Who's Online
4 registered (MTRNOVA, 3 invisible), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1714162 - 01/13/21 12:50 PM Lee Automatic Case Priming (ACP) Press A Warning
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

Loc: Dale City Va.
City or County: Dale City

Edited by mequirky (01/22/21 09:14 PM)

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1714164 - 01/13/21 12:54 PM Re: Lee Automatic Cade Priming (ACP) Press A Warning [Re: mequirky]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

This is what I sent Lee (along with video and pictures of damage):

The auto priming press is very dangerous. See attachments. Loaded the first hundred great. Had my daughter vide a segment so I could post how well it was working. The video and pictures speak for themselves. I want my money back on this. This thing is going to hurt someone bad. Your system will not let me upload the video.

This was the first response from lee:

Dear Charles,

Sorry to see you had primers detonate on your ACP press, I hope you were not injured.

We will give your money back on this press. Could you please let me know what address to send a return shipping label to?

Please upload your video to our dropbox site here: https://www.dropbox.com/request/NlfsGhd52G3HnSzoDlcB

Just a few questions for you:

What brand of primers were you using?
Was the explosion shield damaged at all?
In the picture, the torsion spring was missing around the trough. Was it present on the trough before explosion?

My Response:

• What brand of primers were you using?

Federal No. 150 Large Pistol Primers

• Was the explosion shield damaged at all?

Burned by primer flashes

• In the picture, the torsion spring was missing around the trough. Was it present on the trough before explosion?

Yes it was in place. I had checked in accordance with the instructions. I eventually found it and is in one of the pictures of pieces. The trough was blown completely apert by the primers in it.

All I can find is what is in the pictures. I have uploaded the pictures and video. The machine worked great for the first 143 priming's. I was on the last of the 200 brass I was reloading when I asked my daughter to record a set so I could post how well it was working. There were approximately 30 primers in the tray when it went off. No live primers were found in the debris, it cooked off all of them. Let me know if you have any questions

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1714166 - 01/13/21 12:56 PM Re: Lee Automatic Cade Priming (ACP) Press A Warning [Re: mequirky]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

John Lee's response:

Dear Mr. Drow:

Thank you for the video of the chain primer explosion on your new ACP. We carefully viewed the video, and at the 17 to 18 second mark, the priming platform remains momentarily depressed and springs upward displacing the primed case from the platform, and tipping a primer on the primer pin. The next case is seen riding up over the tipped primer, followed by the chain detonation.

After your experience, I understand your concerns about continued use of the tool. Stephanie will arrange with you to send a ups call tag so you may return the tool to us for a refund.

Your tool will be helpful to determine what caused the large priming platform to momentarily stick in the down position and “pop” up, displacing the primed case and the next primer.

In the video, it appears you are a strong guy with big forearms and operated the tool very forcefully. On at least one case, you actually used both hands on the lever, and you throw your body into the operation. The bench top flexes greatly during the operation. I don’t believe the forceful operation caused the detonation, but forceful operation takes all your “feel” away from the operation. A light touch lets you feel crimped primer pockets or missing primers. I primed many cases in the development of the tool, and never required more than two fingers on the lever to operate. Was the tool binding in any way that required so much force to operate?

I thank you again for the video, in my nearly fifty years at Lee, this is the first time we could look at a failure as it happened. When we receive your tool, I think we will be able to determine what caused the platform to hesitate in the down position, and make a change to prevent it from happening again.

We’ll get you a prompt refund and if you are interested, I would be happy to give you our APP press in appreciation of your excellent video. The APP doesn’t prime, but it deprimes, sizes, swages, sizes cast bullets lighting fast.

I also ask your permission to share/use your video to demonstrate how Federal brand primers explode in a chain fashion. We have instructed and warned about Federal primers for over 30 years, your video demonstrates the problem very graphically. We could edit anything out that you have any concerns might identify you or that you don’t want publicly displayed.

Sincerely,

John Lee, President
Tuesday, January 12, 2021

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1714168 - 01/13/21 12:58 PM Re: Lee Automatic Cade Priming (ACP) Press A Warning [Re: mequirky]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

My response to John:

John,
Thank you for your input on the issue with the ACP. I found the warning at the end of the ACP instructions. I have never heard that issue with Federal primers and I have been loading for 50 years. Except for a Lee Loader I used for 30-30 in 1969 I have always used on RCBS press for priming and have never set off a primer in the system. I thank you for the offer of the APP press (which is my new go-to press for swaging primer pockets) and even though I have one already I would love to make this one a present for a new shooter I know. The only issues I had with the ACP was determining primer depth by feel (maybe a adjustable stop?) and the primer tray staying closed while installing (maybe a slide lock to keep it closed?). The first 50 went great, I did them one at a time. I was using new Starline 10mm brass and had some variations in primer depth. The next 50 was setting up the tube brass feed and adjustments there. I did one set and it went so well I asked my daughter to video the next set so I could post the machines ability (just like I did with the APP). Then of course "boom". That was the 143 brass I primed. You have my permission to use the video as needed. Please do not provide my information to any other parties. If the ask to contact me, please provide their information to me and I will contact them.

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1714169 - 01/13/21 01:01 PM Re: Lee Automatic Cade Priming (ACP) Press A Warning [Re: mequirky]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

I do not think I was overly aggressive with the press. The pressure used maintained even seating depth of the primers. I do not think the detonation was a Federal primer issue but the flash across the other 30 some odd primers may have been. I do not recomend the press to ANYONE. please comment.

Edited by mequirky (01/13/21 01:01 PM)

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1714170 - 01/13/21 01:08 PM Re: Lee Automatic Cade Priming (ACP) Press A Warning [Re: mequirky]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

Some pics

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1714184 - 01/13/21 01:48 PM Re: Lee Automatic Cade Priming (ACP) Press A Warning [Re: mequirky]
Bullet41 Offline
Addicted

Loc: Dumfries
City or County: Prince William County
Wow, I am glad that you are okay. Thanks for the info and video, I will definitely keep this in mind as I expand my reloading tools.

Bullet 41, LLC
Email: patrick_moses@bullet41.com

IYAAYAS

#1714199 - 01/13/21 02:43 PM Re: Lee Automatic Cade Priming (ACP) Press A Warning [Re: mequirky]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
I heard years ago about a problem with Lee hand primers and Federal primers. I'll just stick to RCBS for my reloading equipment.