Who's Online
10 registered (Broadside, Tan41, dillon, NomadTaco, RIFLEMANS_OUTFITTER, 5 invisible), 13 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1746824 - 03/26/21 07:18 AM Chicken based dog food
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Long story short, I have been buying from Walmart for decades. It's common knowledge that most Walmart branded products are actually made by the same manufacturers as name brand products.

Anyway, I buy a ton of stuff from Walmart.Com and have it delivered to the house free over $35. Buy tons of groceries this way etc.

I have been ordering 50 lb bags of dog food for quite some time now. $20 and I don't have to carry the dang bag through the store.

With all the shortages going on nationwide Walmart now only has the chicken based dog food Old Roy left available.

I used to feed my dogs chicken based food but it began to affect the eyesight of my Australian Shepherd. We had no idea what was making him go blind... he was very young. The wife did some research and find out that many dogs have adverse injury from chicken. We switch to beef and his eyesight cleared up within 10 days.

This may or may not affect your dog. I'm only sharing because it was something valuable I learned about taking care of mine.

As for judgmental opinions regarding Walmart, I completely understand.

I absolutely hate Walmart, I just hate Amazon that much more and since Walmart is going toe-to-toe with Amazon in the consumer world I figure I will put my effort behind the enemy of my enemy versus a small grocery chains that has no chance of affecting Amazon. Make no mistake, Amazon is trying to take over the world.

Edited by Cash is King (03/26/21 07:25 AM)
Edit Reason: Damn phone typos

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1747566 - 03/28/21 05:00 AM Re: Chicken based dog food [Re: Cash is King]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Ashland
Cash, all that stuff has chicken by-product. Ol'Roy, IAMS, Purina, etc. You'd think it isn't that bad but it really is.

I used to buy IAMS and others mentioned but by-product is really bad for dogs. As you know it's all the other parts from the chicken, or in beef by-product it's the cow, etc. I have invested a lot of money in my Golden Retrievers. A little more money for non by-product food is well worth it I've learned. I see a difference in their behavior and activity. My previous dog was a lab mix and I didn't do much thinking about what I was feeding him until I got these two and started really noticing and studying what's in the national brands that are easily found in stores like Walmart.

Rachel Ray's is a good option that doesn't cost a fortune like Blue Diamond and others. Some of the stuff gets pricey. $80+ for dog food...no thanks facepalm

I'm currently trying out Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat formula after reading some reviews and these two eat it up and for the money (on Chewey), it's a good price for a 30lb bag. I also did some research (Off topic), that it's actually good to switch up your dogs food in stead of keeping them on the same one for a long time so I do that about every other bag I go through. There are some really good options for non by-product that won't hurt the wallet.

#1748140 - 03/29/21 11:44 AM Re: Chicken based dog food [Re: Cash is King]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

Loc: VA, USA
City or County: Fairfax
When my Aussie was still alive I wanted to give him the best but the best was 10x my own McDonald's budget (way back in the day) for my own diet.

This is a good site that really breaks down where certain dog foods lie, and WHY.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

"To conquer a nation you must first disarms the citizens" --Adolf Hitler 1933

"Write it down and remember that we never gave in." - Immortal Technique

"Fight fire with water." Me

#1748205 - 03/29/21 03:14 PM Re: Chicken based dog food [Re: Ali]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

Now that I have two dogs worth more than all my guns, I started realizing I should feed them better stuff. My local pet shop owner used to nag at me because I would go to the feed store and get Pride...she'd tell me I'm feeding them lips and **I VOTED FOR BIDEN** from the chickens and cows laugh So I figured, I better pony up and spend a little more. It's pricey for sure!

#1748217 - 03/29/21 03:38 PM Re: Chicken based dog food [Re: Cash is King]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
Stopped feeding my dogs/cats (store) bought petfood years ago...after loosing two dogs to cancer.

Whatever meat I have available (whatever Killed/Fished or gifted) brown rice/peas/pumpkin/lentils/flaxseed/hempseed/apple cider vinegar.

Make a giant pot and freeze and defrost as needed...

I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1748223 - 03/29/21 03:48 PM Re: Chicken based dog food [Re: Agent19]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

I have a friend who does that. Makes pot roast, steak, all kinds of stuff and freezes it. In the long run, it's more cost effective and healthy. Thought about doing it but I get lazy cooking. laugh

#1748452 - 03/30/21 07:30 AM Re: Chicken based dog food [Re: Agent19]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Originally Posted By: Agent19
Stopped feeding my dogs/cats (store) bought petfood years ago...after loosing two dogs to cancer.

Whatever meat I have available (whatever Killed/Fished or gifted) brown rice/peas/pumpkin/lentils/flaxseed/hempseed/apple cider vinegar.

Make a giant pot and freeze and defrost as needed...

Ditto on the cancer.

IMHO same is happening with human nutrition.

Anyway, yes I boil down all the deer/bear bones and Tupperware a few hundred pounds of "Dog Crack" as the family calls it. The store bought is a mix to the boiled meats.

Eagles and ospreys also drop lots of fish in the yard... the dogs have managed to learn how to eat a fish safely. Cooked fish is dangerously boney, but raw with scales... they learn.

Always grab a couple fresh menhaden whenever I swinging by my commercial fishermen friend's house for some rockfish et al.

The dogs love a menhaden.

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1755570 - 04/18/21 11:25 PM Re: Chicken based dog food [Re: Cash is King]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
I had a beagle about 15 years ago who started scratching until he would bleed. Vet said he was allergic to his food but he'd been eating that same food for years. A few month went by and he still scratched. Vet sold me Eukanuba dry food, catfish and potatoes were the ingredients. Cleared him up right away. A couple years later he had a tumorous growth in his belly and put him down.
My wife had been buying a decent food from Petsmart for years. Earlier this year both started itching a lot. I tried out a food I found on Amazon made from Avacados. Seems to be working. It has chicken meal but some of their others dont have chicken.
https://amzn.to/32rUjBy

#1755659 - 04/19/21 09:23 AM Re: Chicken based dog food [Re: VaGunTrader]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

I might have to try this one. Looks good for skin and coat. This Diamond Naturals Skin and Coat formula I'm using gets eaten up quick. I think I'm going to start making meals and freezing them...long term it might be more cost effective.

#1756178 - 04/20/21 06:34 PM Re: Chicken based dog food [Re: VaGunTrader]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
Originally Posted By: VaGunTrader
I had a beagle about 15 years ago who started scratching until he would bleed. Vet said he was allergic to his food but he'd been eating that same food for years. A few month went by and he still scratched. Vet sold me Eukanuba dry food, catfish and potatoes were the ingredients. Cleared him up right away. A couple years later he had a tumorous growth in his belly and put him down.
My wife had been buying a decent food from Petsmart for years. Earlier this year both started itching a lot. I tried out a food I found on Amazon made from Avacados. Seems to be working. It has chicken meal but some of their others dont have chicken.
https://amzn.to/32rUjBy

Avoderm I feed that to my dogs back in the 80’s...
No issue with it..
I would let it soak up some water as the food would expand and swell in their gut.

Imho, pet food too many preservatives..

Edited by Agent19 (04/20/21 06:35 PM)
Edit Reason: I guessed the brand before clicking the link
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.