Who's Online
11 registered (Irunwire, powderfinger37, GreenArrow08, Spatula_Man, GWC3, dickalma, JamesChang, mmc-ret, nilonerx, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1658251 - 07/10/20 11:01 PM Transfer Fees for private sales
Johnathon Offline
Addicted

Loc: Stafford VA
City or County: Stafford
So I did my first, post July 1 , sale today and we went to SSG in Fredericksburg to conduct the UBC. When we got there they claimed we had to pay the $40 transfer fee because "they don't participate in the program" for the $15 maximum charge.

I was under the impression that it was written into the law on UBC and could not be exceeded not some program they could ignore. I'm all for free business but I'm also against getting taken advantage of by the businesses that are supposed to be apart of the community.

Does anyone have any insight on the $15 transfer fees being optional?

We do firearms training for all skill levels. From first time gun owners to avid professionals, we match training to your proficiency.

www.distinguishedtactical.com

#1658316 - 07/11/20 09:14 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
twodents Offline
Bolt action

Loc: VA
No idea but try JC Firearms. Local stafford FFL. Good guy

#1658395 - 07/11/20 05:35 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: twodents]
Johnathon Offline
Addicted

i'll see what his are. sometimes I have to meet someone in the middle to sell or buy something so i won't be able to always use a local guy.

We do firearms training for all skill levels. From first time gun owners to avid professionals, we match training to your proficiency.

#1658523 - 07/12/20 11:22 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
nvcdl Offline
Bullseye

Loc: ORANGE
City or County: Orange
Originally Posted By: Johnathon
So I did my first, post July 1 , sale today and we went to SSG in Fredericksburg to conduct the UBC. When we got there they claimed we had to pay the $40 transfer fee because "they don't participate in the program" for the $15 maximum charge.

I was under the impression that it was written into the law on UBC and could not be exceeded not some program they could ignore. I'm all for free business but I'm also against getting taken advantage of by the businesses that are supposed to be apart of the community.

Does anyone have any insight on the $15 transfer fees being optional?

You might try Gander Outdoors just down the road.

#1658564 - 07/12/20 03:11 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Johnathon Offline
Addicted

I just called Gander and they charge the $15 + $2 (for the background check).

Edited by Johnathon (07/12/20 03:11 PM)

#1658597 - 07/12/20 06:03 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
nvcdl Offline
Bullseye

Loc: ORANGE
Originally Posted By: Johnathon
I just called Gander and they charge the $15 + $2 (for the background check).

Great - Also I was told they do transfers for free if you are a member of their Good Sam Club - not sure if this applies to private sales

#1660799 - 07/23/20 10:20 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: nvcdl]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Fredericksburg
I'm not sure who told you $15 but I just spoke to the firearms manager and confirmed it is $30.

I have been a Good Sam member for years. A Good Sam membership at Gander is $29 per year (discounts for more years). In regards to firearms, here is what they offer to members at this time (subject to change):

Free FFL Transfers (buy from other company and ship to Gander)
10% off Private Transfer fee ($27 vs $30)
2% off firearms purchases
2% off ammo purchases
Members-only discounts off firearms (they send an email and flyer to members)

You still pay the $2 fee to the VA State Police for any/all transfer (i.e. background check).

HTH

#1660801 - 07/23/20 10:38 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

UPDATE - I'm working with Gander now to determine if the fee for private transfers is capped or not.

The VA State Police website says it is capped at $15 but Section 18.2-308.2.2 does not set a cap for private transfer fees.

If anyone has already done the research on this, let me know.

#1660826 - 07/23/20 11:53 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

UPDATE - I also contacted VSP directly. They promptly provided insight. The fee for obtaining a background check for a private transfer is capped at $15 per Section 18.2-308.2.5, paragraph A, last sentence.

§ 18.2-308.2:5. Criminal history record information check required to sell firearm; penalty.
A. No person shall sell a firearm for money, goods, services or anything else of value unless he has obtained verification from a licensed dealer in firearms that information on the prospective purchaser has been submitted for a criminal history record information check as set out in § 18.2-308.2:2 and that a determination has been received from the Department of State Police that the prospective purchaser is not prohibited under state or federal law from possessing a firearm or such sale is specifically exempted by state or federal law. The Department of State Police shall provide a means by which sellers may obtain from designated licensed dealers the approval or denial of firearm transfer requests, based on criminal history record information checks. The processes established shall conform to the provisions of § 18.2-308.2:2, and the definitions and provisions of § 18.2-308.2:2 regarding criminal history record information checks shall apply to this section mutatis mutandis. The designated dealer shall collect and disseminate the fees prescribed in § 18.2-308.2:2 as required by that section. The dealer may charge and retain an additional fee not to exceed $15 for obtaining a criminal history record information check on behalf of a seller.

B. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection A and unless otherwise prohibited by state or federal law, a person may sell a firearm to another person if:

1. The sale of a firearm is to an authorized representative of the Commonwealth or any subdivision thereof as part of an authorized voluntary gun buy-back or give-back program; or

2. The sale occurs at a firearms show, as defined in § 54.1-4200, and the seller has received a determination from the Department of State Police that the purchaser is not prohibited under state or federal law from possessing a firearm in accordance with § 54.1-4201.2.

C. Any person who willfully and intentionally sells a firearm to another person without obtaining verification in accordance with this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

D. Any person who willfully and intentionally purchases a firearm from another person without obtaining verification in accordance with this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

HTH

#1660833 - 07/23/20 12:17 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Boy Scout]
widefat Offline
Marksman

Loc: Rapidan
Re. para A, It is a purposefully ambiguous statement full of weasel words.

"The dealer may charge and retain an additional fee not to exceed $15 for obtaining a criminal history record information check on behalf of a seller."

Ok, so a dealer can charge up to $15 to "obtain a criminal history record check[..]".

Nothing in that statements prevents them from charging whatever they want to perform the service of accommodating a transfer. Sir, that'll be $15 for obtaining the criminal history for the purpose of the background check. Plus another $30 charge for me providing this service.

#1660838 - 07/23/20 12:48 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: widefat]
Lastlaugh Offline
Appalachian American

Loc: Poquoson, VA
City or County: Poquoson
Originally Posted By: widefat

Nothing in that statements prevents them from charging whatever they want to perform the service of accommodating a transfer. Sir, that'll be $15 for obtaining the criminal history for the purpose of the background check. Plus another $30 charge for me providing this service.

I find those thread hilarious, due to how much this was discussed prior to the BS law being passed. Those of us that actually READ the new law knew what was coming. The background check was capped at 15$, NOT ANY OTHER FEE. This has been the same for every state that has enacted the Marxist crap. You will now see FFLs jacking up transfer fees because you must go thru them for all transfers now.

This was argued back and forth for a week or so in the Shout Box.Lots of folks tried to insist this very thing wasnt going to happen.

#1660846 - 07/23/20 01:26 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

I suppose FFLs can find a way to charge whatever they want but I spoke with the Store Manager at the Gander Outdoors in Fredericksburg. It sounds like they will only charge $15 for private transfers (plus $2 to the VSP). This should apply to everyone, not just their Good Sam members.

The process sounds simple:
1. the Seller brings the firearm to the customer service counter and declares it unloaded. They will put the firearm in a box if it does not have one. They will place a red tag on the box and send the Seller to the firearms counter at the back of the store.
2. at the firearms counter, an associate will inspect the firearm to ensure it is unloaded and place a green tag on it. The associate does not perform a condition or function check; it is the Buyer's responsibility to do that in advance.
3. the Buyer will fill out the paperwork as usual (ATF Form 4473 and VSP SF 65).

HTH

#1661341 - 07/25/20 07:14 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

I watched a private sale at Gander today. The buyer was only charged $15 for the transfer and $2 to VSP.

Be patient. The process takes a little bit longer than a normal firearms purchase.

They know they can charge more but they hope you’ll shop. Consider supporting them by buying something while you are there; especially something firearms related as the associates in that area don’t get paid on transfers. In fact, the best way to support them is to join the Good Sam club or extend your membership if you are already a member. Every new membership and extension puts dollars in their pay check.

HTH

#1661450 - 07/26/20 08:00 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

City or County: Ashland
I'm cross posting this. For anyone close enough to Gander Outdoors in Fredericksburg. I did a private sale there and despite them being a little busy the process was very easy! It's a $15 transfer fee for any sale/buy or trade then $2 for the check for whoever is buying. I'd highly recommend going there. They have the system down pretty well.

#1661451 - 07/26/20 08:01 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Boy Scout]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

City or County: Ashland
Posted the same. Didn't read through the threads but it went quicker and smoother than I expected.

#1661550 - 07/26/20 04:47 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

I just heard they might be changing to free private transfers (plus $2 to VSP) for Good Sam members. A membership is only $29.

#1661570 - 07/26/20 06:11 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

Confirmed!
Private Transfers at Gander are free for Good Sam members and $15 for non-members.
I will be doing all of my transfers there.

#1661580 - 07/26/20 06:39 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Outback Offline
Sharp Shooter

City or County: NoVA
Would it require both parties to be member or just the buyer? Thanks.

#1661605 - 07/26/20 09:05 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Outback]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

Only the Buyer has to be a Gander Good Sam member.

#1662181 - 07/29/20 10:11 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Johnathon Offline
Addicted

I also have done a Transfer there now and can confirm the $17 for non-members. I am glad there is at least one store that isnt taking advantage of their customer base.

#1662193 - 07/29/20 11:17 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

Glad to hear! The store manager is watching this closely. He is hoping it will lead to additional sales of ammo, accessories, other firearms, etc.

As I understand it, he has to justify this approach to their corporate office every month.

Let's support them so transfer fee stay $15 (and free for Good Sam members)!

BTW - they have not jacked up their firearms or ammo prices either. They are still getting shipments of both. Be in line on Fri and Sat mornings when they open to get a chance to be one of the first people to grab the new stuff before it sells out. I was there last Sat morning and all of the 9mm ammo sold out in about 5 minutes!

#1662611 - 07/31/20 11:04 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

Now that I've done a couple of private transfers I can provide more insight into how to do a private transfer using Gander. This is not official by any means and any of this can change at any time.

1. The Buyer and Seller meet in the parking lot (or elsewhere). The Buyer should inspect the firearm before going into the store. Remember that Gander does not perform a condition or function check; it is the Buyer's responsibility to do that in advance.

2. Determine when the Buyer is giving the Seller his/her money. This can be done before or after the process, but Gander is not involved in this part and they might prefer that you not exchange money at the firearms counter.

3. Also, you will need to determine if you still want a Bill of Sale. Gander will provide the Seller with a copy of the paperwork accepting the firearm into their system and they will provide the Buyer with a copy of the paperwork that disposes the firearm to them.

4. The firearm is brought into the store to the customer service counter and declared unloaded. The associate will put the firearm in a box if it does not have one. They will place a red tag on the box and send the Buyer and Seller to the firearms counter at the back of the store.

5. At the firearms counter, an associate will inspect the firearm to ensure it is unloaded and place a green tag on it. The firearm will most likely stay in their possession until the transfer has completed.

6. The Buyer provides his/her identification and completes the ATF Form 4473 (on the iPad) and the VA State Police SF 65 (on paper).

7. The associate enters everything into the computer. This process takes 5-10 minutes.

8. The VA State Police conducts their investigation. The timing on this depends on a lot of factors so be patient.

9. Once the investigation has been returned favorable, the Seller will provide his/her identification. Gander will “accept” the firearm into their system. The Seller will get a copy of the paperwork. This process takes 10-15 minutes.

10. Gander then “disposes” the firearm to the Buyer. A store manager will review all paperwork for accuracy and a copy of the disposition form is provided to the Buyer. The Buyer is now the new legal owner of the firearm.

11. As far as the private transfer fee goes, Gander will collect the fee from the Buyer at any time during the process. For the time being, the fee is FREE (+$2 to VSP) for Good Sam members and $15 (+$2 to VSP) for non-members. The Buyer must be a Good Sam member to get the free private transfer.

HTH

#1662624 - 07/31/20 11:55 AM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
Outback Offline
Sharp Shooter

City or County: NoVA
Was wondering if the transfer fee doubles when there are two firearms being transferred from same seller to same buyer.

#1662635 - 07/31/20 01:06 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Outback]
Boy Scout Offline
Marksman

Good question. I asked VSP to weigh in on the paperwork side of it. They said you can put multiple firearms on a single VSP SF 65 for private transfers (just like you can already do on a regular firearms purchase). This means the level of effort for VSP does not increase and it will only be one investigation.

I will ask Gander to weigh in on the procedural side of it but here is my 2 cents:

Even though VSP has confirmed multiple firearms can go on single VSP SF 65, the level of effort for Gander increases as each firearm must be "accepted" and "disposed" in their system. This means Gander's cost of labor goes up exponentially on multiple firearm private transfers.

It is easy to say that one investigation means only one private transfer fee, and I hope Gander sees it that way, but let's remember that Gander has made a business decision to not charge as much as other FFLs. Gander will only keep private transfers free for Good Sam members and $15 for non-members providing they can show that the increased labor costs are offset by a rise in sales of Good Sam memberships sold at the firearms counter, ammo, firearms, and firearms accessories.

Lastly, when I asked VSP about multiple firearm private purchases I also asked how many of those firearms can be handguns providing the Buyer has a VA CHP or other exemption from the "one-handgun-a-month" law. They said, "There is no limit as long as they have one of the exemptions."

HTH

#1667249 - 08/19/20 08:23 PM Re: Transfer Fees for private sales [Re: Johnathon]
prawls Offline
Addicted

Loc: Mechanicsville, VA
City or County: Hanover
VSP has an excel spreadsheet on their site with all the FFL’s that are doing the capped $$ transfers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >