Who's Online
11 registered (Echo168, Illmatic83, Yamahayz250rider, spaatz11, flben, Trainman37, Andrew454, RedBeardOutlaw, 3 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1627519 - 04/25/20 05:06 PM why are used glock prices more than new?
757ian123 Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: VA
City or County: VIRGINIA BEACH
Like the title says, why are the classifieds flooded with used Glocks with prices that are above retail? Am I missing something?

#1627527 - 04/25/20 05:14 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
nvcdl Offline
Bullseye

Loc: ORANGE
City or County: Orange
Lots of people try to recover what they paid at retail. Typically glocks sell pretty well at 400-500 depending on condition.

#1627682 - 04/25/20 11:24 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
Originally Posted By: 757ian123
Am I missing something?

You're missing the 50+ threads on this topic already.
Why? Because it's a free market. Don't like the price, move on to the next one. If it's a current gun that I can buy in a store, I usually do. It's usually less hassle all around.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1627829 - 04/26/20 10:22 AM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: rromeo]
757ian123 Offline
Pea shooter

It's a waste of people's time and crowds up the classifieds. People that are actually serious about buying one click on the ad, only to find that they could buy it cheaper in the store at full price.

I have a lot of hobbies, and guns are the only one where this kind of pricing nonsense exists with no explanation other than "I can ask whatever I want for it"

It makes me wonder if they are trying to sell to people with criminal records who otherwise wouldn't be able to purchase a gun

#1627862 - 04/26/20 11:51 AM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Then send a message to the people with guns for sale and ask them. The rest of us really have no control over them.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1627865 - 04/26/20 11:58 AM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: rromeo]
cadi86 Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Cape Charles,Va
City or County: Northampton
Originally Posted By: rromeo
Am I missing something?

You're missing the 50+ threads on this topic already.
Why? Because it's a free market. Don't like the price, move on to the next one. If it's a current gun that I can buy in a store, I usually do. It's usually less hassle all around.

Enough said

#1627876 - 04/26/20 12:24 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
757ian123 -
First, welcome to the site and community! What you've noticed and commented on is something that has been observed and debated many times over the years on this site (and others). Please don't feel like there are no good deals or that, the overwhelming majority of people on here are anything less than honest, hardworking, stand-up men and women who want to pursue their hobby and follow the law. If you stick with us for a few months, Im confident that you'll find whatever you are looking for here on Tinder VA Gun Trader if you stick around for a while! If you're looking for a special Glock, but can't seem to find one priced the way you want, I encourage you to create a Want to Buy post with your requirements.

Second, in regards to a point you brought up in your post,
It makes me wonder if they are trying to sell to people with criminal records who otherwise wouldn't be able to purchase a gun

That's quick leap to a baseless conclusion, imho. Maybe let the data tell the story before throwing felonious accusations around - look at the number of bumps (which equates to time on market) overpriced guns get before they are sold compared to the number of bumps fairly priced guns get before they are sold. I think you'll see that actual sales (not just asking prices) are driven by fairly priced, well described, and well photographed posts. We all see overpriced guns listed here and a few reasons that I've noticed personally for this are:

- Misinformed sellers who don't really know what the fair market value of their firearm is.
- Sellers basing their asking price on what they paid for their gun. E.g. - during times of political uncertainty, demand increases faster than supply, so if a seller purchased during a time like this, they could have paid considerably more than today's 'new' price.
- Sellers wanting to get the full value they paid from a gun because of the belief that firing a gun even several hundred times, in some cases, does not appreciably reduce the usefulness, reliability, or lifespan of a gun.
- Sellers wanting to get money back on all the accessories and 'upgrades' they have purchased.
- Sellers being emotionally attached to their gun.
- Seller really wants to trade into something else, but would consider a cash offer if it was high enough, but this site is not an auction/best offer site, so seller may put a high cash price to increase the value of both the cash and trade offers they receive.
- There are normal economic conditions at work as as well - sometimes new guns are not available to purchase locally or online - this enables sellers to ask more.

#1627906 - 04/26/20 01:42 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
haulingman Offline
Addicted

Loc: springfield, va
City or County: Fairfax county
It makes me wonder if they are trying to sell to people with criminal records who otherwise wouldn't be able to purchase a gun. (quoted from above)

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY THIS ALL STOPS JULY 1st , unfortunately. You aren't the only one who has wondered that. So did a bunch of state legislators so private transfers without going through a FFL will soon be history. Whether this much beloved board even survives after July 1st is a huge question. Meeting someone for a transaction is already a huge pain. Meeting during business hours at a FFL for a transfer ? How many people will do that when sometimes you don't really save much more than $50-100 ? You can save that at a gun show.

