Who's Online
10 registered (Multipurpose1, powderfinger37, Blackeagle223, Jaycobb, Waterspreader20, MTAlex, 4 invisible), 15 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#543942 - 06/01/13 08:33 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: bayrunner]
gunman33 Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: va
City or County: richmond
guns are just objects, cops have to prove you had a motive and means
to commit a crime not just a gun you once owned.

many Sheeple are scared to be free.

#544430 - 06/02/13 07:36 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

Loc: Richmond west end
City or County: Henrico
If evidence in a crime is linked to you, you will be a person of interest in the investigation. A bill of sale will allow you to avoid that quickly and easily.

Just as it would if a gun was stolen from you and you reported it to the police.

Stolen and you didn't report it?? Hmmmm, would you come down to the station so we can talk?

Edited by TMVA (06/02/13 07:39 PM)
Psalm 22:11

#551680 - 06/15/13 04:11 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
gijoep Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: VA, USA
City or County: McLean
Very helpful! Thanks!

#552547 - 06/17/13 12:46 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: TMVA]
Messy closet Offline
Marksman

Loc: Fairfax, Virginia
City or County: Fairfax

Stolen and you didn't report it?? Hmmmm, would you come down to the station so we can talk? [/quote]

Best answer: No, I exert my 5Th. Amendment RIGHT under the United States Constitution and legally I'm under no obligation to assist you in any investigation regardless of the nature of that investigation.
By the way I have nothing further to say as I really don't trust law enforcement anymore than other types of street thugs.

Also total B.S. : If you sell a gun and it shows up at a crime scene the police are going to want answers.
Newsflash: You don't owe them "answers" and are under NO legal obligation to ever talk to law enforcement. They have been slowly conditioning the American people to believe you must answer their questions. This happens at DWI checkpoints and routine traffic stops with the "have you been drinking", "where are you headed", "where are you coming from" and my personal favorite, "is there anything in the vehicle I need to know about". Smile and say NOTHING, unless you are in the mood to say, I exert my 5Th amendment RIGHT to remain silent. I'm amazed that so called PRO-constitution, second amendment loving folks seem to stop at the second amendment and waive the 4Th & 5h routinely in the interest of cooperating with Law enforcement. Law enforcement is not making a social call when they stop you. Time to wise up folks and stop spreading all this B.S. about the need to voluntarily create a GUN REGISTRATION system among ourselves with BOS forms. We fight against registration but then form our own system. Really stupid and counter productive. I have got a few BOS before I really thought this through and I'm shredding them.

#557812 - 06/27/13 07:55 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: Messy closet]
gunman33 Offline
Pea shooter

good point messy closet, I fully agree.

#564404 - 07/11/13 01:34 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
SST790 Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: SST790
City or County: Suffolk
EDIT: just stopping by.

Edited by SST790 (07/11/13 03:12 PM)

#573144 - 07/28/13 05:31 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
hlh Offline
Marksman

Loc: VA
City or County: Richmond
Anyone who posts they require BOS will cause me to ignore their add(s) on this board and not buy from them. Why? Because it's not required by law. If they post that they require ID to be shown I'll gladly oblige, and I'll extend the same courtesy to those who buy from me.

#573561 - 07/29/13 04:33 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
40fan Offline
sic semper tyrannis

City or County: NOVA & Valley
Im not sure what the big deal is, but everyone hs their preferences. I know I want a bos for civil & legal purposes when selling similar to a car. And for moral purposes a non-felon card.

If they dont want to give an address Id be happy with a DL#. But I dont give out my address on my sales because I dont see the need. But I will let them varify my name & state of residence.

Edited by 40fan (07/29/13 05:22 PM)

#575573 - 08/02/13 11:20 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: nk02442]
Elder Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Chesterfield
To my knowledge, in Virginia, only common intelligence dictates that you do personal paperwork. There is no law that I know of that demands you do this or that a person shows an ID to a personal seller. There are Federal laws that demand IDs for people who are FFL Dealers.
This is to cover yourself in more ways than one.
If a person uses the firearm in an unsafe manner and wants to hold you responsible claiming the item was defective you would have their signiture on an "as is" and "disclaimer" statement.
If they are buying illegal you have a signed document showing they lied to you.
You will have a record of where the item went.
One simple mistake and you may never be able to ever own a firearm again.
This may not seem like much now but when you are in Federal Court facing 5 years in prison you will be glad you kept good records.

#580841 - 08/12/13 07:38 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
hlh Offline
Marksman

City or County: Richmond
"Common Intelligence", there's no such thing... :-)

Who do we want to protect? The buyer or the seller? And then there's the real elephant in the room that nobody really wants to talk about and the real benefit of this site...

