Who's Online
12 registered (79CJ5, VB14BC, CoolLogic, jcwradonc, Seraph1926, Ramsey, djmeelow, Dathien, Walthergobrrr, 3 invisible), 16 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1866604 - 03/14/22 11:48 PM Is this the end of Russian calibers?
LmgM Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Alexandria
City or County: NOVA
I want to start by saying clearly that my intention is not to suggest any sort of panic buying or hoarding. Heck, with today’s prices, if you can actually afford to purchase significant amount of bulk ammo, more power to you. But this is not what this post is about.

My question is this: With the COVID crap, and now the severe Russian sanctions due to war in Ukraine, are the days of steady, reliable, and cheap Russian steel case ammo (or similar quality Eastern European ammo) gone for good?

At this point I am not desperate enough to pay $500 a case of 7.62x39 for what used to be $200.But at the same time I am envisioning times in the near future when buying any amount of 7.62x39, 5.45x39, or 7.62x54r may seem like a past memory of times long gone. Looking at the ammo forums, I already see very little of this stuff for sale anymore so I guess other people can sense this as well and are keeping their supply.

What do some of the old timers think? I mean the folks who have seen this play out before in the 80’s and 90’s….the norinco ammo ban comes to mind. What are some prevailing thoughts?

#1866755 - 03/15/22 12:00 PM Re: Is this the end of Russian calibers? [Re: LmgM]
GE_Minigun Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia, USA
City or County: Winchester
It will come back…when (couple years) but in reality…no idea but it will be back. Although gone will be the days of cheap when it does come back…back in the 80’s a friend of mine purchased an SKS carbine for $70-80 covered in cosmoline, also you could get a case of 7.62x39 for $50…680, 780 or 880 rounds, do not remember but an odd number. We would go to gun shows every weekend and he had come out with 3-4 cases every time…did that for about a year. Last time I was in his house he still had the ammo in the cases setting in the corner, probably 4’x4’…5’ tall…says he is going to shoot it someday, been saying that for the last 30+ years

Ronal Reagan (8/11/84)