Who's Online
11 registered (CoolLogic, adv_rider, PIConnection, PMOORE, drew15, corb56, 5 invisible), 19 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1608273 - 03/17/20 09:44 PM A dumb question on synthetic stocks
AStrayToaster Offline
Single barrel

Loc: PG
City or County: PG
Good evening,

I purchased a quite nice (IMO) Mosin Nagant with a synthetic Monte Carlo (I think) stock. It's lighter weight than my traditional wooden stock MN, as as such, the recoil is a tad rougher for my light frame.
It feels perhaps hollow inside, and I was wondering if the butt plate would be removed, and the inside filled with something (shredded rubber, perhaps?) to dampen the recoil.
The butt plate has two tiny holes, one on top, and one on bottom which I assume are screw holes, but I could be wrong.

The stock looks very much like this one here:
https://vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1596246/Searchpage/1/Main/363448/Words/54r/Search/true/Re:_7.62x54R_FS/FT#Post1596246

Cheers

#1608985 - 03/19/20 03:24 PM Re: A dumb question on synthetic stocks [Re: AStrayToaster]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

Loc: VA, USA
City or County: Fairfax
Greetings.

I have a couple of those.

I don't find the recoil to be too unpleasant and I'm about 5'6 and 135.

You could try adding stuff inside the buttstock, I haven't done that on mine but that's because one of mine with a monte is super long and the shorter one has a muzzle brake on it (buddy threaded it at his shop)

I've heard people using sand and maybe double bag it and see.

Are you shooting the regular mil-surp or 148-150ish grain Tula/Wolf stuff?

"To conquer a nation you must first disarms the citizens" --Adolf Hitler 1933

"Write it down and remember that we never gave in." - Immortal Technique

"Fight fire with water." Me

#1608986 - 03/19/20 03:32 PM Re: A dumb question on synthetic stocks [Re: AStrayToaster]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

Also I'm wondering if the longer length of pull is making it a little more awkward for you to mount the rifle compared to the shorter lop on the wood.

You could always throw the bayonet back on to help reduce felt recoil but will have to rezero.

Mine all have the scout scope mount on the rear sight so that's a little more weight right there too.

#1609141 - 03/19/20 09:07 PM Re: A dumb question on synthetic stocks [Re: Ali]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
Originally Posted By: Ali
Also I'm wondering if the longer length of pull is making it a little more awkward for you to mount the rifle compared to the shorter lop on the wood.

You could always throw the bayonet back on to help reduce felt recoil but will have to rezero.

Mine all have the scout scope mount on the rear sight so that's a little more weight right there too.

What scout scope mount di you go with? I'm thinking about doing that.

#1609149 - 03/19/20 09:30 PM Re: A dumb question on synthetic stocks [Re: AStrayToaster]
JustOneMore754 Offline
Marksman

Loc: Haymarket
City or County: Prince William
I can’t say much about filling the stock but I bought a 1” rubber butt pad years ago off amazon ( AIM Sports Mosin Nagant 1-Inch Extended Recoil Buttpad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VPEBH4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wXbDEbE0MBSD2 ) and it did well. There might be a better solution by now but for $10 you can’t really beat it.

I can always be tempted by:
- SPAS-12 with a folding stock
- Shooter grade Luger
- Schofield reproduction
- S&W 586 with a 4” barrel

#1609258 - 03/20/20 08:58 AM Re: A dumb question on synthetic stocks [Re: AStrayToaster]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

I think it was the AIM setup, which is a 2x7 scope. At 7 power with my eyes 100 yards is still doable with that long eye relief scope. My eyes + the iron sight system of the aks and 54R stuff really do a dis-service to what the firearm and ammo "can" do.

Won't break out the 7n1 till I put up some consistent and decent groups with the cheapo stuff first.

#1609495 - 03/20/20 06:07 PM Re: A dumb question on synthetic stocks [Re: AStrayToaster]
AStrayToaster Offline
Single barrel

Loc: PG
City or County: PG
Well, as long as the butt plate can be removed, I can fill the stock with...something (hell, even old socks would be an improvement) so good to know it can be done.

I have the 2x7 AIM scope as well on my MN, and I need to figure out how to adjust it (1st time ever having a gun with a scope) as at 50 yards, aimed at the center of the target, it hits the bottom of the target (though quite reliably with a tight grouping!)

#1609978 - 03/21/20 06:30 PM Re: A dumb question on synthetic stocks [Re: AStrayToaster]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

A Stray....you shoot at Elite at all?

If so LMK maybe we can play at the 100 yard.

You too Mark if you wanna try the AIM 2-7x.