Who's Online
13 registered (Sarlouis107, 2headwolf, harpua, smokem, red3, Waterspreader20, GrantG, jblack87, sixshot, 4 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1692350 - 11/12/20 04:56 PM More troubles ahead for the US?
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: VA
City or County: Stafford
Very interesting article. Though I am not a fan of The Atlantic, this article discuss the interview with historian Peter Turchin. Mr. Turchin correctly predicted the problems the US is facing in 2020 back in 2010. Mr. Turchin feels worse is to come.

Can History Predict the Future?

#1692783 - 11/14/20 07:34 AM Re: More troubles ahead for the US? [Re: jr45]
Paratus Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Appomattox
Interesting article. I do agree, to some extent with Turchins thesis regarding the "over production" of the elite class and the culling of the herd, so to speak, as a remedy. However, his solution to the problem is conspicuously absent. This is not say that I favor eliminating the "elite class" but with the emphasis of the "proper" college education as well as the student, via easily obtained government loans. indemnifying institutions of higher learning against loss we have created an us vs them structure. A Harvard degree is perceived to confer greater knowledge, authority and capability than a "lesser" school. In reality we get, at the top, examples of "The Peter Principle" which states that within an organization people have a tendency to rise to their level of incompetence. They are, therefore, not promoted, or elected, further. The ramifications are obvious.

Should be an interesting couple of years. Frankly, I think that a farmer is better qualified to run any aspect of government than someone who is educated to the level of stupidity. We have too few of the former and too many of the latter.

Just some musings.

#1692838 - 11/14/20 11:01 AM Re: More troubles ahead for the US? [Re: jr45]
olerebjr Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Ole Virginia Henry Co.
City or County: henry county, martinsville
Common sense is needed as much as book learning. Unfortunately, as my dad use to say, "there are a lot of educated idiots that lack common sense".

#1692845 - 11/14/20 11:05 AM Re: More troubles ahead for the US? [Re: jr45]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
All of this is what happens when the government gets involved and attempts to influence things. Scholarships, cheap loans, grants, funding of higher education, etc. If it is not a free market system it will eventually become so lopsided that it collapses.