Who's Online
14 registered (Awonder, Philly86, DamonL, DKurtz, ivon2028, milprileb, mike4570, Mph621, GStar122, 5 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1626504 - 04/23/20 01:42 PM How much land is needed to shoot?
digitalsquirrel Offline
Bolt action

Loc: VA, USA
City or County: Chantilly
Thinking about moving from NoVA to RVA. Anybody know how much land is needed in order to shoot on your own property?

#1626518 - 04/23/20 02:15 PM Re: How much land is needed to shoot? [Re: digitalsquirrel]
Newgunguy Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Goochland
I do believe that its just 500 feet from any other dwelling that isn't owned by you. Though that isn't even really secure since you could move next door to some liberal demotard and if they are connected to any of this states Nazi pigs, well it wouldn't be good for you. Best bet is to move out more into tye country and get five acres or more.
Charles.

#1626644 - 04/23/20 07:07 PM Re: How much land is needed to shoot? [Re: digitalsquirrel]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
Will you be in the city of Richmond, Henrico County, Hanover County, Chesterfield County? It varies. Richmond is no go, unless at a range. Hanover is 100 Yards from any occupied dwelling. Henrico and Chesterfield are a little more free, but as said above, you might get grief from neighbors. Usually nothing happens, other than wasting your time. When I lived in Varina, (eastern Henrico County) the U.S. Park ranger stopped by one day. His big concern was that I wasn't hunting on the park service property, and I wasn't shooting towards the road. I showed him my back stop, and he was satisfied.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1644965 - 06/04/20 03:57 PM Re: How much land is needed to shoot? [Re: rromeo]
CrazyHeinz Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Falmouth
City or County: Stafford
Originally Posted By: rromeo
It varies.

The good rromeo is correct. "It depends" is the answer. I would also recommend that you check not only the county/city "at large" ordinances but also see if you live in a "no shoot" zone.

I say that as here in Stafford County there are a few areas where shooting is expressly prohibited due to the built up nature of the area, homes, roads, etc. So you could be moving to Chesterfield county, for example, and think you are fine only to discover you live in a place that is further restricted.

Good hunting, figuratively speaking!

#1646738 - 06/09/20 01:43 AM Re: How much land is needed to shoot? [Re: digitalsquirrel]
Seatbelts Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: VA
City or County: Lynchburg
I'll defer to those in RVA for the exact locality's rules and regulations but I can give you an idea of what my brother does. He lives on about 1.5 acres give or take, but its not next to any houses (all on the other side of the road) but near enough to main roads and populated areas its not a good idea to have a range day at his house. However a nice workaround to that has been his suppressors. While he still only shoots the AR's when hes zeroing an optic or testing something, the noise is considerably dampened. But what you can, and he does shoot a ton of is his suppressed .22 rifles and pistols. Its not perfect, but even in a more populated area it still allows you to do some training without having to make a day of it. Personally I wouldn't set up a home range with less then 5 acres, and I would only do it if I was in a more rural area.

#1646740 - 06/09/20 02:17 AM Re: How much land is needed to shoot? [Re: digitalsquirrel]
HMMH Offline
Marksman

Loc: West Richmond Area
City or County: West Richmond Area

wink

Edited by HMMH (06/15/20 02:49 AM)