Who's Online
10 registered (jmcdonaldva1, longrangeshooter, Hobbez84, Leper_Messiah, RedBeardOutlaw, Speedyarms, MetroBluing, 3 invisible), 10 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1761087 - 05/05/21 01:44 PM Gunbroker is crap
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax
Let me be clear -- I am no newbie to using Gunbroker. I have been on that site for 2 decades and bought and sold dozens of items in that time.

I found a piece I wanted -- the seller had an A+ rating and was "Verified".. Let's review what GB says that means: (See graphics attached)

Quote:
A Verified Member is a member who passed our extended user verification security screening. These users will have the badge, , next to their user name when presented on the site. This distinction lets buyers and sellers know they are dealing with a user who has passed the GunBroker.com verification process. To become a Verified Member, please go to our Extended User Verification page. There is a fee to initiate the verification process.

Well, I bid on the handgun. Won. The seller emailed me about payment, and I confirmed the FFL I wanted it sent to. No problems. I mailed the payment via USPS priority mail and sent a USPS money order.

After they received it, they disappeared.

I called the phone number on the account (REMEMBER THEY ARE VERIFIED) and it is a "voice to text" service. Not a phone number.

I retrieved the VERIFIED MEMBER mailing address (it's their home address, remember?) and it's a PO BOX.

4 weeks ago I filed a "BUYER PROTECTION PLAN" claim with GB. I provided all of the requested info, and uploaded and faxed the required documentation -- proof of payment, proof of delivery, IC3 complaint file, etc.

In the last 4 weeks, they have not replied to me at all. The status on the BPP claim (as of today) is "waiting on buyer" (See screen shot (redacted))

I have emailed GB several times since filing the BPP. Nothing. No response. It has been over a month since I filed the claim and the only email I've gotten from them was the automated response on the same day.

What makes me MOST upset about this situation isn't the scammer -- they did what they do.

It is Gunbroker's response and broken promises:

1. Verified Member. Gunbroker says they verified the seller. That means GB got a copy of their driver license and other information such as a phone bill or second form of identity. Gunbroker SAYS they verify the identity and the HOME ADDRESS of the individual. Apparently, that is a lie. They even charge $2 to perform the verification. Here is what the site policy says about how they verify member information: (https://www.gunbroker.com/c/User/PrivacyPolicy/)

Quote:
a. Registration Information and Identity Verification Information.

The Site’s registration process requires Users to provide us valid and accurate contact Personal Information including name, street address, mobile phone number, birth date and email address (collectively, “Registration Information”). We use this information for fraud prevention at the time of registration.

We may verify your name and address provided at the time of registration through third-party identity verification service providers we use to assist us. This is done as an identity verification and fraud prevention measure. All information described in this Section is referred to as “Identity Verification Information.”

Credit Header Verification. One type of identity verification service is called “credit header” information. You may be required to answer a multiple-choice questionnaire compiled from information managed by consumer and business information sources. These questions can include elements from your financial history. We do not collect or store any Personal Information from the “credit header” process. All we receive is an indication of how many questions you answered successfully.

Pre-Fill Identity Verification Option. Another type of identity verification service we have uses your mobile phone “Subscriber Data”(as defined under Applicable Law) from your mobile carrier (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Verizon, or any other branded wireless carrier) to verify your identity. Your mobile phone Subscriber Data may include, without limitation, name, date of birth, postal address, billing zip code, telephone numbers, electronic mail addresses, last four digits of your Social Security Number, credit card numbers, Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI), location information, handset and mobile device identifiers (International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI) and International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI)) and other status details, if available, account information and credit information.

Identity verification using your mobile phone Subscriber Data includes a Pre-Fill Form Option for us to use to expedite verifying your identity. The Pre-Fill Form includes information verified by our mobile phone identify verification service provider. The Pre-Fill Form Option requires you to answer a question by submitting your mobile phone billing zip code. It also requires you to provide us your express opt-in consent by clicking on the “OK” button on the consent page.

When you use this option, you authorize your wireless operator to disclose your mobile number, name, address, email, network status, customer type, customer role, billing type, mobile device identifiers (IMSI and IMEI) and other subscriber details, if available, to GunBroker.com and service providers for the duration of the business relationship, solely for identity verification and fraud avoidance.

