Who's Online
12 registered (yung_madlife, Hazey, VA_SHAKA, helmsgp, Handgunner00, Zach17981, Pfl13, Dhoard21, DanLfortheW, readytohunt, 2 invisible), 12 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1450138 - 01/26/19 12:33 PM MAK 90 questions
BigHog Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Stafford, VA
City or County: Stafford
There are many sites out there for information on the MAK 90. All the ones I have read, said the MAK 90 did not come with a threaded barrel. The MAK 90 I picked up in a trade, has a threaded barrel. Not just the end of the barrel past the hooded site, but the entire barrel. Does that mean someone installed an after market barrel? If so, is it not as desirable and not as good as the original barrel? Additionally, she has the double hook fire control group. stamped on the side it shows Norinco and above the Made in China is etched with C&A VA BCH VA.

I'd appreciate any information on it and if there is a website on the fully threaded barrel, please post it. I will try to post photos later.

Thanks,
BH

Attachments
IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

Edited by BigHog (01/26/19 12:37 PM)

#1450140 - 01/26/19 12:42 PM Re: MAK 90 questions [Re: BigHog]
halo Offline
COLLECTOR

Loc: chesterfield va
City or County: n .chesterfield
Many MAK 90s and 91s were threaded after import to accept various flash hider ,muzzle brakes in the USA. Possibly a custom job by previous owners. If I am not mistaken ,any muzzle device at time of import would have prevented rifle from importation per Clinton area import restrictions. Also look for NORINCO markings on barrel .Could be under gas block .AK FORUM has had good info MAKS in the past. Best Wishes ,and good shooting!

#1450143 - 01/26/19 12:50 PM Re: MAK 90 questions [Re: BigHog]
halo Offline
COLLECTOR

Looking at barrel picture ,not sure that is a thread pitch down that far. Remember the Chinese were interested in internal barrel performance ,not aesthetics .Looks very similar to barrel profile of my MAK 91. It possible that the barrel blanks were just a rehash of arsenal parts. Although I know it appears to mesh with muzzle thread pitch.

#1450144 - 01/26/19 12:53 PM Re: MAK 90 questions [Re: BigHog]
halo Offline
COLLECTOR

TAPCO trigger is surely an aftermarket change .Some MAK triggers were very good ,others very gritty.

#1461703 - 02/23/19 08:23 AM Re: MAK 90 questions [Re: BigHog]
vatopa Offline
Double barrel

Loc: virginia beach
City or County: virginia beach
The Mak-90 was imported after the BUSH ban of 1989. This banned a bunch of random parts on a rifle.

Here is a link to a good worksheet for compliance
[url=gohttp://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyComplianceod][url=gohttp://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyComplianceod][url=gohttp://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyComplianceod]gohttp://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyComplianceod[/url][/url][/url]

The Mak-90 was imported until Clinton banned all china made arms under an embargo. I believe this was in 1996.

The assault weapon ban from 1994 that expired has nothing to do with the mak-90. Except in some state that may still have this ban in place.

Now for this rifle. The barrel is just bad machining on the barrel, the threads are from turning down the barrel, as stated above appearance was not valued.

Yes aftermarket threading and the changing of triggers, stocks, etc are legal as long as they are USA made parts and you comply with 922R.

The threaded barrel, Very few of the first MAK's after the ban made it into the country with a threaded barrel and a barrel nut welded on, which was easily ground back off, and legal to do so after the 94 assault weapon ban expired. OR someone could have had this done.

The important thing for MAK-90's is to make sure you are in compliance with 922R regulations.

This is my take on the MAK.

#1471229 - 03/16/19 02:41 PM Re: MAK 90 questions [Re: BigHog]
Mosby63 Offline
OEF-OIF

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Prince William County