material; or

6. A semi-automatic shotgun that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock, (ii) a thumbhole stock, (iii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the shotgun, (iv) the ability to accept a detachable magazine, (v) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds, or (vi) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (v).

"Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm. "Assault firearm" does not include (i) a firearm that has been rendered permanently inoperable, (ii) an antique firearm as defined in §18.2-308.2:2, or (iii) a curio or relic as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2.

B. It shall be is unlawful for any person to import, sell, possess or transfer the following firearms: the Striker 12, commonly called a "streetsweeper," or any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun of like kind with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding twelve shotgun shells, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport an assault firearm. A violation of this section shall be is punishable as a Class 6 felony.

§18.2-308.9. Sale, transfer, etc., of certain firearm magazines prohibited; penalty.

A. Any person who imports, sells, barters, or transfers any firearm magazine that is designed to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) the manufacture by, transfer to, or possession by the Commonwealth or a department, agency, or political subdivision of the Commonwealth; (ii) the transfer to or possession by a law-enforcement officer employed by such an entity for purposes of law enforcement; or (iii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law-enforcement agency and who is not otherwise prohibited from receiving ammunition transferred to the individual by the law-enforcement agency upon his retirement of such firearm magazines.

Edited by Gnome (12/26/19 12:42 PM)

#1575294 - 12/26/19 06:08 PM Re: VA SB16 BANNING OF ALL SEMI-AUTO [Re: Gnome]
Jon5722 Offline
Single barrel

Loc: NOVA
City or County: FFX
I just noticed this part today.

Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm. "Assault firearm" does not include (i) a firearm that has been rendered permanently inoperable, (ii) an antique firearm as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2, or (iii) a curio or relic as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?192+ful+HB4021

If I’m reading that right it means you would not be allowed to possess collapsible stocks, vertical fore grips, or any other item that could be added to a “non assault firearm” and turn it into an “assault firearm”.

#1575302 - 12/26/19 06:36 PM Re: VA SB16 BANNING OF ALL SEMI-AUTO [Re: Jon5722]
LmgM Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Alexandria
City or County: NOVA
Originally Posted By: Jon5722
I just noticed this part today.

Bingo. You’re a little late to the party but you’re right about your statement about not being able to own any of those parts. Ever heard of the “constructive possession” concept? This is intended to be the same thing.

#1576520 - 12/30/19 07:31 AM Re: VA SB16 BANNING OF ALL SEMI-AUTO [Re: Gnome]
Gnome Offline

Important to keep these on the cusp of conversation.

#1579642 - 01/08/20 07:55 AM Re: VA SB16 BANNING OF ALL SEMI-AUTO [Re: Gnome]
Gnome Offline

Bump