Manual Identity Verification Option: Where you do not agree to the “Pre-Fill Form Option” above or where your identity cannot be verified using that option, GunBroker.com can carry out a manual process to verify your identity before allowing you to become a Seller or Buyer on the Site. This requires you to submit written evidence of your name and address, including such documents as may be requested by GunBroker.com such as a copy of your driver’s license, utility bill or similar documentation as may be requested by GunBroker.com in its discretion.

2. Buyer Protection Policy . It's been a month since I filed and provided all of the documentation and I have not gotten a response. The seller is long gone. Gunbroker's BPP is intended to protect against fraudulent sellers by providing a refund of part of your purchase price if you are cheated. See: https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/224766967

Here is the whole policy https://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/buyers-protection-program/

Quote:
If you paid for an item and did not receive it, or the item was materially different than the description, subject to the Program Limitations below, you may be eligible to submit a Buyer's Protection claim through GunBroker.com. GunBroker.com will cover up to $500.00 on an item and all claims have a $100.00 deductible.

We do not cover:
Shipping cost
Transfer fees
Taxes.

Find the details of the Buyer Protection Program here.

If you wish to make a claim, follow our BPP Claim Process found here.

Review the BPP Limitations and Restrictions here.

You can submit a claim by filling out the BPP Claim Form.

Suffice to say, it has been 30 days, and I have sent everything requested. Zero response.

Attachments
verified member.jpg

Description: Gunbroker Verified Member description

verified member2.jpg

Description: Extended Verification

verified member3.jpg

Description: Buyer Protection Plan claim filed

Edited by izymic (05/05/21 01:55 PM)

#1761096 - 05/05/21 02:05 PM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
lue-jones Offline
Demigod

Loc: Virginia, USA.
City or County: Vinton
Excellent thread and a topic well worth exploring further.

I've used Gunbroker.com a number of times myself, like yourself, I'm no stranger to the auction format. Over the years, I've had mostly positive experiences at the site, but I've also seen the dark side of Gunbroker and unfortunately it lines up perfectly with your own experiences at auction.

I've seen Gunbroker be quite sympathetic to people who are for all intents and purposes scammers. The fact Gunbroker makes a profit off of these unscrupulous sellers meaning they lend a sympathetic ear to manipulative and fraudulent merchants.

Lately, I've noticed an uptick in obviously fraudulent listings at the site and non-paying bidders seem to be an increasingly common problem. I'm convinced there are algorithms bidding up the price on certain keyword items at the website, which is one of many reasons why pricing firearms using Gunbroker is a fool hardy affair. And that's not even getting into the regular shill accounts at the website bidding up the prices on auctions which seem to go unchecked by administration.

Long story short, buyer beware of gunbroker.com.

#1761098 - 05/05/21 02:17 PM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
izymic Offline
Bolt action

I don't think Gunbroker is doing any funny-business with anything bidding up prices. I think the higher prices are more a function of people being nuts and buying up everything lately. I posted a plain-jane Rem 870 with a police barrel on GB 3 months ago and it got bid up to $800. Guy sent me payment via Zelle. Zero issues.

I was shocked at how high the bidding went. A couple of years ago, that same sg would have sold for around 350-400

#1788815 - 07/28/21 03:00 AM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
sigma44 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: virginia
City or County: Arlington
All you need to do is contact the post office. I put someone in federal prison about a decade ago because he thought ripping me off for a couple hundred bucks was a smart idea, except he cashed a usps money order, and committed interstate fraud in the process. So did your guy. Ruin his life. Post office does not play around.

#1788893 - 07/28/21 10:18 AM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: sigma44]
GE_Minigun Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia, USA
City or County: Winchester
Originally Posted By: sigma44
All you need to do is contact the post office. I put someone in federal prison about a decade ago because he thought ripping me off for a couple hundred bucks was a smart idea, except he cashed a usps money order, and committed interstate fraud in the process. So did your guy. Ruin his life. Post office does not play around.

Well glad you had a different outcome than mine. "Attempted" to purchase a gun couple years back, guy wanted USPS MO and I was fine with that…long story short never got the gun, post office has done NOTHING…NOTHING…I even contacted the police in the county the guy lives in thinking maybe they would lend a hand…nope. If I were a betting man, your money is gone, and you will not see a dime from it…move on with your life and chalk it up to lesson learned…good luck

Ronal Reagan (8/11/84)

#1788896 - 07/28/21 10:37 AM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
ARLife Offline
Bolt action

Loc: United States
City or County: Rocky Mount
Damn that sucks!

#1789013 - 07/28/21 06:18 PM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
FastEddy Offline
Lost some weight since this pic ;)

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Dumfries AKA Dumpies
Sorry to hear about this sir. How many ratings did the seller have? Does GB have phony ratings now - like Amazon?

#1789135 - 07/29/21 07:11 AM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
804life Offline
The Dude

Loc: RVA
City or County: RVA
I just dealt with a scammer for the past two days. He used three different email addresses, wanted to be paid via friends and family PayPal, or Zelle. Both of which offer no fraud protection.

Then when I offered to do a USPS money order, he gave me a P.O. Box that was three hours away from his listed address in a completely different city.

When I called him out, he ghosted me and reposted the items.

He has done about 7 sales with only one positive feedback which was left by a new account created the 22nd, the same day as his account.

It all seemed too sketchy.

#1789147 - 07/29/21 07:51 AM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
P3Bill Offline
VETERAN PEASHOOTER

Loc: Wilderness
City or County: Orange County
izymic

You should "out" the seller here and on every social media platform to which you belong/have access (Maybe post a link to the listing.) Also, have you posted negative feedback?

#1789150 - 07/29/21 07:57 AM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
FastEddy Offline
Lost some weight since this pic ;)

City or County: Dumfries AKA Dumpies
Good info 804. I have only bought from well-established sellers, each with at least hundreds of reviews. Like the saying goes, if it looks too good to be true, it is. I have had zero issues in the 6+ years I have used GB. I am certainly no fan of gun broker, but I think they make a reasonable attempt to vet out crooks. Someone with only five ratings, trying to sell say a Python for $900 should raise immediate red flags.

#1789163 - 07/29/21 08:19 AM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: FastEddy]
804life Offline
The Dude

Loc: RVA
City or County: RVA
This guy looks like he was doing lots of little sales vs big item sales. For example, a kimber solo for $400, buy it now. 96fs bi tone for $360 BIN, and a glock 27 with an RMR for $550 BIN.

All his deals seemed too good to be true.

#1789179 - 07/29/21 09:06 AM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
Otislee Offline
Gun fool

City or County: Yorktown
I’ve been buying from Gunbroker for about five years with zero issues. The scammers are usually easy to spot. Recently joined, no feedbacks and unrealistic low prices. All I’ve dealt with contact via text message instead of email. Always want cash and if they do accept MO, the address and name never match their account profile. When dealing with a non FFL private seller with limited feedback, always try to verify name and address match. I’ll do a people search or check local real estate property records to verify identity especially when doing a deal on expensive firearms. Never send payment to a PO Box address, never! I have always wondered if some sellers use shill bidders to drive up the price. Sometimes you think that is the case. Good rule of thumb is to set the price your willing pay and stick to it.

#1799091 - 08/28/21 07:43 PM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: P3Bill]
Goldie2 Offline
Marksman

Loc: Charlottesville
City or County: Charlottesville
Originally Posted By: P3Bill
izymic

You should "out" the seller here and on every social media platform to which you belong/have access (Maybe post a link to the listing.) Also, have you posted negative feedback?

Agreed. I hate thieves.

On a different note, ON high dollar items (for me thats anything over about $200)f they wont or cant take CC's I usually pass. Its just not worth the stress. There'll be another one tomorrow, or next week, or next month. Whenever possible use (the newly woke) American Express. They take care of their customers.

Did I say I hate thieves. And Commies. And Antifa. and religious zealots of all flavors.

#2040819 - 08/24/23 05:20 PM Re: Gunbroker is crap [Re: izymic]
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Long overdue update:

Basically after 11 months of being ignored by Gunbroker, I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint, uploaded everything.

Within a week, I got a response saying they were sending me a check per the buyer protection.

It took almost a year.