Who's Online
20 registered (Hound_va, 86irocz, Stikycrazy000, Tan41, Banegun, jocko, horace375, Mw7113, harley, GreenArrow08, JayDimes, R_George, FCrotty, blue1, jwheelgun, Siggeek, 4 invisible), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1696267 - 11/24/20 07:04 PM Ridiculous Background Check Fees
Boneyard1977 Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Stafford
City or County: Stafford
So I bought a shotgun last week and agreed to meet the seller at a local gun store to do the required background check per the dictator in Richmond. Do the paperwork, check is quick and easy, and since I agreed to pay for the check I get the bill. Lo and behold, comes out to 50 bloody bucks. Are you kidding? If i were buying a $200-$300 gun the fee would be a substantial chunk. And by the way, this wasn’t some AR-15 or AK, this was an over and under shotgun for clays. Ridiculous that the price was that high. Live n learn.

#1696297 - 11/24/20 08:04 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
w.parker Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Culpeper
City or County: culpeper
REASONABLE establishments are in the area of $20-30 . We are supposed to be like minded individuals enjoying our shared appreciation of firearms but as you are aware humans are greedy and generally bad . Sorry that you had to over pay for your transfer and I'm even more sorry that it is now required . We are officially oppressed ....

#1696303 - 11/24/20 08:32 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Loc: Fredericksburg
City or County: Fredericksburg
gander outdoor on route 3 in spotsylvania charges $15 plus $2 vsp robbery surcharge. if you are good sam member, iyiu just have to pay the robbery charge.

tell them jimmm sends you.

#1696371 - 11/25/20 07:40 AM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
Dtway Offline
Seeker of Truth

Loc: Chesterfield, VA
City or County: Chesterfield

#1696375 - 11/25/20 07:58 AM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
TJ7 Offline
How much are the primers?

Loc: Va
City or County: Chesterfield
Sonny's great FFL.Highly recommend

#1701278 - 12/08/20 01:18 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Ashland
Anything more than $15 is not reasonable which seems to be the least. I get it, they have to take time to do the "typing" and make a buck but if they are going to gouge you, they shouldn't even do them. The more FFLs get behind not doing them, this stupid stuff might go away.

I went to a place in Ashland one time (I won't bash them here (or maybe I should). They charged me $15 for a trade deal.

I went there two weeks later to do a private sale thinking, "They have decent fees". The crooks upped their fee to $50!

They've been put on my black list.

#1701281 - 12/08/20 01:34 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: DRDinthe703]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Originally Posted By: DRDinthe703
Anything more than $15 is not reasonable which seems to be the least. I get it, they have to take time to do the "typing" and make a buck but if they are going to gouge you, they shouldn't even do them. The more FFLs get behind not doing them, this stupid stuff might go away.

I went to a place in Ashland one time (I won't bash them here (or maybe I should). They charged me $15 for a trade deal.

I went there two weeks later to do a private sale thinking, "They have decent fees". The crooks upped their fee to $50!

They've been put on my black list.

You could decline to pay right there. The only thing you owed anyone is the $2 vsp fee.

#1701691 - 12/09/20 03:10 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Jimmm]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

Nope. Once they take your gun and transfer it into their books, they own it until you pay the transfer fee. What they failed to mention was that they jacked up their transfer fee in a two week span and didn't bother to tell or post it. They just assume once they have your gun, you'll pay.

#1701699 - 12/09/20 03:22 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

State law says $15. They don’t own anything. And ‘they’ lobbied for this

#1701761 - 12/09/20 06:21 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: DRDinthe703]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
Originally Posted By: DRDinthe703
Nope. Once they take your gun and transfer it into their books, they own it until you pay the transfer fee. What they failed to mention was that they jacked up their transfer fee in a two week span and didn't bother to tell or post it. They just assume once they have your gun, you'll pay.

They are not supposed to log it until the background check is complete. That's according to the guidance from VSP. If the buyer fails the check, and the seller is still there, it gets handed back to the seller, who is still the rightful owner.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1701763 - 12/09/20 06:24 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Jimmm]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
Originally Posted By: Jimmm

The same thing happened in California 30 years ago. The FFL association, or whatever it is called supported it, until the state put a limit on the fees. So now they complain about having to do all of the work and only make $15 or something.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1703212 - 12/13/20 05:01 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Jimmm]
widefat Offline
Marksman

Loc: Rapidan
City or County: Orange

dupe

Edited by widefat (12/13/20 05:05 PM)
Edit Reason: dupe

#1703213 - 12/13/20 05:01 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Jimmm]
widefat Offline
Marksman

dupe

Edited by widefat (12/13/20 05:05 PM)
Edit Reason: dupe

#1703214 - 12/13/20 05:04 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Jimmm]
widefat Offline
Marksman

Nope.
State Law says
"The dealer may charge and retain an additional fee not to exceed $15.00 for obtaining a criminal history record information check on behalf of a seller."

The dealer can charge up to $15 to obtain the background check.
Then, they charge whatever they want for providing the service of facilitating the transfer.

That's how they are getting away with charging $30,$50,$75 for ftf transfers. The law is full of weasel words written by weasels.

Edited by widefat (12/13/20 05:06 PM)

#1708319 - 12/27/20 07:23 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
Boneyard1977 Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Stafford
Still steaming over my $53 BC fee. Was reading the Virginian Pilot tonight, which has an article warning Virginians not to forget to do BG checks on private sales. Have to think to myself, if onerous fees continue and even go up further, sho’s going to pay $50-75 for check on a $200 firearm. Have to believe there are a ton of backdated bill of sales going around too.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/v...wcom-story.html

#1708400 - 12/28/20 01:25 AM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Originally Posted By: Boneyard1977
Still steaming over my $53 BC fee. Was reading the Virginian Pilot tonight, which has an article warning Virginians not to forget to do BG checks on private sales. Have to think to myself, if onerous fees continue and even go up further, sho’s going to pay $50-75 for check on a $200 firearm. Have to believe there are a ton of backdated bill of sales going around too.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/v...wcom-story.html

Just personal observation but I think va ubc has close to 100% compliance rate. Those doing it without are either doing it among friends and family, which fall under gifting, or those who never care what the sandbox rules were in the first place. Laws are written for law followers so 100% compliance rate is mot unexpected.

Unfortunately, va has state registration now as many ffls since 1 July will not submit paperwork without DL number on both top and bottom of the page. I’ll be freer when I get to move out of here.

#1709240 - 12/30/20 05:20 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

Just get a membership at Gander Outdoors. Transfers are free for members. Plenty of others around that won't gouge and only charge the $15 fee +$2 state fee.

#1709268 - 12/30/20 06:33 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
Colonfree Offline
Redacted

City or County: Seaford
The clowns at New American Arms charge both the transferor and transferee. That’s some shady stuff right there.

Attachments
IMG_2425.jpg

homeland security: I cant believe with all the people in this country they can get that many dummys in one place at one time.

#1710537 - 01/03/21 11:50 AM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: rromeo]
Noonanda Offline
Pea shooter

Originally Posted By: rromeo

The same thing happened in California 30 years ago. The FFL association, or whatever it is called supported it, until the state put a limit on the fees. So now they complain about having to do all of the work and only make $15 or something.

Yeah if you can find a place that will do it for under $25 out there you are doing good. But since the state says they can only charge X dollars, they have a "Processing Fee"

#1710540 - 01/03/21 11:53 AM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Colonfree]
Noonanda Offline
Pea shooter

Originally Posted By: Colonfree
The clowns at New American Arms charge both the transferor and transferee. That’s some shady stuff right there.

Funny how they only accept "Cash" for it.

This is just going to result in people only selling to friends and saying F the state.

#1711218 - 01/05/21 10:29 AM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

SSG tactical in Stafford wants $40 for the transfer plus $2 for the background...I won’t be revisiting their store anytime soon. It’s a shame, I thought about purchasing one of their rifles I had my eye on while I was there.

#1711529 - 01/06/21 08:51 AM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
About a year ago, I asked Don at New River Sports in Pulaski County to order me 4 receivers from PSA. He didn't want to waste his time so he told me to order and pay for them and have them sent to New River Sports.

When the receivers arrived he put all 4 receivers on one form and completed the BG check.
He then told the cashier to charge me $30 for each receiver.
The cashier pointed out, since all four items were on one form, $120 was excessive.

(Other dealers normally charge their set fee for the first item and a lesser charge for additional items.)

He scowled at her, "$20 each for the other three!"

I paid, thanked him nicely then got the H out of there and have never been back.
If he wants to put himself out of business - It is OK with me.

Edited by bustedknee (01/07/21 12:24 PM)

#1711875 - 01/07/21 10:40 AM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
wildbill Offline
Gun fool

Loc: stafford ,va
City or County: stafford
Originally Posted By: Boneyard1977
So I bought a shotgun last week and agreed to meet the seller at a local gun store to do the required background check per the dictator in Richmond. Do the paperwork, check is quick and easy, and since I agreed to pay for the check I get the bill. Lo and behold, comes out to 50 bloody bucks. Are you kidding? If i were buying a $200-$300 gun the fee would be a substantial chunk. And by the way, this wasn’t some AR-15 or AK, this was an over and under shotgun for clays. Ridiculous that the price was that high. Live n learn.
. GFR llc. Is 10 bucks total for person to person

#1711910 - 01/07/21 12:22 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Boneyard1977]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
All along I suspected a lot of FFL holders suported this law.

It means a lot of money in their pockets.

What they don't realize is they are killing off their customer base.

#1711913 - 01/07/21 12:38 PM Re: Ridiculous Background Check Fees [Re: Noonanda]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Originally Posted By: Noonanda
Originally Posted By: Colonfree

Funny how they only accept "Cash" for it.

This is just going to result in people only selling to friends and saying F the state.

I love that old song called ‘I Will Comply’. Goes something like this:

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live without doing everything via FFL and 4473 on my side
But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong and logging in my 4473
And I grew weaker and worrier
And I learned how to get along
And so you're back
From outer space with your atf friends
I just walked in to find you here with that sadistic look upon your face
I should have changed that stupid lock, I should have made you leave your key
If I'd known for just one second you'd be back to bother me
Go on now, go, walk out the door
Just turn around now
'Cause you're not welcome anymore
Weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with 4473 and ban decrees?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >