Who's Online
14 registered (Bullet41, ZM3L8R, DefenseTwo, rjennings03A3, manbearpig99, BigMacMil, Brycejones7, Pewpew, Andrew454, 5 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243410 - 12/21/11 09:28 AM THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once!
Just Joe Offline
1Delta 10Tango A.D.L.

Loc: Mechanicsville
City or County: Hanover
Heres the scenario:
The SHTF. The economy took another massive dive leaving millions upon millions more without income.
There are now groups of looters all over the country.
LEO/MIL just does not have the man power to defend everyone and you are essentialy left alone to fend for yourself and family.
There is a group trying to gain entry into your home by force.
They are kicking in the door and it will give any second.
You only have a few seconds to grab ONE firearm.
What is in your hands and why did you reach for that first?

I will storm the gates of hell.

They see me trollin', They hatin'.
Patrollin' mods tryin' to catch me shoutboxin' dirty.

#243411 - 12/21/11 09:33 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
Just Joe Offline
1Delta 10Tango A.D.L.

if this were to happen today, i would have to reach for the glock simply becuase i can manuveur (SP) easily with a pistol and one extra mag in my hands. ideally, what i would like to have should this ever happen would be a 8+1 (tactical style) shotgun. the wider pattern would definitely come in handy.
i am working on getting a boomstick. smile

#243424 - 12/21/11 09:54 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
Gonzo Offline
Traveling Man

Loc: Virginia Beach
City or County: Virginia Beach

Edited by Gonzo (12/21/11 09:55 AM)

#243430 - 12/21/11 10:00 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Gonzo]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area

#243435 - 12/21/11 10:02 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
Ryan327 Offline
Salvage shooter

Loc: Northern Virginia
City or County: Lorton
AR-15, I want the most firepower I can carry. 5+1 in my shotgun just isn't enough.

#243459 - 12/21/11 11:02 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Ryan327]
newagesmythie Offline
Full Auto

Loc: not in a box
City or County: nottoway
Tripp research double stack 38 super with extra mags. Nothin like 21 rounds of super.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

#243465 - 12/21/11 11:08 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: newagesmythie]
daltona117 Offline
Valar Morghulis

Loc: Richmond, VA
City or County: Chesterfield

#243469 - 12/21/11 11:19 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: daltona117]
MultiPurpose Offline
Full Auto

Loc: VA
City or County: Warrenton
I'll start handing these out to family members!

#243480 - 12/21/11 11:31 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: MultiPurpose]
shakey Offline
Addicted

Loc: stafford, va
City or County: stafford
I would have to go with a shotgun and my pistols as backup. More than likely after you shoot a few the rest will most likely run and possibly try another home that may be defenseless.

#243497 - 12/21/11 11:59 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: shakey]
CheroHunt Offline
Another old, not old guy

Loc: Midlothian, VA
City or County: Chesterfield
I would have to reach for my G21 because that's what I have on me. If it's only seconds, I don't have time to get a shotgun, AK, AR or anything else until I go through 14 rounds of .45 JHP. After I get through that, if I have time, then I'll get the big guns out and they would never be far out of reach after that.

#243505 - 12/21/11 12:16 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: CheroHunt]
MultiPurpose Offline
Full Auto

City or County: Warrenton
In all honesty, it'll probably be my Glock 17 since that's what I generally carry, but hopefully I'd have 15 seconds or so to go grab the AR.

#243513 - 12/21/11 12:40 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

City or County: 22973
Originally Posted By: Joe Mama!!
Heres the scenario:
The SHTF. The economy took another massive dive leaving millions upon millions more without income.
That is the current situation.
There are now groups of looters all over the country.
That is the current situation.
LEO/MIL just does not have the man power to defend everyone and you are essentialy left alone to fend for yourself and family.
The supreme court has ruled LE has no duty to protect, let alone defend anyone. Already the situation.
There is a group trying to gain entry into your home by force.
There are some stupid folks out there.
They are kicking in the door and it will give any second.
It's usually the frame not the door that gives, steel door and reinforced frames laminated glasss, along with extra long dead bolt w/ 10inch srcews.
You only have a few seconds to grab ONE firearm.
Exterior lights and motion sensors can prevent this kind of surprise as well as dogs, medium to large free roaming on your property work well.
What is in your hands and why did you reach for that first?
My normal home defense firearm is a G20 w/6" Barrel slide w/ NS and surefire light mounted, mag has a +5 extension giving me 16rds of 180gr GD's @ 1400fps followed by 5 rd of 220gr HC @ 1200fps.

My answers in red:
Why this setup, it's portable, reliable, accurate and more than enough power to drop man or four legged beast.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#243556 - 12/21/11 01:42 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
jgrubb426 Offline
Addicted

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
City or County: North Chesterfield
Hopefully it isn't soon so I can get my 935 SPX and Pistol grip.

Semi-Auto 12ga with Slugs. I won't need to kill them all. Limbs and body parts flying out the door of the first 3 should be enough to clear the rest out.

If not. Everyone in my house has a .45.

#243559 - 12/21/11 01:44 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Agent19]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Loc: just south of Richmond,VA
City or County: tri cities
A very well spoken response, Agent.
Prepping is good, but prepping without Jesus is like drilling holes in the boat. Acts 2:37-38/Proverbs 1:24-33
-----------

#243563 - 12/21/11 01:49 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Ledchunkr]
Just Joe Offline
1Delta 10Tango A.D.L.

yes this is the current situation but it can get even worse. thats what im getting at. the bottom can completely fall out from under and the dollar will mean literally nothing. also, ive never kicked in a door so ive never witnessed the frame give...shady. ;P
not everyone has the luxury to have motion sensors/lights and/or dogs...what then?
your answers are great, im not disputing that, but not everyone lives in that perfect world where they have the ability to reinforce their homes.
i for one, rent a town home...big freaking glass door to the back yard. if i dont react fast enough my family would be seriously hurt or worse. my dog? a freaking chihuahua...my neighbors? all idiots that will most likely be the ones looting.

#243573 - 12/21/11 02:10 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: jgrubb426]
OXN Offline
Reagan Bush '84

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Richmond
Originally Posted By: jgrubb426

Semi-Auto 12ga with Slugs. I won't need to kill them all. Limbs and body parts flying out the door of the first 3 should be enough to clear the rest out.

This is a very good point; the only people who want to get into your house more than they want to wake up the next day are either

A) Zombies

B) High on some kind of drug, or

C) Not wearing their tinfoil hats

Because of this, it'd be very likely that after the first one or two get whacked, the rest will think better of the situation and leave. In the vein of encouraging this phenomenon, my choice is this.

#243617 - 12/21/11 03:50 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Loc: just south of Richmond,VA
City or County: tri cities
yes this is the current situation but it can get even worse. thats what im getting at. the bottom can completely fall out from under and the dollar will mean literally nothing. also, ive never kicked in a door so ive never witnessed the frame give...shady. ;P
not everyone has the luxury to have motion sensors/lights and/or dogs...what then?
your answers are great, im not disputing that, but not everyone lives in that perfect world where they have the ability to reinforce their homes.
i for one, rent a town home...big freaking glass door to the back yard. if i dont react fast enough my family would be seriously hurt or worse. my dog? a freaking chihuahua...my neighbors? all idiots that will most likely be the ones looting.

Wasn't downplaying the gist of yer scenario Joe ... trying to highlight Agents prep now points. Reckon not all of us take into account many that have rentals and such and cannot make permanant upgrades. The ability to afford such things is always a factor too. As pertains yer glass door - if I were in your shoes and had the bucks (check Craigslist), I'd replace the door .. keeping the old one to reinstall later if code / rules so dictated (heard of many ridiculous rules some communities have .. like no clothes line poles for instance). Don't know just what is allowed.

Don't underestimate yer Chee Wha Wha. His job may just be to sound the alarm and alert the boss of an evil force in the kingdom - thus putting the ball in yer court !

If you're handy you could pull the door trim and recess a steel plate reinforcement for the bolt throw. Replace the trim and it aint visible. Keyed inside deadbolts have their pluses and minuses, but they do eliminate the potential to unlock via a broken glass. Old time remedies will give at least a moments notice - stacked (noisy) containers by the door so silent entry is not possible. We do what we can and anything is better than doing nothing.
Prepping is good, but prepping without Jesus is like drilling holes in the boat. Acts 2:37-38/Proverbs 1:24-33
-----------

#243620 - 12/21/11 03:57 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
ryanrichmond Offline
resident trouble maker

Loc: Richmond VA
City or County: richmond
also, ive never kicked in a door so ive never witnessed the frame give.

Your typical door frame gives really easily. We used to have 8 houses on the university property where I work. The houses were all being demolished to make way for new structures so our job was to go in and remove the furniture for future use. They gave us the keys to the houses but it seemed more fun to enter via a boot to the door. We went through all 8 houses and kicked in the front and back doors (16 doors). In most cases it only took 1 kick ...sometimes 2 right where the locking mechanisms are located. The frames crumbled and we were in. Now of course these were houses built in the 70's and had had no kind of reinforcing of any kind. In fact I don't even think there were deadbolts on the houses so if you have deadbolts, you can expect it to take at least 3 kicks.
It was an eye opener. I reinforced my doors at home. I went ahead and put a solid steel door on the back of the house. I'm saving for a steel door for the front now.

It's a toss up as to what I'd grab first as a main gun. If it happened RIGHT THIS SECOND and they busted in, my 9mm pistol is right next to me so that'd be the first thing I could touch.
If they started kicking and I had 5-10 seconds, I'd still grab the pistol but I'd be heading to the safe where I have the AK47 and a 20 round magazine loaded and inserted.
As it is right now, my back room (where I spend a lot of my time) is laid out to offer a lot of good cover. I have a clear line of sights from the back room through the kitchen and into the living room. I can see my front door from where I sit right now. My desk is positioned right next to the doorway in the back room so it offers cover. I didn't do that on purpose but it works out.

#243625 - 12/21/11 04:09 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Ledchunkr]
Just Joe Offline
1Delta 10Tango A.D.L.

it wasnt taken in that context whatsoever. smile no harm done!

#243626 - 12/21/11 04:11 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
Just Joe Offline
1Delta 10Tango A.D.L.

although...there is a shatter resistant film that was mentioned in one of the other threads i can place on those back doors... thanks agent! you got the gears moving!

#243629 - 12/21/11 04:12 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
ryanrichmond Offline
resident trouble maker

Loc: Richmond VA
City or County: richmond
If it's THAT bad, I'm boarding up the windows with 3/4" plywood.

#243644 - 12/21/11 04:45 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

City or County: 22973

it can get even worse.
Agreed.
Most of these have low cost options, most home improvement stores have motion sensing adaptors for exterior lights. there are also low cost aubile sensors
big freaking glass door to the back yard.
I would ask the landlord to cover the cost of the scatter resistant laminate and I'd attach a steel rod to help keep unwanted guest from opening the sliding open
my dog? a freaking chihuahua...
it ain't the size of the dog but the size of the fight in him/her
small dogs usually make great alarms

my neighbors? all idiots that will most likely be the ones looting.
I can't help you with this one, if you decide to move if I'm free I'm there.

Ever thought about having cameras/video set up to record event's when you are away?
Something stored off site.

My dogs aren't expected to engage just deter... it's my job to engage...
When things go bump they both know ther jobs, the older dog sits outside my kids rooms(was taught that early on)
My young dog comes with me as she can see and hear what I can't.

I also have instructed my kids 11yr, 8yr (the other is 23months she can throw poo) what to do just in case of emergency, fire etc....
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#243650 - 12/21/11 04:52 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Agent19]
Just Joe Offline
1Delta 10Tango A.D.L.

he does have a lot of heart for a small package. lol

#243660 - 12/21/11 05:19 PM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: Just Joe]
11Z5M Offline
Winter is coming...

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Burke
This is slightly off topic, but very relevant. The article doesn't add much, but check out the graphic...

http://www.shtfplan.com/precious-metals/are-guns-and-ammo-the-new-gold-and-silver_12212011

-Tacitus, Annals III 27

#243870 - 12/22/11 08:01 AM Re: THEY'RE AT THE DOOR! A serious post for once! [Re: 11Z5M]
bkrawler Offline
Never enough bullets

Loc: Mechanicsville va
City or County: Mechanicsville
Quote:
If it's THAT bad, I'm boarding up the windows with 3/4" plywood.

They all grabbed cordless dewalt sawzaws from the local construction site. this happens all the time as well.

My dog is useless grin, I'm going to the beretta for enough time to grab the ar. I have an elevated position so letting one or two go by may trap some. Odds are if their kicking the door in they haven't planned to well to surprise so their intelligence level is that of a 8th grader. Odds are you'll kill a few, the cops will actually show up, and you'll most likely get charged and locked up. Never fails that the guy protecting his abode is always guilty.

I do custom duracoat. Send me a pm for a quote.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >