Who's Online
14 registered (weez3006, Spare, carpetmuncher, kjack, Teaglet, Bschleig, Jackillac, wrickster, jocko, 5 invisible), 10 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1738376 - 03/06/21 11:32 AM $10 SF Metal buildings
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
I have spent the better part of the last year in other forums.

We have also been doing a lot of building and development.

Anyway, I started a post about a couple of 30 by 50 foot metal buildings I'm planning to put up in the next month or two.

If you have interest in such things feel free to open the link and read along.

If you have no interest in such things feel free to not open the link and not read along.

This is an open topic... anyone is allowed to post a comment or opinion or a question.

In a nutshell, the basic buildings were running around $10 a square foot when I started... by the time I prep the pads and place the concrete and electrical panels I expect I will be closer to $15 a square foot.

Some consider this expensive... some do not.

I am only sharing the process because it is in my nature to be helpful to like-minded people.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15866033/1

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1742166 - 03/15/21 07:23 AM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
Thanks Leonard,

I bought a 24x40x12 with 3 10x10 garage doors and a regular door. This required the 12' wall instead of 10'. The total cost before tax was $12,895 - or $13.43 installed.

The doors with the extra height added $4,240. So, the total without the 3 10x10 garage doors (just one 36" door) would have been $9.01.

That is fully installed on any pad I have installed, probably have another $6,000 - $6,500 so I expect to be around $20sqft when finished. But, I only got one building.

Edited by Mark S (03/15/21 07:23 AM)

#1742187 - 03/15/21 08:11 AM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Smart move Mark... I am really glad the guys could help you with a sharp pencil price.

I have a call in with Robbie this morning myself to get a 3rd building quoted.

Weird times.

#1742333 - 03/15/21 11:04 AM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

So, had a phone call with Robbie this morning and his boss Chad regarding the third building I may add. Decided the third building will be massively overbuilt. Possibly two foot on Center for the legs and roof and two foot on Center for the roof purlins. Same 30 ft wide and 48 ft long building with one 12 x 12 door and one 36 in man door.

Obviously I'm expecting a price increase per Sf because of the added structure. They are running it by the engineer now to see what the actual load will be. I am guessing 120 pounds per square foot or better.

I will Orient the third building for solar. Weight of the solar as well as a potential for 48 in of snow loading is the logic for the extra strength.

Robbie and his boss are doing everything they can to help me on price because I am getting three buildings.

What was amazing is that my particular Zone has not seen a price increase yet from one of the three main fabrication houses. They said every other Zone and every other fabrication house across the board has raised the prices by 20%.

Typically that would sound like a load of BS to upsell, but I don't think so.

Bottom line, they indicated that West Virginia, Ohio, the top of Virginia and a tiny part of Tennessee we're in the zone that has not seen an increase yet. I asked Robbie to send me a picture of the zone map and I will post it up as soon as I can.

Why am I doing all of this? There's some weird stuff going on in the US right now and I'm just trying to help like-minded folks that may want a metal building... understand and observe the process I'm going through.

No hard sell... and of course you're welcome to ignore this post and not comment negatively on this post to your heart's content and without permission.

Edited by Cash is King (03/15/21 11:10 AM)
Edit Reason: Damn phone typos

#1745847 - 03/23/21 04:52 PM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
graybeard Offline
Marksman

Loc: Va
City or County: Fauquier
Thanks for all the info and process of putting up a metal building.
I will be looking to do this on a year or two when I retire to my home on SW Va.

#1746382 - 03/24/21 10:16 PM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
Thanks for the post. It answered the questions I have been pondering.

I have a 3-room house on my property that I use for storage but the pilings are failing and the situation must be addressed this summer.

If I find what I suspect I'll find when I get under there, it will be metal building time.

#1806681 - 09/22/21 10:33 AM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XR4FWPNXF5UkgA5V7

We had a lot of delays this year... lost our son Rob back in April.

But in the past month or so we have been placing concrete slabs and footings for the two metal buildings. The buildings are being fabricated at this time. Installation hopefully will be in the next few weeks.

To say that concrete work on the side and top of a mountain is a challenge is a complete understatement. There is only one batch plant available to us. 6 yards of concrete is the minimum and although the truck can haul 10 cubic yards two of those yards will pour out on the extremely steep grades of our roads and land. Most "normal city" concrete truck drivers will not attempt delivery because of the extreme conditions, but in West Virginia the drivers have the hair of the bear in them.

The grade is so extreme that if a driver misses a gear he has to back up and start over at the bottom of the mountain.

I will try to get together a picture essay link of progress.

There has been a dramatic increase in costs in the steel industry, but the metal buildings are necessary for other build-out projects on the mountain. For example the welded wire mesh used in our slab has gone from $6 a sheet to $25 a sheet in six months time. The metal buildings increased by $3,200 each.

More pictures and info to follow.

#1806938 - 09/23/21 06:11 AM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Updated pictures...

This is an album link... Best way to the whole picture essay.

West Virginia Buildout

#1813650 - 10/13/21 08:56 PM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

First building is UP!

#2 is coming in next Monday.

Final price went up to $13.70+/- per Square Foot

WHY?

The people that sell these buildings write the contracts (there is a small clause about astronomical materials cost increases). We contracted for two buildings back in January with an install of early May anticipated.

Our beloved son Rob took his own life in mid April. We spent months after that at the bottom of a whiskey barrel (I will write about that in another post, so please do not offer condolences/cross posts/bumps about that here... THANKS!).

Back to the buildings...

Steel prices went CRAZY over the summer. 2"x2" tube steel went from $1.80 per linear foot to $4.80 per linear foot.

The fabricator of these buildings asked for $3,200 extra per building. 95% of the people that had contracted for building walked away from the price increase... and cussed the hell out of the fabricator. We did not.

The original post says $10 per SF... that WAS an accurate number for a normal 14 gauge 5' on center basic building. BUT, I decided (after my original purchase)... to go stronger. I paid extra for 12 gauge steel and 4' centers... Lateral loads are 120 mph wind now vs. 85mph (?) before... Roof loading went from 12" of snow to 3 feet... or something there about. I plan to add 8' on center pallet racking on the interior (attached to the vertical ribs)... this will make the lateral load CRAZY STRONG. I will also add "kickers" from the pallet racking to the bottom chord of the truss. Until I run calculations I can only guess that that will provide a dead load strength stronger than any possible WV blizzard... I get back to y'all later with pictures and calculations.

Other costs... site prep was maybe $1k, form-work and concrete placement/finishing was under $2k... concrete was 24 yards and about $4k. Rebar and #10 WWM was about $600. Electrical panel, weather-head etc. will be well under $1k.

Finished turn key job is around $19.60 per square foot. This building is "Double Certified" on strength... that is an actual term derived from the 12 gauge steel at 4' centers.

If I spent $150 on plywood, studs, shingles and paint to build a 3' x 3' doghouse... that would be $16.67 per square foot.

Truth in advertising... a tube steel metal building is NOT a premium product. Someone bragging on this product is kinda like someone bragging on T1-11 siding on their garage... or Formica countertops... or Pergo flooring... or a Chevy Camero with a 4 cylinder engine.

I describe my building as K-Mart grade that has been "Deluxe-ified" to my needs. That OK... I am satisfied.

Install crew was AMAZING... 4 illegal Mexicans... they worked so efficiently it was almost like watching ballet. Super nice guys... LOVE AMERICA...

These 4 guys could outwork any 8 white guys I have ever hired.

By 9:26 AM they had the rim joists down and half of the ribs up. By 10:02 AM, they had the front and back walls and ALL of the ribs up and plumb. By 4:30 PM the building was complete except for some trim and the 12' x 12' roll up door.

Not once did they stop... no lunch, no cell phones, no smoke breaks... they were like robots... I have run hundreds of millions of dollar of construction projects in my life... but NEVER seen anything like this... EVER. Hell, they even snapped chalk lines to make sure screws were aligned... and screw heads plumb and square.

Bottomline... we are doing two 30' x 48' buildings and a few cabins this year (hopefully). Pictures below are the various sites on our mountain... the work is satisfying and a hell of alot better for me than a whiskey barrel.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D3EVwsEsLJMVdgDz9

Feel free to ask questions about the building or process... if you have any...

Current price for the exact same building (maybe $19.44 SF), plus the concrete and electrical... Turn key at $26.34 or somewhere thereabout. People that cancelled their contracts... shouldn't have.

Good luck fellas... Crazy world... Crazy times.

Edited by Cash is King (10/13/21 09:52 PM)
Edit Reason: Typos

#1813658 - 10/13/21 09:16 PM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

How would a man "Deluxify" the building even further?

Add one extra roof "High Hat" purlin on each side of the roof framing for closer "on centers" for the 29 gauge roofing steel.

Add wall purlins at 2' centers for extra bracing strength and vertical siding... extra cost... maybe $1,500?

#1814005 - 10/14/21 09:43 PM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
Debating steel vs stick built for a detached garage at my house, and I appreciate the info

#1815855 - 10/20/21 12:48 PM Re: $10 SF Metal buildings [Re: Cash is King]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Long story short... I am needing to get power up to the summit of our mountain. Local rule is 1,000' of power to a cabin, residence or building is free... but a straight run to the top... maybe 6,800' would be $400k... maybe $500k.

SO... decided to put in buildings and cabins along the way. Link To Pictures... Put a picture between the various projects just to keep them separate for now as you look at pics.

First 1,000' is Metal Building #1

Second 1,000' is "Baby Bear"

Third 1k feet is Metal Building #2

Forth 1k feet is "Mama Bear"

... and so on and so forth.

I'll put up more info on costs as I go thru the tally, but as a ball park (as I best recall)... maybe $19,600 on each building (including 6% sales tax but WITHOUT Concrete)... $5k-$6k on the concrete slab and $4k or so on the footing and block building. Electric panel installed maybe $600 each

Baby Bear will be under $8k and Mama Bear maybe $20k.

Bottomline, These will make for nice shops and practical cabins for far less than just the power run would have been.

Metal building #2 pics below... FYI, concrete and buildings on the side of a mountain is a real PITA.