Who's Online
13 registered (Kegron, vanavyman, smcchesney, mtn99, Safegun, dcarms, 7 invisible), 6 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1665821 - 08/14/20 02:22 AM Harvesting Timber
major_dad Offline
Marksman

Loc: 20155
City or County: gainesville
I have 25ac of very mature loblolly in Spotsy.
Anyone harvest their trees recently?
Pointers?
Avg value/ac?

Thanks.

#1665890 - 08/14/20 11:54 AM Re: Harvesting Timber [Re: major_dad]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
Best advice is to use a broker which will save you a headache and a lot of problems. They will cruz it, mark property lines and put it up for bid. I can recommend someone to use, if interested PM me and I'll give you the contact info. The broker will look out for your best interest for example The people cutting my timber buried the skidder on the edge of my yard. Broker told them to stop cutting for at least a week to allow the ground to dry out. He also made them bring in a dozer to fix ruts they left.

#1666001 - 08/14/20 07:02 PM Re: Harvesting Timber [Re: major_dad]
olerebjr Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Ole Virginia Henry Co.
City or County: henry county, martinsville
PM sent

#1666027 - 08/14/20 09:02 PM Re: Harvesting Timber [Re: olerebjr]
ruckersvillan Offline
Angry Southern Deplorable White Christian Male

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Ruckersville/Greene County
Bottom has fallen out of the pine market. I have around the same acres to cut as you. Crew was cutting jan/Feb of this year on around 80 acres and this was beside it, and they would not cut it. Mills had cut there quota so much. I've sold a fair amount of timber over the years, and I agree on the use of a consultant. Its very easy to get screwed when dealing with timber. I will say though if you ever have any dealings with Westrock, they suck. They left a mess and when Corona hit, they just washed there hands of it. I used broadleaf forest management to handle the sale, and was pleased with them. I am disappointed in them on how my property was left. I guess covid gives them a free pass.... I guess I'm going to have my attorney to deal with westrock.

I'll cling to my guns and religion and you can take both from my cold dead hands

We Need To Play Cowboys And Liberals