Who's Online
7 registered (Ollie2u, toojon, Dlsims, Waterspreader20, harley, Speedyarms, 1 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1747659 - 03/28/21 09:35 AM Revolver price going through the roof!
mountzion Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Lee County
I've been considering finally getting a S&W Model 629 lately, but the cost seems to have gone through the roof. They're selling for upwards of $1000 now which is just crazy considering I was seeing them for $700 last year, less if you bought used. I know that a lot of folks panicked and bought guns since last year, but I would have never expected the average Joe would buy a .44 Magnum Revolver of all things.

It's not just the 629 either, the 29 and 329 are all crazy expensive or otherwise completely unavailable right now.

I would have guessed that a lot of panic-buyers bought 9mms and police trade-in .40s, but it looks like many of them must have seen Dirty Harry and decided that if they were going to buy a handgun then they were getting "The most powerful handgun in the world!" at least to the best of their knowledge.

#1747735 - 03/28/21 11:41 AM Re: Revolver price going through the roof! [Re: mountzion]
SPJCFO Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: VA
City or County: Alexandria
Different 629's sell for different prices. A pre lock sells for more. Depending on barrel length the price also changes.. You can still find models cheaper but I think the 629 is a $1000 gun all day if you want to find a 44 Mag at 700 to 800 ruger has the redhawk.

#1748867 - 03/31/21 06:11 AM Re: Revolver price going through the roof! [Re: mountzion]
mountzion Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Lee County
Ruger Redhawk is not a choice for me, $1000 for 629 is somewhat fair. I will have to visit some gun shops and pawnshops to see if I can get a fair deal before I try other means possible to get the best deal and right revolver.

#1753288 - 04/12/21 08:38 AM Re: Revolver price going through the roof! [Re: mountzion]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

Loc: VA, USA
City or County: Fairfax
I'm not sure its just revolvers. Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s used to be $250 or so on the site, they have doubled if not more now.

"To conquer a nation you must first disarms the citizens" --Adolf Hitler 1933

"Write it down and remember that we never gave in." - Immortal Technique

"Fight fire with water." Me

#1771977 - 06/07/21 10:38 AM Re: Revolver price going through the roof! [Re: mountzion]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Loc: Fredericksburg
City or County: Fredericksburg
A lot of pawn shops use this sites to market their wares. I ran into one item listed as private sale only to find out the person would charge me sale tax and $45 FFL fee for a $250 item. I am glad I called and verified meeting location, otherwise, it would have been a waste trip to show up at pawn shop to buy a gun. I would never buy guns at pawn shops with 4473, leaving my info for someone to acquire more items without my knowledge and consent. They have a reputation of being a trove of many ill-gotten loot for a reason.

#1771979 - 06/07/21 10:40 AM Re: Revolver price going through the roof! [Re: mountzion]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Loc: Fredericksburg
City or County: Fredericksburg
Originally Posted By: mountzion
Ruger Redhawk is not a choice for me, $1000 for 629 is somewhat fair. I will have to visit some gun shops and pawnshops to see if I can get a fair deal before I try other means possible to get the best deal and right revolver.

$1000 for $629 is more than fair. Most will have extremely low round count and with S&W high costumer service if that is ever needed.

#1775955 - 06/19/21 07:01 AM Re: Revolver price going through the roof! [Re: Jimmm]
wscrst Offline
Addicted

City or County: Staunton
Originally Posted By: Jimmm
A lot of pawn shops use this sites to market their wares. I ran into one item listed as private sale only to find out the person would charge me sale tax and $45 FFL fee for a $250 item. I am glad I called and verified meeting location, otherwise, it would have been a waste trip to show up at pawn shop to buy a gun. I would never buy guns at pawn shops with 4473, leaving my info for someone to acquire more items without my knowledge and consent. They have a reputation of being a trove of many ill-gotten loot for a reason.

Thanks for the tip. Good info.