Who's Online
12 registered (knothead, MegaArsenal, htc0, 2headwolf, Nacholibre, 83Rabbit, 6 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1581760 - 01/13/20 06:12 PM Moved To Florida & Back to Virgina
CnlJessup Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Nova
Hi Guys

I have a question, Im a long time member and supporter of VGT over a 10yrs
I was stationed in Virginia on active duty but when my tour was up
I moved to Florida now I have returned, but now I have Florida credentials
Florida has similar Gun Laws as Virginia I say all that to ask the question
of "Is returning to this forum as a purchase option an Ok Idea or does
it not make sense with Florida/Mil Identification.

One of the Draw Backs to Military Life is the constant transition from Duty
Station to duty station and having to start all over again.

please advise I am no longer on active duty so I dont have orders anymore
And im not selling my house in Florida.

Thanks In advance VGT members

Edited by CnlJessup (03/27/20 01:05 AM)

#1583559 - 01/18/20 07:11 AM Re: Moved To Florida & Back to Virgina [Re: CnlJessup]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
Are you now a resident and citizen of VA? Do you pay your taxes here and vote here? I believe the answer to those questions drive the answer as to how your transactions must be conducted.

If VA is your legal residence then it means you 'live' here over 185 days per year and would be taxed as a VA resident. If you maintain FL home for tax purposes and claim FL residence and citizenship you cannot transact a firearm purchase as a VA citizen, I believe. If you are a VA citizen you have to change over your driver's license over to VA I believe.

#1612611 - 03/27/20 01:06 AM Re: Moved To Florida & Back to Virgina [Re: Mark S]
CnlJessup Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Nova
Hey Mark its been years since we spoke
Im %100 certain you dont remember me
But you're a good man a rational man

#1612825 - 03/27/20 12:31 PM Re: Moved To Florida & Back to Virgina [Re: CnlJessup]
nvcdl Offline
Bullseye

Loc: ORANGE
City or County: Orange
If you reside in Virginia you should be considered a legal resident.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-constitutes-residency-state

#1615308 - 03/31/20 10:50 PM Re: Moved To Florida & Back to Virgina [Re: CnlJessup]
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax
You must reside in Virginia at least half of the year.

You CAN be a resident of two states and while you are living in each state, you can legally purchase.

The problem is credentials -- the VSP documents go by ID -- usually driver license, but you can also show passport or USID/CAC but you will need to prove residence by showing other items such as utility bill, rental agreement, etc. Some dealers may not like that and MOST private sellers will probably not like it at all.

Here is the ATF's statement on dual-state residency WRT firearms purchases:

Quote:
"ATF has previously addressed the eligibility of individuals to acquire firearms who maintain residences in more than one State. Federal regulations at 27 CFR 478.11 (definition of State of Residence), Example 2, clarify that a U.S. citizen with homes in two States may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. See also ATF Publication 5300.4 (2005), Question and Answer B12, page 179. Similarly, in ATF Ruling 80-21 (ATFB 1980-4, 25), ATF held that, during the time college students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an off-campus location, they are considered residents of the State where the on-campus or off-campus housing is located."

See Ruling 2010-6

ATF Pub 5300.4 (2005) Q&A B12:

Quote:
(B12) May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State?

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.
[27 CFR 478.11]

Edited by izymic (03/31/20 11:02 PM)