The end of "parking lot sales" along with the pandemic has caused handgun prices here to pop a bit. Right now there is a guy on here with 1/2 dozen used handguns listed at full retail as if new. They don't seem to be moving but they are listed. Nothing a board operator can really do but shake their head and wonder why God created some really stupid people. There is also a shotgun listed $300 over full retail. LOL
If moderators even emailed every idiot every time they overpriced a listing , It would be a full time job and require a salary & benefit package. This site couldn't exist without a high membership fee and commission on every sale. Ad revenue wouldn't cover the overhead.

That's the real reason you see so many overpriced listings.

The real benefit to this site to me has been the amazing people I have meet, that I otherwise wouldn't have. For that I will be eternally grateful to the board owner & moderators that have made this little corner of the internet a pretty special place.

#1628065 - 04/26/20 08:02 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
757ian123 Offline
Pea shooter

Thank you both for the serious answers. I think you made some good points.

I will add that I did do a quick google search on this topic before posting and did not find any answers, although I did not search specifically on this forum.

I'm not a huge fan of Glock but I have noticed they seem to be overpriced more than other brands so that is why I asked (yes, I realize that even a "fairly" priced used Glock goes for very close to retail). A glock that is $500 new can be sold for $450. I wouldn't pay it, but plenty of people would so that makes it a fair market value. People asking $550-$600 just does not make any logical sense to me or anyone else who has a brain between their ears.

My question has been answered for the most part. There's always going to be people who are misinformed on the value of their stuff, but it definitely seems to be more common with guns than other things that I've bought and sold.

#1628399 - 04/27/20 03:16 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
FreddyVon Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Lorton
I would also say that in the current times, when someone puts a price out there people automatically throw some low ball offer. I know for me it aggravates me when i put a good price on something say 600 and someone comes in and is like "Ill give you 250 for it" I just started putting retail prices on it and someone will come along and offer me what i want for it. JMO

#1628401 - 04/27/20 03:22 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
chank3 Offline
Single barrel

City or County: Falls Church
Panic buyers who want something and want it NOW! You can wait to pick up your NIB Glock from a gunstore in 10 days or you can get it from armslist from some dude this afternoon.

#1628445 - 04/27/20 05:30 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
XDSbob Offline
Addicted

Loc: Tidewater
City or County: Chesapeake
Because it is VBT. VA Bump Trader.

#1628566 - 04/27/20 10:07 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: chank3]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Originally Posted By: chank3
Panic buyers who want something and want it NOW! You can wait to pick up your NIB Glock from a gunstore in 10 days or you can get it from armslist from some dude this afternoon.

Why wait 10 days?

#1628591 - 04/28/20 12:17 AM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
stone2032 Offline
Gun fool

Loc: stone2032
City or County: Centreville
The market is high right now. Not just glocks, but everything! Have you checked in store pricing lately? I visited two stores in NOVA over the weekend. Glock 17’s new we’re priced at $599. 34’s were around $640 I believe.

Shoot Vienna Arsenal had Sig P365 (not xl model) & Springfield Hellcats new priced $150 over what you would pay at any other store!!

All I’m trying to say is new or used the market is high right now and with July 1st around the corner then the Presidential election, prices will likely continue to rise especially if Covid-19 sticks around for awhile.

#1628801 - 04/28/20 12:46 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: stone2032]
757ian123 Offline
Pea shooter

Very true, but this has also been going on before the COVID-19 crisis as well

#1628814 - 04/28/20 01:26 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax
If you think the resale on Glocks is high, look at the resale on Anderson AR receivers/guns. I mean, you can polish a turd, but why?

#1629072 - 04/28/20 08:46 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
I propose 2 changes

This board should allow members to post links in all "For Sale" posts. Links only - no comments

Example: A poster advertises a Glock 20 for $675 with no comments.

A member could post this link...
https://www.esramey.com/handguns/semi-au...ock-oem-rail-15

or

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/glock-20-sf-semi-auto-pistol

Posting such links could accomplish several things.

1. Aid the seller in establishing a reasonable sale price. His item would sell promptly rather than sitting in a stagnate post because the seller unknowingly over-priced his item.

2. Aid potential buyers in establishing a value on a desired purchase (new vs. used gun).

3. Provide a service to folks browsing for a specific item (the seller probably has only 1), so it would be nice to know about a good deal on a new one elsewhere.

