Who's Online
6 registered (DerrickM, ChewbaccaBeast, Zach17981, Kevinlee93, 2 invisible), 14 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#452508 - 01/10/13 05:31 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
bayrunner Offline
Single barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Norfolk
The rifle I am selling was sold to me without a bill of sale. If I make a potential buyer sign a bill of sale for me could I face any potential backlash if the gun was eventually found to be stolen?

Not that I think that it is at all likely.

#454319 - 01/13/13 12:59 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
JohnShelton Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Hopewell
I would like to post my rifle how do I get started?

#469228 - 02/02/13 12:34 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
Leehubb Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Virginia Beach
I now have first hand experience with Firearm Bill of Sale. Received a call yesterday from local office of ATF office in Norfolk. I had sold a handgun to and individual from VA a few months ago and we prepaired a Bill of Sale. As it turns out, this firearm ended up in New York and the agent was tracing the sale and disposition. I had all info and even Faxed him a copy of Bill of Sale. Sure glad I had it. Be careful guys. You never know when you will get a trace call.

#474266 - 02/09/13 07:38 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
swamphag Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: virginia
City or County: BEDFORD
A friend of mine locally bought several guns over a few month period last year. The guns turned out to be stolen with no bill's of sale on any of them. My friends life is being made very interesting by the local LEO's, state and ATF at this very moment.

#495400 - 03/10/13 04:10 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
Scubasteve Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Norfolk, Virginia
City or County: Norfolk
Thanks for posting this. Now I will not feel sketched out to sell my Mosin Nagant.

#496821 - 03/12/13 12:08 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: DrMark]
P3Bill Offline
VETERAN PEASHOOTER

Loc: Wilderness
City or County: Orange County
Originally Posted By: DrMark

The law requires that the seller and buyer of a firearm must be a resident of the state in which the transfer occurs for a FTF transaction.

Furthermore, legally, a person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his state, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms.

A seller is not required by law to see ID; many do as a way to check residency.

A bill of sale is certainly not required by law; many avoid them on principle or as a way of protecting their Personally Identifiable Information (PII).

Identity theft is a real problem folks, and it's made easier by the casual release of PII. We're trained at work on the importance of and approached to protecting PII. Please think twice and protect yourself before providing personal information to a stranger, particularly a stranger who now has reason to believe you keep firearms in your home.

I agree. Will be happy to show my D/L and CHP. Record my address and Phone # but will not record D/L number or CHP number. I will not require that the other party record his/her personal information other than address. Routinely get phone number to facilitate rendezvous for sale.

#503847 - 03/22/13 04:32 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: P3Bill]
M16gunner Offline
.500 Linebaugh

City or County: Gladstone
Bill of sale to protect myself... Protect myself from WHAT? Seriously - what are you protecting yourselves from?

Seller asks, "Are you a VA resident?"
Buyer answers, "Yes."
DONE!

If you feel they are not a VA resident, DON'T SELL/BUY IT!

Take it as far as you need to to feel positive, but you won't be doing business with me.

#503899 - 03/22/13 06:00 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
UBETRUN Offline
Marksman

Loc: Stafford, VA
City or County: Stafford
M16gunner, you don't even have to ask if the buyer is a VA resident or ask if they are a felon. The law only says that you can't sell if you KNOW or SUSPECT the buyer is prohibited, the law says nothing about asking or proving the buyer's eligibility.

#503900 - 03/22/13 06:02 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: Leehubb]
UBETRUN Offline
Marksman

Originally Posted By: Leehubb
I now have first hand experience with Firearm Bill of Sale. Received a call yesterday from local office of ATF office in Norfolk. I had sold a handgun to and individual from VA a few months ago and we prepaired a Bill of Sale. As it turns out, this firearm ended up in New York and the agent was tracing the sale and disposition. I had all info and even Faxed him a copy of Bill of Sale. Sure glad I had it. Be careful guys. You never know when you will get a trace call.

And what would have happened if you didn't have the Bill of Sale?

#504003 - 03/22/13 08:35 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: UBETRUN]
M16gunner Offline
.500 Linebaugh

City or County: Gladstone
UBETRUN
You are absolutely right.

#504539 - 03/23/13 04:23 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
Leehubb Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Virginia Beach
I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have a bill of sale when the ATF office called me but I dont have worry about it. At least I got them off my back for what ever reason.

#504580 - 03/23/13 05:38 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: Leehubb]
UBETRUN Offline
Marksman

Originally Posted By: Leehubb
I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have a bill of sale when the ATF office called me but I dont have worry about it. At least I got them off my back for what ever reason.

Just telling them that you sold it would have got them off your back too.

#504793 - 03/23/13 11:22 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
you guys can do what you want but with a bill of sale it takes the attention away from you

if you buy a gun don't you want to prove who you bought it from?

in the event that the gun you bought turns out to be stolen you have some explaining to do.

wouldn't it be so much easier to hand that bill of sale over to the authorities and say "go talk to this guy"

or you can just play tough guy and see how it pans out

#509982 - 04/01/13 12:18 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
thabigo Offline
Bolt action

City or County: Falls Church
Ok so here is a Scenario. Since I am In Northern Virginia, I have DC and Maryland within 15-30 mins away. If a MD resident wants to buy a AR-15 Lower from me would that be legal? What if he signs my Bill of Sale (the ones you have listed here), Provides Photo ID, and myself being a Notary I notarize his Signature... I don't see how this would not be ok.

