Who's Online
12 registered (gunhunter, Jsorgain, wafflecopter, dzz, mshelton89, mountainman54, htc0, 5 invisible), 2 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1715416 - 01/16/21 06:38 PM Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Loc: Fredericksburg
City or County: Fredericksburg
I had a transaction done today at gander in Fredericksburg. Although the prospective buyer didn’t update me on his interest until I already removed the listing, we proceed to resume negotiation and agreed on a price and meeting time and location. I picked gander due to its free transfer fee for Good Sam members and I indicate to buyer that I will cover that. This is due to sketchy gander not letting seller pay for the transfer fee something if they know you are Good Sam member.

Upon meeting buyer, I discovered he is young former Marine so lowered my price from what we agreed. For many that had dealings with me know that I don’t conduct transactions here for living as I have a very good job. In addition, I had reduced prices on the spot for many people upon discovery that we have similar backgrounds, whether it is military service, security certification, collegiate association, or simply like minded. Some of you have became my new friends and even came to shoot at my gun hunt as guests with my network of friends.

Everything went well and we took care the money portion of the deal and I was ready to leave first as buyer got delayed unnecessarily. Right as I was leaving, I actually had to remind the buyer of our agreement that I’d pay for the transfer fee regardless of what it is. I could have left and leave a Marine hanging but that is not me. Again, I am not screwing people over for a few coins and definitely not some young enlistee.

Everything was cool until shady gander jacked up the transfer fee to $30 on top of the $2 vsp background check fee. I was like ‘It should be $17 and my Good Sam membership should bring it to $2’ but they refused to honor it. I pull a Kevin and asked to speak to the manager who turned out to be the same cashier not knowing the store rules. She indicated that vsp charges $2, the commonwealth charges $15, and the store charges $15 for the total of $32 for non-members. The store would remove $15 for Good Sam members. She even stated that it has always been the rules and on their site and in their brochures which she couldn’t produce to me. I pulled up vsp site, the gander site, and my credit statement that has the last 6 private transactions for $2 each time. They were private transactions because the charges were exactly $2 and not $2 plus the cost of the items.

gander mountain was a piece of crap and did a stunt of declaring bankruptcy to cheat investors, employees, creditors, and those customers who bought lifetime warranties for big ticket items including guns, scopes, boats, etc. It simply changed name and is now back to its own tricks.

In my big Kevin’s voice I AM BOYCOTTING GANDER OUTDOOR. This place not only looks shady like a flee market but is now showing its colors once again. They jack up prices on items and hold back ammo inventory to sell to friends and employees, who flip on here and gunbroker. This place is the same as the not right association (nra) that has just declared bankruptcy to cheat creditors and people who donated firearms and properties, including lands, to the company.

#1715547 - 01/17/21 06:59 AM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
TY for the update. I was never a big fan and only stopped by when I needed to kill time, now I won't even do that.

Semper Fi,
Mark S

#1715586 - 01/17/21 09:19 AM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: VA
City or County: Stafford
Call Gander and during the initial recording, it will recite a 800# to call for concerns. I would call that number and ask them what are the prices. I know as a buyer, the cost was zero for good Sam members...

#1715834 - 01/17/21 08:24 PM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
ak66 Offline
Sharp Shooter

City or County: Fairfax
I’m a non-member and completed a deal at Gander last week @$17.00.
- Colt stripped M4 upper receiver
- Comtac III or higher
- Leupold MK4 spotting scope

#1715882 - 01/17/21 10:51 PM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: ak66]
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

City or County: Lynchburg
Originally Posted By: ak66
I’m a non-member and completed a deal at Gander last week @$17.00.

This. I was standing right there when it happened. Cuz it was my gun.

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes

#1715906 - 01/18/21 01:34 AM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

I will call the store to get the regional manager number to ask what is the price structure because I spoke to a few FFLs in the area and they indicated that the commonwealth doesn't charge $15. Some of these FFLs do not do the private transfer service as it is not profitable nor do they think it is constitutionally to impose such restriction on right to free commerce and right to keep (acquire) arms.

And I have purchased firearms from gander itself so it is not like I only use them for the service.

#1716973 - 01/20/21 04:16 PM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Ashland
I was just there last week also on Friday. Free for me. I didn't even pay the $2 fee. Just showed my Good Sams member card and they said "have a nice day". I called them yesterday because one employee told me they were going to start only doing transfers on certain days. They are still doing them and told me it was free if you're a member.

Done. Someone got screwed. Glad it wasn't me.

#1717123 - 01/20/21 09:56 PM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

Loc: VA, USA
City or County: Fairfax
Strange. I've done a couple deals there last year. Once it was "free" which I wasn't ready for, but was ok with. Another time it was $2 and I was like....hmmmm....ok.

Then the last time the guy was polite and said that if I signed up for the membership (which I did end up doing) that the membership would pay for the transfer cost and any other time it would be free the next year. I went for it even though realistically I'm kinda GTG and don't think I'll be picking up more firearms soon, let alone picking any up in that area AND having someone willing to meet me RIGHT THERE.

But I said eff it and signed up. Figure if I do another deal before the membership expires its free.

Sorry about the bad situation. Principles mean a lot and you were right to stand up. On the flipside, they are a "big company" and it doesn't surprise me that happened.

Will post up in here if I do another deal.