Edited by hlh (08/12/13 08:23 PM)

#586250 - 08/23/13 02:13 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
LongRanger Offline
Bolt action

City or County: Palmyra
I know I'm way late to the party but with the availability of almost better than real IDs being sold via the internet if a crook wants to buy a gun he's going to be successful no matter what ID you ask for, most people don't even know what a CCW looks like anyway. Since the Virginia Private Sales Laws are clear and don't require any ID for a private sale there's no law for the seller to be prosecuted with. If you a requiring ID for a sale you're just kidding yourself if you think you are doing a good job of CYA.

My feelings are if people continue to insist on enforcing laws that aren't even on the books we might as well give up the private sales RIGHT too. I will never understand why we fight so hard every election cycle to keep our 2nd amendment rights only to not exercise those very same rights. We are just making it easier for the other side to say why not require background checks for private sales, most people are all but doing it already and that's why I figure we have about 5 years left to enjoy what's left of our 2nd amendment rights. In a manner of speaking we are giving them the ammunition to shoot us with! I guess I just grew up at a much different time, not so long ago a dealer required less proof of Identity than some of you guy's do for a private sale today. Just my $0.02 worth. BTW I will only supply my private information to a FFL dealer and I do that begrudgingly.

#586929 - 08/24/13 08:37 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: LongRanger]
Love45ACP Offline
Former Marine Sniper/One Shot One kill

Loc: Chesapeake/Virginia Beach Area
City or County: Chesapeake/virginia Beach area
I did a bill of sale some years back.Guy came back 1 year to the day while I was out of country working and got caught burlerizing my home.when police contacted me they said he had a bill of sale from a firearm I sold him a year earlier when he was in the navy.Police told my wife your husband was stupid for putting his address on a bill of sale for a private sales transfere of a firearm.
Originally Posted By: LongRanger
I know I'm way late to the party but with the availability of almost better than real IDs being sold via the internet if a crook wants to buy a gun he's going to be successful no matter what ID you ask for, most people don't even know what a CCW looks like anyway. Since the Virginia Private Sales Laws are clear and don't require any ID for a private sale there's no law for the seller to be prosecuted with. If you a requiring ID for a sale you're just kidding yourself if you think you are doing a good job of CYA.

My feelings are if people continue to insist on enforcing laws that aren't even on the books we might as well give up the private sales RIGHT too. I will never understand why we fight so hard every election cycle to keep our 2nd amendment rights only to not exercise those very same rights. We are just making it easier for the other side to say why not require background checks for private sales, most people are all but doing it already and that's why I figure we have about 5 years left to enjoy what's left of our 2nd amendment rights. In a manner of speaking we are giving them the ammunition to shoot us with! I guess I just grew up at a much different time, not so long ago a dealer required less proof of Identity than some of you guy's do for a private sale today. Just my $0.02 worth. BTW I will only supply my private information to a FFL dealer and I do that begrudgingly.

Edited by Love45ACP (08/24/13 08:38 PM)

#588571 - 08/28/13 05:30 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: LongRanger]
gunman33 Offline
Pea shooter

I agree 100 percent with LongRanger

#600544 - 09/22/13 03:08 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
LongRanger Offline
Bolt action

City or County: Palmyra
Can you say conundrum? Now that the Governor has decided to restore the voting rights of Non-Violent Felons. Will you folks that don't understand the Private Gun Sales Laws in Virginia still accept a Voter card as proof that a person has a legal right to purchase a firearm? Remember we are talking convicted felons with no right to purchase or possess a firearm but will have a Voter Card now, just when you thought you had a fool proof method to enforce a non-existing law he goes and pulls this? the nerve of that guy. Don't get me wrong I'm all for a bill of sale as long as it only has my name on it, no I won't give you my address, no I won't give you my Drivers license number, just my name, believe me when I say, if the government wants me they know exactly where I am and probably everything I post here and on many other forums, where I go and who I talk to.

I refuse to stop beating this dead horse until I at least convince those of you that want to play gun dealer stop mucking up all the work our Pro Second amendment group fights for in Richmond constantly. This new development kinda changes things a bit. As for concealed carry permits just remember less than a quarter of legal handgun owners have one according to the Virginia Bureau of vital statistics. So remember this when you go to sell your firearm and can't because you have excluded 3/4s of the people that are legally able to buy and own a firearm.