What are your thoughts on this?

#510035 - 04/01/13 07:23 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
its my understanding that the lower is treated just like a whole gun. There is a serial number on the lower. That lower needs to be delivered to a FFL in Md and it needs to be transferred to the buyer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

#510114 - 04/01/13 10:19 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
UBETRUN Offline
Marksman

VaGunTrader is correct, can't legally do a private sale if the buyer and seller are from different states.

#510258 - 04/01/13 03:14 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
thabigo Offline
Bolt action

City or County: Falls Church
Yea I was reading the Maryland Code and it states...
"Private firearms sellers (persons who are not licensed dealers) must process transfers1 of “regulated firearms” (handguns and assault weapons)2 through a licensed dealer or designated law enforcement agency.3 In addition, no regulated firearm transfers may be made to any person whom the private seller knows or has a reasonable cause to believe is a prohibited purchaser under state law."

"Private sales of standard rifles and shotguns are not required to be processed through a licensed dealer, and purchasers are not subject to background checks."

So I guess Standard Rifles and Shotties are OK.

But Realistically. If you do get that purchasers information and Verify with DL, what is the difference if they are from MD or VA. You have there information and a Signed Bill of SALE. That should cover your butt regardless.

IF you read the Bill of Sale that they are signing it States " CAN Lawfully Receive, possess, ship or transport a firearm."
I guess if I were to add "CAN Legally Purchase Firearm In the STATE OF Maryland"

That would be extra butt coverage.

Edited by thabigo (04/01/13 03:17 PM)

#510291 - 04/01/13 04:30 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
UBETRUN Offline
Marksman

It's not just state law that governs interstate transfers, ATF regulations specifically prohibit sales across state lines without FFL involvement.

#511314 - 04/03/13 09:02 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
handgun man Offline
Handgun Man

Loc: Emporia, VA
City or County: Emporia
I am selling a gun today, and for some reason, it's not letting me print out a bill of sale form. I have done it previously with no problem. Can anyone help?

#512282 - 04/04/13 07:21 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

Loc: Richmond west end
City or County: Henrico
Follow this link, scroll down, right click in image, save it to your computer, print as needed.

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/296625#Post296625
Psalm 22:11

#512936 - 04/05/13 08:51 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: TMVA]
handgun man Offline
Handgun Man

Loc: Emporia, VA
City or County: Emporia
I thought I was thanking you earlier, but it didn't show up. It's also good to know that there are other G & Gs guys (in that order) tuned in to this site. Too bad so many can't understand the two being linked.

Thanks again for your response.

#539971 - 05/25/13 07:19 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: nk02442]
gunman33 Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: va
City or County: richmond
No there is not a law, and really we should not
be placing the concerns on the weapons but the individuals. We are confirming that it is the gun that is bad not the person. With all of today's
modern surveillance I cannot believe that the police have to trace back a gun to solve crimes.

I believe this self enforcement may be used against us in the future and lead to gun registration which leads to confiscation.

Why don't we focus on a free on line data base were we type in the name and DL of the buyer and if he is a felon he will be rejected, don't even give the guns serial numbers.

just my 2 cents

#542693 - 05/30/13 01:28 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: thabigo]
SeaCoaster Offline
seacoaster

Loc: Va.
City or County: Oakton
Originally Posted By: thabigo
Yea I was reading the Maryland Code and it states...
"Private firearms sellers (persons who are not licensed dealers) must process transfers1 of “regulated firearms” (handguns and assault weapons)2 through a licensed dealer or designated law enforcement agency.3 In addition, no regulated firearm transfers may be made to any person whom the private seller knows or has a reasonable cause to believe is a prohibited purchaser under state law."

"Private sales of standard rifles and shotguns are not required to be processed through a licensed dealer, and purchasers are not subject to background checks."

So I guess Standard Rifles and Shotties are OK.

But Realistically. If you do get that purchasers information and Verify with DL, what is the difference if they are from MD or VA. You have there information and a Signed Bill of SALE. That should cover your butt regardless.

IF you read the Bill of Sale that they are signing it States " CAN Lawfully Receive, possess, ship or transport a firearm."
I guess if I were to add "CAN Legally Purchase Firearm In the STATE OF Maryland"

That would be extra butt coverage.

Buying a shotgun from a private seller is ok in Maryland ?

Without FFL ?

#543940 - 06/01/13 08:30 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: Leehubb]
gunman33 Offline
Pea shooter

So what would happened to you if you said I don't have a bill of sale ?
Nothing unless you were involved in trafficking guns...

If you sold a hunting Knife and it was used in a crime in NY what would the cops do ?

#543941 - 06/01/13 08:31 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: thabigo]
gunman33 Offline
Pea shooter

So what would happened to you if you said I don't have a bill of sale ?

Edited by gunman33 (08/10/13 08:13 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >