Who's Online
16 registered (CombatMagnum, moon23089, Racin Junkie, DanLfortheW, PMOORE, LKABUG, slammedbb6, oscar1, CrispyPickle, cvillereloader, 6 invisible), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1699600 - 12/04/20 12:19 PM BuIld an SBR or install a “breakdown” kit?
DutchAmmo Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia - USA
City or County: Fairfax County
I’m trying to decide between building a 5.56 SBR with a 10.5” barrel, or installing a quick-release barrel mechanism on my 5.56 with a 16” barrel like the Cry Havock from Resistance... (https://americanresistancegear.com/product/cry-havoc-qrb-quick-release-barrel-kit-ar15-only)

I understand I will have to apply for an NFA stamp if I go to the SBR route, but just trying to get some thoughts on which way to go. Yes, the quick-release barrel option is easier (administratively), but the SBR would give me a solid rifle with no mechanical peculiarities (e.g. a joint at the barrel/receiver connection).

Both will accomplish the end goal of having an AR platform that I can transport with minimal profiling; just not sure which route to go. Any thoughts?

Edited by DutchAmmo (12/05/20 07:22 AM)

#1700203 - 12/05/20 10:45 PM Re: BuIld an SBR or install a “breakdown” kit? [Re: DutchAmmo]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
Pistol braces are so good I’ve not bothered with an SBR. There are some very short ones with modified BCGs as well. 10.5-11.5 inch barrels are pretty handy too. You can always use a different platform like the Bren 2 if you want an easy folding mechanism.

#1700337 - 12/06/20 09:52 AM Re: BuIld an SBR or install a “breakdown” kit? [Re: DutchAmmo]
DutchAmmo Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia - USA
City or County: Fairfax County
Thanks; good insight. I think the biggest thing that is pushing me away from the pistol (brace) route is the uncertainty over how the new administration will direct the ATF and other law enforcement agencies to treat those devices in the future. It seems like the issue of “shouldering” the brace is likely to be on of the first changes (i.e. not allowing it); what comes next is a question mark...

#1700422 - 12/06/20 02:39 PM Re: BuIld an SBR or install a “breakdown” kit? [Re: DutchAmmo]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
True, and they could do all kinds of things even more disruptive than that. Retroactive assault weapon bans outline things like threaded barrels and flash suppressors, magazine limitations, etc. I’ve reached a point where I’m not breaking any current laws, but I’m honestly not going to worry too much about what a bunch of idiots are going to do in the future. I’m in Fairfax, if you want to take a look at a couple of braces in person we could probably work out a time and place to meet up if you are interested. I have one of the amaxim models that collapses down very compactly.

#1700731 - 12/07/20 08:59 AM Re: BuIld an SBR or install a “breakdown” kit? [Re: DutchAmmo]
kellenJ BANNED SCAMMER Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: new york, USA
City or County: albany
Originally Posted By: DutchAmmo
Thanks; good insight. I think the biggest thing that is pushing me away from the pistol (brace) route is the uncertainty over how the new administration will direct the ATF and other law enforcement agencies to treat those devices in the future. It seems like the issue of “shouldering” the brace is likely to be on of the first changes (i.e. not allowing it); what comes next is a question mark...
just do what ya gotta do man. you don't have to worry about there motherf*cker law