Who's Online
10 registered (Ianmcall, JamesG24, Rich_K, Too, WombatRider, Craaber, 4 invisible), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1611073 - 03/23/20 11:27 PM Storing Firearms/Ammo in Home vs Garage
Lucian Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Arlington
I'm moving from Arlington to DC in about a week and leaving my firearms and ammo with a friend. The firearms will be in a locked foot locker, and though I couldn't say it was airtight, it's pretty close. Ammo will be in the same footlocker and ammo cases. He has two places I could store them in his detached garage, which I think he'd prefer or a storage room in his basement that used to have mold issues but thinks it's resolved.

My questions are: are there any issues or drawback in storing the firearms and/or ammo in the detached garage where the temperature will go up and down all the time and maybe be humid at times? And should I care at all about the potential mold issues, with a sealed foot locker? The handguns will be in cases inside the locker as well.

Thanks for an info you can provide.

#1612220 - 03/26/20 10:11 AM Re: Storing Firearms/Ammo in Home vs Garage [Re: Lucian]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

Loc: VA, USA
City or County: Fairfax
You could get some kitty litter, pour it into a coffee filter, staple it up. You got yourself a cheap and easy way to keep moisture out of the ammo. Leave one of those in each ammo can. I've been fine after leaving it to sit 5 years ago and shooting it this year.

"To conquer a nation you must first disarms the citizens" --Adolf Hitler 1933

"Write it down and remember that we never gave in." - Immortal Technique

"Fight fire with water." Me

#1612221 - 03/26/20 10:11 AM Re: Storing Firearms/Ammo in Home vs Garage [Re: Lucian]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

Loc: VA, USA
1 teaspoon or tablespoon. You don't need much.

"To conquer a nation you must first disarms the citizens" --Adolf Hitler 1933

"Write it down and remember that we never gave in." - Immortal Technique

"Fight fire with water." Me

#1628815 - 04/28/20 01:29 PM Re: Storing Firearms/Ammo in Home vs Garage [Re: Lucian]
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
Spray it down with something like Eezox. It's a cleaner/lube but it dries and will protect better than anything else.

Google "eezox salt spray" and you can find several pictorials of how well it protects against corrosion.

Add a desiccant bag and it will be ok for a long time.

#1636917 - 05/15/20 08:20 PM Re: Storing Firearms/Ammo in Home vs Garage [Re: Lucian]
chuckjordan2 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Henrico
Have you considered renting an indoor (climate controlled) storage space? When I lived in Arlington & DC I rented at the (forgot the company name) in Ballston.

I wiped gear grease on my bluing and wrapped them in newspapers, inside a cardboard box.

It really comes down to their value and what you're willing to pay to preserve them.

#1641077 - 05/26/20 03:51 AM Re: Storing Firearms/Ammo in Home vs Garage [Re: Lucian]
Adonai Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Richmond
Hey mate, just like this powerful statement, "store in a cool dry place". That is all. Make sure your friend place them where the temperature/weather won't damage them (Ammo/Firearm) either. Cheers on your re-location to DC, may your move bring you fortune.