Who's Online
10 registered (Kevinlee93, cadi86, RedBeardOutlaw, Trevor97, kg23, mountainman54, Hanovergray, 3 invisible), 7 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1649667 - 06/16/20 02:32 PM HK45 RFID micro chip
Loudoungunner45 Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Loudoun
Just found a RFID microchip behind the back strap of my HK45. It was purchased from an Government Agent. (and member here) Do I leave it or Pull it? Seems spooky to me. It add some provenance and a curiosity factor but does it have any collector value?

#1649704 - 06/16/20 03:45 PM Re: HK45 RFID micro chip [Re: Loudoungunner45]
JBaccheus Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Fairfax
Well the purpose of a RFID chip placed like this is to contain and maintain data. The HK45 backstrap RFID's are no new news, since 2014 at least, they were/are placed at the request of a purchasing body.

Now the question is what that Data is. For governmental use it could be something as innocuous as holding an issued agent's Name, ID, etc. On the other hand... the paranoid little man that lives inside my head suggests such a device could also be used to register the firearm in such a way as to directly and indirectly track both the device and the firearm, as well as trace transactions/ Diverted Firearms.

To me, doing so would be an excellent way of documenting Illicit involvement in gun running, or as our government is wont to do, trace the supply lines and illustrate a full picture.

------------

That all being said, find the balance between your own personal paranoia, sense of conscience, and social/governmental responsibility and move from there. Sweet Dreams.

- J

"be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

#1649727 - 06/16/20 04:31 PM Re: HK45 RFID micro chip [Re: Loudoungunner45]
Loudoungunner45 Offline
Bolt action

OK I have a very technical data guy that is going to hack it and see what data is on it. I will report back if we can reverse engineer it. I am curious to know. From what i can gather the chip can only be read from a distance of about 50' and it is in a lead lined document/fire safe so no chance it can be tracked unless it is out of the safe.

#1650206 - 06/17/20 05:38 PM Re: HK45 RFID micro chip [Re: Loudoungunner45]
scubacuba Offline
Single barrel

Loc: VA - Virginia
City or County: Virginia Beach
It will most likely have information like serial number, date of purchase, Department, LEO #, maintenance records, etc. Useful for inventorying a large number of pistols without having to remove them from the rack. If you do not wish to keep it or do not feel safe with it (for whatever reason), just grab a knife, lightly dig under the chip and pop it out. End of story. If it was in mine, I would pop it out and hit it with a hammer............

#1650257 - 06/17/20 07:35 PM Re: HK45 RFID micro chip [Re: scubacuba]
Loudoungunner45 Offline
Bolt action

I might try to heat it and get it out whole.. Drop it in my ex wife's purse. LOL

#1677597 - 09/26/20 02:15 AM Re: HK45 RFID micro chip [Re: Loudoungunner45]
the cwa Offline
MODERATLY MONITORING MODERATOR

City or County: Prince George,23842
Originally Posted By: Loudoungunner45
OK I have a very technical data guy that is going to hack it and see what data is on it. I will report back if we can reverse engineer it. I am curious to know. From what i can gather the chip can only be read from a distance of about 50' and it is in a lead lined document/fire safe so no chance it can be tracked unless it is out of the safe.

Soooo, whatever happened with reading the chip?

If you were a hotdog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

HEY, we all know that the moon is not made of green cheese. but what if it was made of barbecue spare ribs, would you eat it then?

#1677865 - 09/26/20 08:05 PM Re: HK45 RFID micro chip [Re: Loudoungunner45]
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

Loc: VA
City or County: Lynchburg
Junk thread

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes