Who's Online
13 registered (Turbine15, cvo springer, John92, Eric Pugh, BillofRights, hammer553, chutchi2, ZM3L8R, kg23, DamonL, 3 invisible), 15 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#296625 - 03/25/12 08:33 AM Bill of Sale for firearm transactions
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

Loc: Richmond west end
City or County: Henrico
Written by an attorney in Virginia. I formatted it for ease of use and converted it to a PDF.

Posted as a courtesy to VGT members.

Scroll down to image below. Right click and print or save.

Edited by TMVA (04/23/14 07:41 PM)
Psalm 22:11

#296642 - 03/25/12 08:57 AM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Loc: just south of Richmond,VA
City or County: tri cities
Thanks for reposting TMVA.
Prepping is good, but prepping without Jesus is like drilling holes in the boat. Acts 2:37-38/Proverbs 1:24-33
-----------

#312831 - 04/23/12 12:18 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: Ledchunkr]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

Here's what it looks like:

Attachments
Bill of Sale for Firearm.jpg

#313336 - 04/24/12 09:01 AM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
rzrbak Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Powhatan
exactly what i was looking for. thanks for the post!

#313398 - 04/24/12 10:36 AM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

You can use the link to download the .PDF or you can right click the image and save it as a .JPG.

#377571 - 08/20/12 06:23 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
Tedzilla Offline
Fully Semi-Serious

Loc: McLean
City or County: Fairfax
TMVA,
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Just what's needed, easy to find...
Regards,
Ted

#389766 - 09/11/12 11:24 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
jasonw43 Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Loudoun
Very nice. Thanks

#397035 - 09/25/12 10:13 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
Immortal Chaff Offline
Pee Shooter

Loc: Fairfax, Virginia
Thank you for this very helpful info. Greatly appreciated!!!

#430788 - 12/02/12 10:52 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
There has been quite a lot of discussion on Bills of Sales lately - just want to clarify for anyone who may be confused:
1. BOS is not required by VA law
2. BOS is not required by this site
3. BOS is soley up to the discretion of the seller
4. Requirement for BOS should be communicated to the buyer prior to the deal.
5. Any buyer who refuses to sign BOS should not and will not be looked upon as if he/she has done anything wrong.
6. It is not recommended to provide anything that could be used by identity thieves - including, but not limited to - Address, DL #, SSN, photos of DL
7. Personally, I provide- name, City, ST, and Signature - nothing more is necessary for seller's records.

JG

#431434 - 12/04/12 09:18 AM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: JG]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
Originally Posted By: JG
There has been quite a lot of discussion on Bills of Sales lately - just want to clarify for anyone who may be confused:
1. BOS is not required by VA law
2. BOS is not required by this site
3. BOS is soley up to the discretion of the seller
4. Requirement for BOS should be communicated to the buyer prior to the deal.
5. Any buyer who refuses to sign BOS should not and will not be looked upon as if he/she has done anything wrong.
6. It is not recommended to provide anything that could be used by identity thieves - including, but not limited to - Address, DL #, SSN, photos of DL
7. Personally, I provide- name, City, ST, and Signature - nothing more is necessary for seller's records.

JG

Thank you.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#431455 - 12/04/12 09:47 AM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
BOM1911 Offline
( . Y . )

City or County: Chesterfield County
Well said JG. I would add that sellers requiring multiple pieces of ID (not required by law) should also communicate that prior to the sale.

#431639 - 12/04/12 05:04 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

I agree with everything said.

There are other factors one may consider in the decision to obtain a BoS when a firearm is transferred between individuals:

Seller- the BoS provides proof of the date of disposal. This could be very important if the gun is later used in the commission of a crime and could be traced to you.

Buyer- BoS provides proof of acquisition date if the gun is later discovered to be evidence to a crime that occurred before the transaction took place.

In summary, the BoS protects both individuals in one way or the other and is a good thing to have on file. Information about the individuals should be sufficient to identify each person if they become the subject of an investigation. Sensitive personal info is not necessary, but a lack of info that would create a dead end during a police investigation would make the BoS useless as evidence in your defense.

This is not meant as a recommendation one way or another.

The BoS was posted as a courtesy for our members who wish to use it.

#443540 - 12/24/12 09:58 AM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
user Offline
Constitutionalist

Loc: Broad Run, VA.
City or County: Fauquier
I prefer the bill of sale form I wrote as I originally drafted it. Only problem is, I had it on my website, then switched host system providers, so it's no longer accessible at the moment. Anyone who wants one can send me an email (not a pm) and I'll email back a copy in PDF format.

I think that the lawyer from whom the OP (quite innocently) got the form he's using had adapted mine, hence the similarity in language. However, some of the things that were omitted in an attempt to simplify the form were things that I think are legally important for protecting both parties in the event of any kind of criminal prosecution or other litigation. See, the purpose of the form, by my lights, is not to help with the purchase and sale of a firearm. It's to provide defensive evidence in the event something bad happens down the road.

Edited by user (12/30/12 07:44 AM)

#443680 - 12/24/12 12:52 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: user]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
Here is USERS email - vgt-user@virginialegaldefense.com
we need to figure out how to get that form on here as a link.
any ideas guys?

#444381 - 12/26/12 08:34 AM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

Originally Posted By: TMVA
You can use the link to download the .PDF or you can right click the image and save it as a .JPG.

#444409 - 12/26/12 09:50 AM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
does this work?
hmm, didnt turn out that good

Attachments
bos.jpg

Edited by VaGunTrader (12/26/12 09:51 AM)

#504067 - 03/22/13 09:55 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: JG]
stuffbuyin Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Albemarle
Hi JG,
Are you still the moderator of the VAGT website? VAGunTraderAdministrader at the following post said this:

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/439942/1#.UU0JrzfzlJQ

Concerning bill of sales (BOS) Who is more correct you as the moderator or VAGunTrader as the administrator. Administrater VAGunTrader used a BOS from texasguntrader.com web site. I like your version of BOS requirements better at your post:

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/296625#Post296625's

Which policy is the correct one?

stuffbuyin

#504370 - 03/23/13 11:36 AM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
Hi Stuffbuyin,
In response to your questions :
1- Yes, I am one of the moderators on this site
2- Admin out ranks moderator (VAGUNTRADER is also the owner of the site)
3- There is no law or actual enforceable site rule/ policy governing BOS for private party transactions - only recommendations - please use your best judgement.
4- Because there are mixed opinions on how BOS (or lack thereof) should be handled , it is recommended that the parties involved in the transaction work out the details prior to meeting up for the deal.

#504576 - 03/23/13 05:33 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
UBETRUN Offline
Marksman

Loc: Stafford, VA
City or County: Stafford
I am curious why participation on this board includes a recommendation for a BoS when the law doesn't require it and nobody has been hassled for not having one? I see the moderator comments in this thread and think they are accurate and logical but when I visited the site today, I had to accept the board rules which included a recommendation to use a BoS. Not trying to cause trouble, trying to understand what why some believe a BoS is a good idea, what exactly will a BoS accomplish for a buyer and/or seller? And please, no irrational fear comments about "getting ATF attention" or being "put on a list", I'm asking a serious question and hoping that someone can explain what I'm obviously not understanding. Thanks!

#504589 - 03/23/13 05:56 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
JoeShmoe Offline
Full Auto

Loc: va
City or County: fairfax
Might not be a bad idea to have one if-

A. You purchase a stolen firearm

B. You sell a firearm and it ends up at a crime scene.

#512905 - 04/05/13 08:08 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
handgun man Offline
Handgun Man

Loc: Emporia, VA
City or County: Emporia
Funny, but when I ask a question, and get an answer, it comes from a fellow believer. Many thanks from one G&Gs guy to another.

#526714 - 04/30/13 04:40 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
GunDoggy Offline
Double barrel

Written by an attorney in Virginia. I formatted it for ease of use and converted it to a PDF.

http://www.freedrive.com/file/1595948

This download appears to be corrupted. Will not complete.

#526717 - 04/30/13 04:44 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: TMVA]
GunDoggy Offline
Double barrel

I would never buy or sell a firearm without a BoS.

If nothing else but to determine a concrete, exact Date and Time of change of custody.

But that's just me smile

#530998 - 05/08/13 02:09 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: GunDoggy]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

Originally Posted By: GunDoggy

http://www.freedrive.com/file/1595948

This download appears to be corrupted. Will not complete.

Scroll down to the reply of April 23. The image of the BoS is in that reply. Right click in the image and save it to your computer.

#531000 - 05/08/13 02:11 PM Re: Bill of Sale for firearm transactions [Re: UBETRUN]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

Originally Posted By: UBETRUN
I am curious why participation on this board includes a recommendation for a BoS when the law doesn't require it and nobody has been hassled for not having one? I see the moderator comments in this thread and think they are accurate and logical but when I visited the site today, I had to accept the board rules which included a recommendation to use a BoS. Not trying to cause trouble, trying to understand what why some believe a BoS is a good idea, what exactly will a BoS accomplish for a buyer and/or seller? And please, no irrational fear comments about "getting ATF attention" or being "put on a list", I'm asking a serious question and hoping that someone can explain what I'm obviously not understanding. Thanks!

If you read the reply of Dec 4th, it offers a little more insight as to why someone may want to use a BoS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >