Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1885528 - 05/07/22 08:08 PM How hard is it to sell a milled glock 19?
CaliAsian Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Virginia, USA
City or County: Arlington
Hello all, new to VA. First time gun owner, purchased a new G19 gen 5. Proceeded to add some minor mods (Streamlight TLR-7A, Talon grip, Ameriglo sights), then realized gen 5's aren't legal in CA.

If I ever intend to move back to CA in 3-5 yrs (family is there and if better job opportunities arise), how hard would it be to sell my Glock if it's been milled for a Holosun 507c (I'd either sell with RDO or take the RDO to Cali)? Would it hold its value less compared to if it was stock?

My rationing is that since the 507c seems to be pretty popular, it shouldn't hurt its resale value too much? At worst would a gun shop buy it off me?

Edit: sorry if this is the wrong area to post, site is kind of confusing and wasn't sure where else to post

Edited by CaliAsian (05/07/22 08:10 PM)

#1885547 - 05/07/22 09:07 PM Re: How hard is it to sell a milled glock 19? [Re: CaliAsian]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
A Gen 5 is legal in California if you move there with it. As long as you don't have a threaded barrel, you are good to go.
The bonus is that if you decide you don't want it once you're there, the market for off-roster pistols is pretty good. A Gen5 Glock in stock configuration would easily get $800-1000
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1885647 - 05/08/22 09:47 AM Re: How hard is it to sell a milled glock 19? [Re: rromeo]
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

City or County: Lynchburg
Originally Posted By: rromeo
A Gen 5 is legal in California if you move there with it. As long as you don't have a threaded barrel, you are good to go.
The bonus is that if you decide you don't want it once you're there, the market for off-roster pistols is pretty good. A Gen5 Glock in stock configuration would easily get $800-1000

I would caveat that with not much is moving right now, especially $800 Glocks. The handgun section is full of posts bumped a lot of times because of a variety of factors influencing the gun market in VA right now.

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes

#1885703 - 05/08/22 11:23 AM Re: How hard is it to sell a milled glock 19? [Re: Verylargeboots]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Originally Posted By: Verylargeboots
Originally Posted By: rromeo

I would caveat that with not much is moving right now, especially $800 Glocks. The handgun section is full of posts bumped a lot of times because of a variety of factors influencing the gun market in VA right now.

The gun market in Virginia is different than the gun market in California. If it's not on the safe handgun roster, dealers can't sell them, but private party sales are okay. You can pretty much double the retail price.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1885713 - 05/08/22 11:59 AM Re: How hard is it to sell a milled glock 19? [Re: rromeo]
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

City or County: Lynchburg
Wow, I did not know that. That's interesting how that works in such a heavily regulated state.

Edited by Verylargeboots (05/08/22 12:00 PM)

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes

#1885766 - 05/08/22 02:14 PM Re: How hard is it to sell a milled glock 19? [Re: CaliAsian]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

There's a roster of handguns that is considered "safe" The manufacturers submit a gun for testing. Most guns will pass the basic tests, but they have added other restrictions over the years, so pretty much it's impossible to get a new semiauto pistol on the roster now. Loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect, etc. Those were fairly simple, but a few years ago they added microstamping.
Anyway, a gun store can't sell a gun that isn't on the roster, but they're still legal to own. If you move to California, and have one you can keep it. You can also generally sell it at a good profit. You can't just go there and sell guns though, you do need a CA driver's license, because private sales go through an FFL.
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1793876
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1792859
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1789157
But the point for the OP is if you are considering moving to California, sell handguns when you get there, not before.

#1886552 - 05/10/22 03:51 PM Re: How hard is it to sell a milled glock 19? [Re: rromeo]
CaliAsian Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Virginia, USA
City or County: Arlington
Oh wow I didn't know that I would be able to bring a gen 5 there even though it's off the roster, that's neat. And I decided to go forwards with getting it milled for a Holosun 507c laugh