Who's Online
3 registered (Musky_Mike, HarrisonBergeron, DanLfortheW), 15 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1679844 - 10/03/20 02:10 PM Refinishing old 22 rifles
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Staunton
Greetings. My new project is to learn how to refinish old 22 rifles (or some old shotguns). There are many videos and many products out there. My current plan is to practice on an ancient pellet gun with wood stock and steel barrel. I sanded it with 320 grit. I plan to wet sand with a higher grit and then hit it with birchwood casey rust remover, some acetone, and then use BC bluing paste. I also have #3 and 0000 steel wool. I am using the BC stuff because I happened to have some. Brownell's oxpho-blue looks like a good option as well.

I think that my current plan will work, but I am looking for advice on refinement. Does anyone have a refined process for getting off the bluing and rust? How do I get into the nooks and crannies (eg. I can take the barrel off this gun and can get the metal front site pretty well...but the rear site is afixed permanntly and can move for elevation. Lots of parts that I cannot disassemble). Any magic solutions/techniques/dos/don'ts? Thanks. -Dave

#1679856 - 10/03/20 02:34 PM Re: Refinishing old 22 rifles [Re: wscrst]
MetroBluing Offline
Always Lurking

Loc: Va
City or County: Loudoun
Any time that I needed to remove bluing, other than using a blast cabinet I use vinegar.The stronger it is , the faster it will work. In conjunction with a small wire brush or some steel wool It will remove all of the pesky old bluing. Vinegar in an ultrasonic cleaner works amazing.

#1679902 - 10/03/20 03:35 PM Re: Refinishing old 22 rifles [Re: wscrst]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Staunton
Thank you very much. I love elegant solutions to problems.

#1679930 - 10/03/20 05:18 PM Re: Refinishing old 22 rifles [Re: wscrst]
fishtanker Offline
Addicted

Loc: Tidewater
City or County: Hampton
A buffing wheel with a fine compound works well also.

#1688056 - 10/29/20 05:31 PM Re: Refinishing old 22 rifles [Re: wscrst]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
Originally Posted By: wscrst
.... Any magic solutions/techniques/dos/don'ts? Thanks. -Dave

Youtube.

Beware of the self-proclaimed experts that aren't real experts.