Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1675432 - 09/18/20 02:50 PM Mountain driveways and snow
Execprotect Offline
Dialed In

Loc: Rappahannock County
City or County: Rappahannock County
Hoping to close on a home a little further West than I am now. It has an extremely steep driveway (20-25 grade) I need some vehicle suggestions from folks who have true, daily experience dealing with steep driveways in the winter.

What type of vehicle set up do you recommend?

Tire recommendations?

#1675494 - 09/18/20 07:22 PM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Execprotect]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
VEHICLE
T4R (Rock crawler 4WD is amazing!)
https://www.toyota.com/4runner/

TIRES
Blizzaks
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire-brand/blizzak

Edited by bustedknee (09/18/20 07:23 PM)

#1675520 - 09/18/20 08:49 PM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Execprotect]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
The tires are more important than the vehicle, just make sure you have a locking rear end if you get a four-wheel-drive

#1675595 - 09/19/20 08:03 AM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Execprotect]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Staunton
I am going to strongly recommend a Subaru. I owned a legacy for 17 years and pounded it through poor conditions in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Here in VA I was hydroplaning on highway 64 and I could feel all four tires kick in and quickly and safely bring me back to the road. I will never forget it. I now have been driving my subaru outback for 3 years and it has performed admirably. A subaru has all wheel drive. It will be 90% front wheel until it detects a problem. However, even though my outback is automatic (oh how i miss my old manual transmission), I can shift it into a very low gear for hills and such.

In summary, 20 years with a subaru and I will never buy another make to keep myself and my family safe. Did I mention that I really like and trust a subaru.

Aside, I got low trim and it did not come with a CD player. Yes, I like to play CDs. Feel free to PM me about these cars any time. -Dave (not employed by subaru).

#1675607 - 09/19/20 08:42 AM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Execprotect]
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

Loc: VA
City or County: Lynchburg
Yallr gonna laugh at me but here goes.....2010 Rav4 4wd. My uncle has one, he lives in Michigan. He's owned it since it was new and has never had a problem with it. It's just a regular I4, nothing special

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes

#1675649 - 09/19/20 11:50 AM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Execprotect]
Execprotect Offline
Dialed In

I appreciate the input! My wife currently has a Legacy and I was debating adding a Four Runner or possibly a Land Cruiser if true low range 4WD was needed. I had a Four Runner at one time and it performed well in snow. I like the idea of high and low range which her Subarus doesn't have since its AWD vs 4WD.
Do folks usually run winter tires on their Subarus or just stick with all seasons?

#1675862 - 09/20/20 07:31 AM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Execprotect]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

I just keep the same tires on my subaru. Oh how I miss my legacy. You're making me tear up, my friend. All of the vehicles you mentioned will do the job I would think...but what would I know, I have never owned anything but a subaru!

#1675977 - 09/20/20 03:43 PM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Execprotect]
FordBoy Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Clarke
City or County: Clarke
Good tires (dedicated winter tire is great- I run Goodyear Duratracs) and something with a good 4wd. Open differentials in anything will suck. Limited slips and lockers are nice. Lockers can get you in a pickle but I like having that option for certain scenarios. They can usually help you out of that pickle LOL

#1675985 - 09/20/20 04:15 PM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Execprotect]
Ricardo45 Offline
Older Neewbie

The previous replies have covered several options of tire's and vehicle choices for you . But you will also need to consider your method or choice of snow removal for your new property , and the steep grade you spoke of ? Will you be equipped to "do it yourself " , or will you be using a contractor for this ? Which ever choice you make , do it in advance , not a couple of days before they forecast a 2 or 3 footer possibly coming our way ? Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck with your new property.

#1676361 - 09/21/20 08:10 PM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Ricardo45]
Execprotect Offline
Dialed In

Originally Posted By: Ricardo45
The previous replies have covered several options of tire's and vehicle choices for you . But you will also need to consider your method or choice of snow removal for your new property , and the steep grade you spoke of ? Will you be equipped to "do it yourself " , or will you be using a contractor for this ? Which ever choice you make , do it in advance , not a couple of days before they forecast a 2 or 3 footer possibly coming our way ? Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck with your new property.

Thanks for the advice Ricardo!

#1676520 - 09/22/20 01:16 PM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: Execprotect]
P3Bill Offline
VETERAN PEASHOOTER

Loc: Wilderness
City or County: Orange County
Have you thought about ground clearance? As an example, my Explorer has about 12" at the doors but only about 8" in front because of the air damn. (those numbers are estimates just to point how much snow one could get through.) A monster truck might be the answer. grin

#1677862 - 09/26/20 08:00 PM Re: Mountain driveways and snow [Re: P3Bill]
ktyhawk Offline
General Nuisance

Loc: New Kent
City or County: New Kent County
Before you worry about a vehicle, I would look seriously at buying a 4WD tractor. I lived in western Fauquier until I graduated high school. Our driveway was steep, however I could make it up in my VW Rabbit as long as we had plowed the snow. That took a good tractor.