Who's Online
23 registered (Cinead, Pfl13, Madmike4510, Zach17981, John92, Dynarider84, ChanceB2, Capt_Mayhem, tommyhof, dana_bp, Becktboi, Monkeywrench677, Gnome, RWCB, Kip30, XX44075, thesug28, Ramsey, big_lu_lu, 4 invisible), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#467635 - 01/31/13 05:32 AM New River Valley VAGT tribesmen?
Adam Lee Offline
Idiot Savant

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Alexandria
Folks,

I am interested in knowing how many VAGT members hail from any of the four counties that make up the NRV area. Since this regional forum is listed for Christiansburg/Roanoke, figured this would be the right place to find out.

Specifically, any members located in the counties Giles, Montgomery, Pulaski, or Floyd?

I am a NOVA member from Alexandria. Spent 4 years in '82-'86 in Blacksburg, graduated VPI '86. Now my wife and I are considering moving back to the NRV area, since we can't stand the political/human/metro crap too much anymore.

Thoughts?

thanks. Adam

#467708 - 01/31/13 09:04 AM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
oSPANNERo Offline
Bolt action

Loc: VA
City or County: Roanoke
My wife and I just moved down to Blacksburg from Boston back in July for a change in lifestyle. I was at tech from 97->00 and it still feels like the same old Blacksburg. (In a good way.)

#467828 - 01/31/13 12:44 PM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
rlnthndr Offline
Double barrel

Loc: SML
City or County: SML
That area has grown a bit over the last 8 years. I have had job offers up in that Nova area, but refuse to go that direction.

As for thoughts it really depends on what you are looking for. I have been looking to move to an area in that has a bigger job base and more for my family to be involved in but less public ranges, different firearm laws(yes another state), etc... so there are trade offs.

I am not trying to get personal but some info of what you would be looking for like hobbies, etc.. could help.

#467850 - 01/31/13 01:37 PM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
Quinn74 Offline
Addicted

Loc: Middleburg/Richmond, VA
City or County: Middleburg/Richmond
I am going to be starting medical school (vcom) in august. So I will be locked down in the NRV (most likely in a dark room with a book and a cadavear)for a minimum of 2 years, but more likely 4. I am starting to look for housing. If anyone has any leads on either a small house/apt/place to shoot I would really like to hear from you. As for getting away from NoVA, after working 2 years in DC and having a 40-180min commute depending on traffic, each way, 4 days a week, I am very excited to leave that mess behind.

#467917 - 01/31/13 03:33 PM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
oSPANNERo Offline
Bolt action

Loc: VA
City or County: Roanoke
@Quinn: My wife is a GI Doc over at Lewis Gale Montgomery and is taking residents in the spring so you may see her if she gets brought in to guest lecture in a class.

As far as a range, there is a free outdoor one: http://www.botos.com/david/guns/bburgrange/

Small house/apt is a bit out of my area of expertise but I can keep an eye open. In the meantime may I suggest: http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/apa/

Edited by oSPANNERo (01/31/13 03:34 PM)

#468025 - 01/31/13 06:00 PM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
J Cerna Offline
Bolt action

City or County: Stafford
Been a resident of blacksburg for around 8 years total now. For just over 3 years('08-mid '11), I left Blacksburg to go work up in D.C. and Arlington for cleared contractor work. I hated every second I lived up there.

Edited by J Cerna (01/31/13 06:02 PM)

#468136 - 01/31/13 08:16 PM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
Jonathan309 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Va
City or County: Christiansburg
I lived in christiansburg since I was a kid. I love it here but I don't have anything else to compare it to. I would rather live in christiansburg than Blacksburg though.

#469064 - 02/02/13 08:53 AM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
49ER Offline
Boise State University Alumnus

Loc: Virginia, Montgomery
City or County: Christiansburg
Moved to Virginia ( Christiansburg )in the fall of 2010 transplant from Idaho, now working @ Tech.

Wisdom does not come with age. It`s just that as you get older you become less physically capable of acting stupid.

#473295 - 02/07/13 08:47 PM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
GudOlBoy Offline
HAIR MISSILE

Loc: Blacksburg
City or County: Montgomery
Blacksburg here, well the county outside Blacksburg. Grew up just over the mountain in Newport. This area is hard to beat. Lots of stuff to do if you're into the outdoors. Hiking, fishing (New River Smallmouth is some of the best fishing in the state), hunting, ect. As mentioned there's a public range just outside of Blacksburg. Although I've seen some gun handling practices there that made me fear for my life. Finally gave up on it for the IWLA club in Cburg. Well worth the membership fee.
l_--l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)__

#498708 - 03/15/13 05:27 AM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
Otzi Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Virginia,USA
City or County: Blacksburg
Ive been in Blacksburb since 1985. have spent time in several other states but i have allways come back befor long. the public range is free. 100 or so yards, but to many guys bring there girlfreinds who dont even know what a gun does. some one mentioned unsafe fire arm handling and its the truth. its not so bad once the students leave but during the winter i'd say go at your own risk. otherwise, plenty to do in the area no matter what your into. beautifull area decent people. the police are a bit power hungry but oh well.

#500374 - 03/17/13 05:51 PM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
Adam Lee Offline
Idiot Savant

City or County: Alexandria
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I am an '86 VPI undergrad, so it's been a few years. Still have a couple good friends who finished school there and never left - which is part of our "push" to get back where the people aren't like the Mall scene in Dawn of The Dead (1977 version, of course!)

My "range" back in those days, '82-'86, was an abandoned coal pile way out down Prices Fork somewhere.

Took care of my share of obliterating old TV sets and discarded stuffed animals back then, I must say!

Adam

#1335505 - 03/27/18 10:23 AM Re: New River Valley VAGT tribesmen? [Re: Adam Lee]
docmarten Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: va
City or County: roanoke
Every time we hit the blacksburg range, we have someone watch everyone else to try to avoid being aerated. Most of the time people are safe... there's usually a cop up there on the weekends.