Personally I could care less because I have all the guns I will ever need but I still support the local 2nd Amendment Lobbying group, the NRA and am the co-founder and past Chairman of our local Tea Party (OMG he's one of them). I just can't find it in me to keep my big mouth shut when it comes to handing over my hard fought rights to people that just don't understand what Freedom used to look like in this country. All I ask is you think about this when the Government comes a knocking to collect your guns, after all you gave them your address! One last thing. A few posts up I read something about asking for a "Non-Felon" card. Just what the heck is that and how do you get one. Okay I'm done for now...

Edited by LongRanger (09/22/13 05:01 PM)

#612244 - 10/16/13 01:49 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: Messy closet]
highlandscot Offline
Does not suffer fools

Loc: New Kent
City or County: New Kent County
Actually the 5th Amendment protects you from incriminating yourself - does not protect you from the requirement not to hinder an investigation. The actual words in the Constitution do matter - so be sure you understand what it says before spreading well-meaning beliefs to others as facts smile A BoS just protects the seller - if you dont want to sign one go buy from someone who is not exercising their free will to demand one. I would never sell a firearm without a BoS.
FFL/SOT GCA & NFA - Transfers by appointment only

#612245 - 10/16/13 01:51 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: LongRanger]
highlandscot Offline
Does not suffer fools

Loc: New Kent
City or County: New Kent County
A voter card does not show legal right to own - it shows legal residency in Virginia. You can get a drivers license with duel state residency, but only get a voter card in your actual state of domicile or residency. Has nothing to do with a criminal background or not.

Edited by highlandscot (10/16/13 02:04 PM)
FFL/SOT GCA & NFA - Transfers by appointment only

#616402 - 10/25/13 08:06 AM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
scythefwd Offline
Pea Shooter

Loc: KS
City or County: Lenexa
actually the 5th is protection against self incrimination, they wont ask you to come to the station, they will arrest you and take you to the station... Your 5th still applies, you are not required to answer anything.. but it pleading the 5th wont stop you from a trip to the station.

#619100 - 10/30/13 05:04 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
handgun man Offline
Handgun Man

Loc: Emporia, VA
City or County: Emporia
I need a bill of sale form for a transaction tomorrow. There used to be a link on here, but I can't find it. I always try to keep a blank one on hand, but I can't find one.

Can anybody help asap???

Thanks.

#619194 - 10/30/13 08:10 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
its at the top of this page, the first post

#620688 - 11/02/13 05:29 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
Mountain55 Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Va.
City or County: Radford
I've bought and sold guns for 40 yrs. and the only paper work I ever had was from a FFL a dealer. You people are running scared and giving up your freedom.

#622583 - 11/06/13 01:11 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
DougN Offline
Certified Lurker

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
City or County: Chesterfield
Just showing your license or voter card has your address, anyone can remember most of it and along with knowing your vehicle, find out where you live. So signing a BOS really isn't putting you in a tougher spot. You cant trust anyone, sometimes not even people in your own house. BOS if im selling for sure if i am linked to it in any form.

#643524 - 12/16/13 08:30 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: UBETRUN]
bobdwilliams Offline
is it supposed to smoke like that?

Loc: Va, Prince William
City or County: Woodbirdge
Originally Posted By: UBETRUN
Originally Posted By: Leehubb
I now have first hand experience with Firearm Bill of Sale. Received a call yesterday from local office of ATF office in Norfolk. I had sold a handgun to and individual from VA a few months ago and we prepaired a Bill of Sale. As it turns out, this firearm ended up in New York and the agent was tracing the sale and disposition. I had all info and even Faxed him a copy of Bill of Sale. Sure glad I had it. Be careful guys. You never know when you will get a trace call.

And what would have happened if you didn't have the Bill of Sale?

That is correct, nothing will happen, as of today.

#643527 - 12/16/13 08:33 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
bobdwilliams Offline
is it supposed to smoke like that?

Loc: Va, Prince William
City or County: Woodbirdge
I have sold, traded a lot of stuff without bill of sale. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get one....I guess....who knows what might happen in VA these days. I didn't know we had so many Dems in Va?

#657788 - 01/11/14 06:03 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
his1RowdyRed Offline
Marksman

City or County: Mechanicsville
thanks for making this available! I'm making my first sale as a newbie and printed the BOS form. Thanks again VAGT!
Awesome well run site!

#669822 - 01/31/14 12:27 PM Re: BILL OF SALE -- PROTECT YOURSELF [Re: VaGunTrader]
Randblitka Offline
BAMF

Loc: Danville, Virginia
City or County: Danville
Thanks for posting this... I use this form for all of my transactions.

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing" - Edmund Burke

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >