Who's Online
15 registered (larry1341, Dprill95, SigBoone, DanLfortheW, Gnome, guns85, GreenArrow08, BFRISK, Hobbez84, Craaber, John92, LukefromTx, Bn1837, 2 invisible), 13 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1860702 - 02/28/22 07:31 AM Inherited firearms in VA ???
hcrdnk Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Bristow PWC
City or County: Bristow
Searching the web for an answer but figured I'd ask around here... Does anyone know if inherited firearms are subject to the new transfer laws implemented for "private sales"? Asking for a friend. Any help or a point in the right direction towards up to date literature would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#1860715 - 02/28/22 08:14 AM Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? [Re: hcrdnk]
2APatriot Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Northern Virginia
City or County: Fairfax county
as far as I know yes you still do, but I haven't found evidence otherwise

#1860844 - 02/28/22 02:58 PM Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? [Re: hcrdnk]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
They are not subject to transfer law as long as you have not paid or traded anything for them.

#1865574 - 03/12/22 04:30 PM Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? [Re: Va Hunter]
2APatriot Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Northern Virginia
City or County: Fairfax county
are you positive about that?

#1865647 - 03/12/22 06:28 PM Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? [Re: hcrdnk]
a_s Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Richmond
City or County: Richmond
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308.2:5/

A. No person shall sell a firearm for money, goods, services or anything else of value unless he has obtained verification from a licensed dealer in firearms that information on the prospective purchaser has been submitted for a criminal history record information check as set out in § 18.2-308.2:2 and that a determination has been received from the Department of State Police that the prospective purchaser is not prohibited under state or federal law from possessing a firearm or such sale is specifically exempted by state or federal law. The Department of State Police shall provide a means by which sellers may obtain from designated licensed dealers the approval or denial of firearm transfer requests, based on criminal history record information checks.

#1866441 - 03/14/22 03:41 PM Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? [Re: hcrdnk]
dragnhart Offline
Bolt action

Loc: VA
City or County: King William
I was under the impression, if ownership changed, one would need to go through the transfer process (background check, etc). If the law ONLY states the above, then someone can "give" a firearm to anyone (as long as they are within knowledge they are not a felon).

I would suggest looking up VA law, calling an FFL, or even contacting the state police for guidance.

Edited by dragnhart (03/14/22 03:42 PM)
pewpewprecision@gmail.com

#1866906 - 03/15/22 07:16 PM Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? [Re: dragnhart]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
Originally Posted By: dragnhart
I was under the impression, if ownership changed, one would need to go through the transfer process (background check, etc). If the law ONLY states the above, then someone can "give" a firearm to anyone (as long as they are within knowledge they are not a felon).

I would suggest looking up VA law, calling an FFL, or even contacting the state police for guidance.

"Gifting" with no good/services/$ exchanged is exempt from UBC.

The law posted above is clear,imho.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1887254 - 05/12/22 09:37 PM Re: Inherited firearms in VA ??? [Re: hcrdnk]
Richards Offline
Richardb

Loc: Richmond
City or County: Powhatan
This has been hashed out many times. The law is written pretty clear. Nothing of value is exchanged for the firearm then no background check.