Edited by Ali (01/20/21 09:57 PM)

"To conquer a nation you must first disarms the citizens" --Adolf Hitler 1933

"Write it down and remember that we never gave in." - Immortal Technique

"Fight fire with water." Me

#1724327 - 02/05/21 08:36 PM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Called gander and got them on tape admitting it is $2 for good sam members before heading out today. But they changed the price right there saying it is $2 if I order via FFL and not private sale. It is the same paperwork. I made a scene in front of their fudd customers to took my business to another shop.

This place will go out of business soon. $32 transfer fee is way too much.

Go to GFR for $10 transfer and a real gun store feeling.

#1724828 - 02/06/21 09:28 PM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Ashland
Just did one there two days ago...didn't pay a thing as a member. You're getting shafted. Have proof of transfers. Something's not right here

#1725011 - 02/07/21 10:04 AM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
JORJENBOY Offline
Georgia at Heart

Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia
The Good Sam only gives you free transfer "in", IE you are buying... It does "not" apply to transfer outs... and the Fee is $17 total... I have completed about 20 transactions there over the past month... Just did a 2 for one trade (three guns worth of paperwork". I know just about everyone in there now... Actually have them holding a gun for me that I am buying this week that had never made it to the floor... Nothing but big respect for that store!

Scott

#1725018 - 02/07/21 10:27 AM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
Sfach Offline
Positive, approachable and accomodating, Thats Me!

Loc: Stafford, VA
City or County: N Stafford
GFR for the Wjn. A real LGS with great staff.

#1725553 - 02/08/21 11:08 AM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
JORJENBOY Offline
Georgia at Heart

I live 5 mins up the road from GFR and until last week did not know they existed... I have since been there a few times... =)

Scott

#1725555 - 02/08/21 11:10 AM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: DRDinthe703]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Originally Posted By: DRDinthe703
Just did one there two days ago...didn't pay a thing as a member. You're getting shafted. Have proof of transfers. Something's not right here

that is why I am posting it here for others to see. Different cashiers/dept managers charge different rates. I had 4 transactions that I paid $2 vsp fee only and 1 $17 before I was good sam member and the last transfer several weeks ago when they jacked the fee to $32 for non-members and $17 for members. I called and got them on tape saying $17 for non-members and $2 for members only to show up to have them changed the rule while background check was in progress. I walked out of the last transfer when the price was rung up as $2 but they didn’t let me pay until the background was clear but then the person doing the paperwork had to leave so someone else took over and bumped the fee to $17. Seller and I went to anotner shop and finished it up there for $10 transfer fee so that tells me their $15 mandatory commonwealth fee is bogus.

This is the same gander of old p, they just changed name to stiff customers warranty, creditors, and investors via their bankruptcy filing. They will be out of business soon when people stop panic buying overpriced ammo.

#1725560 - 02/08/21 11:15 AM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Sfach]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Originally Posted By: Sfach
GFR for the Wjn. A real LGS with great staff.

GFR is a real gun shop, reminding me of those gun stores on real military bases. My businesses and those of my friends go there now. We just bought ton s of stuffs there. And I am going to broadcast this gander’s foul business practices to everyone I know. If it wasn’t for fudds and newbies, they would be out of business again last year since nobody with brain went there. I gave then second chance and they pulled this stunt.

#1727132 - 02/11/21 03:07 PM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
JORJENBOY Offline
Georgia at Heart

Originally Posted By: Jimmm
Originally Posted By: DRDinthe703

that is why I am posting it here for others to see. Different cashiers/dept managers charge different rates. I had 4 transactions that I paid $2 vsp fee only and 1 $17 before I was good sam member and the last transfer several weeks ago when they jacked the fee to $32 for non-members and $17 for members. I called and got them on tape saying $17 for non-members and $2 for members only to show up to have them changed the rule while background check was in progress. I walked out of the last transfer when the price was rung up as $2 but they didn’t let me pay until the background was clear but then the person doing the paperwork had to leave so someone else took over and bumped the fee to $17. Seller and I went to anotner shop and finished it up there for $10 transfer fee so that tells me their $15 mandatory commonwealth fee is bogus.

This is the same gander of old p, they just changed name to stiff customers warranty, creditors, and investors via their bankruptcy filing. They will be out of business soon when people stop panic buying overpriced ammo.

Please remember if you are doing a personal transfer and not member it is $17 to include BkGd fee... If you are having something delivered there and not a member it is $32 to include BkGd fee... Just used them today to do personal transfer and to pick up a lower... Since I am a member the lower was free... The transfer out was on the buyer and because he bought a membership his transfer was free... No BkGd charge or transfer charge... Did you ask for a Mgr? I would have... they are all really nice...

Scott

Edited by JORJENBOY (02/11/21 03:09 PM)

#1727142 - 02/11/21 03:41 PM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

They told me the complete opposite after 3 or 4 free transfers (minus the $2 vsp).

And I completely believe you but it is gander changing policies on the whims and each cashier has different understanding of the cost. It makes more sense to charge $32 for non-members and $17 for members for FFL transfers such as me buying from online vendors since they have to accept delivery and coordinate with me for pickup. But they said it is free for members to have FFL transfers and $15 plus $2 vsp for private transfers for members because the state collects $15 for processing.

You can try to call them and ask to speak to manager (female) and most likely they will tell you that even after one of the guys will tell you the other way.

#1727144 - 02/11/21 03:42 PM Re: Gander Mountain - rip-off transfer fee [Re: Jimmm]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Flip flop the rule to suit thrm