3. Prod the seller to give further details on their item justifying the extra asking price i.e. modifications, add-ons, finish, shipping, scarcity, etc.

4. Prod the seller to post photos to show the fantastic condition of their firearm.

If the seller wishes to continue with the inflated price, for whatever reason, he can simply ignore the links.

I ran a study on this site a couple years back. I posted several items at about "new" prices then bumped the items every few days and reduced the price slightly each time.

I started getting responses at around 90% of Cabela's normal inflated price. If the price got to my bottom acceptable limit I pulled the ad.

The other change to this site I would like to see is a 1-2 week post being allowed, then each bump must be accompanied with a price drop. ($5 or a %, whatever).

Edited by bustedknee (04/28/20 09:18 PM)

#1629209 - 04/29/20 08:54 AM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax
dream on, dreamer. :-)

#1629304 - 04/29/20 12:35 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
757ian123 Offline
Pea shooter

I think those are great ideas, allow 1 or 2 bumps then after that they must require a price-drop

#1629319 - 04/29/20 01:19 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

City or County: Lynchburg
Why are folks on here so insistent on meddling with someone's pricing? There's this great thing called capitalism where people can attempt to buy and sell how they want. Free market economy. If someone wants to post a bone stock used and abused Glock 17 for $30,000 so what, that affects none of us, you aren't forced to buy it. Also, if you don't have the cash to buy whatever it is you are looking at and whining about, go drum up more cash OR move on and find something within your price range. Not that hard to figure out fellers. I'm always very amazed that folks on here seem so keen to tell the gov to keep their nose out of someone's business but they're more than happy to pounce on an opportunity to get some sort of extra pricing regulation or bump requirements. And stick their nose where it doesn't belong, since it doesn't affect you.

Edited by Verylargeboots (04/29/20 01:19 PM)

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes

#1629322 - 04/29/20 01:29 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
The Truth Offline
The iguana is on the rock

Loc: Henrico
City or County: Henrico
Seriously how hard is it to just NOT click the ad or just click BACK if it's priced too high?

Mind your own business and mosey on now.

If your first thought is "there should be a rule..." just because something annoys you, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

S&W Model 1076 TEU- prefix FBI issue

CZ Model 457 Varmint 22WMR
Ruger Hawkeye Compact 308

#1629325 - 04/29/20 01:34 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
UBU0550 Offline
Addicted

City or County: Culpeper
The point missing in all of this is the reason you see the overpriced guns is the fact that they aren't selling at their dumb price. The ones that are priced reasonably are gone within one or two days, and you never see them bump. And complaining about the effort of using your middle finger to scroll the mouse down a little bit further to the next listing on a free website is ridiculous.

#1629359 - 04/29/20 03:04 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: UBU0550]
nvcdl Offline
Bullseye

Loc: ORANGE
City or County: Orange
Originally Posted By: UBU0550
The point missing in all of this is the reason you see the overpriced guns is the fact that they aren't selling at their dumb price. The ones that are priced reasonably are gone within one or two days, and you never see them bump. And complaining about the effort of using your middle finger to scroll the mouse down a little bit further to the next listing on a free website is ridiculous.

Yup - people usually adjust price eventually. Often the best deals are on over-priced - poorly described stuff that has sat for weeks.

Edited by nvcdl (04/29/20 03:05 PM)

#1629442 - 04/29/20 06:03 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: 757ian123]
One Shot Offline
Marksman

Loc: Gloucester
City or County: Gloucester
Maybe you’re looking at it all wrong? You could call firing a gun as “breaking in /final fit and finish/polishing” and bill it as a gunsmithing service so it’s worth more now right?

#1629540 - 04/29/20 09:39 PM Re: why are used glock prices more than new? [Re: Verylargeboots]
757ian123 Offline
Pea shooter

Originally Posted By: Verylargeboots
Why are folks on here so insistent on meddling with someone's pricing? There's this great thing called capitalism where people can attempt to buy and sell how they want. Free market economy. If someone wants to post a bone stock used and abused Glock 17 for $30,000 so what, that affects none of us, you aren't forced to buy it. Also, if you don't have the cash to buy whatever it is you are looking at and whining about, go drum up more cash OR move on and find something within your price range. Not that hard to figure out fellers. I'm always very amazed that folks on here seem so keen to tell the gov to keep their nose out of someone's business but they're more than happy to pounce on an opportunity to get some sort of extra pricing regulation or bump requirements. And stick their nose where it doesn't belong, since it doesn't affect you.

Sounds like you've got some overpriced guns for sale grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >