Who's Online
15 registered (MKC1911, TonyAR308, Ocarey, FastEddy, Forest393, Schmit, rollon, trailertrash, Justin94, 6 invisible), 6 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1755219 - 04/17/21 09:59 PM Need insight for shipping firearms to a family member
Shooter Offline
Slingin' lead

Loc: Prince William
City or County: Manassas
My brother moved out of state a few years ago. He left some guns in my care. Now he wants me to ship them to him. Anyone have experience in shipping a handgun and a rifle, and not being an FFL?

#1755239 - 04/17/21 11:18 PM Re: Need insight for shipping firearms to a family member [Re: Shooter]
Breadman Offline
Full Auto

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Tappahannock
Gander Outdoors in Fredericksburg charges a $30 flat fee to ship to a FFL. I had them ship to a FFL in Pennsylvania a couple of weeks ago. I don’t think you will beat that price.

#1755360 - 04/18/21 12:07 PM Re: Need insight for shipping firearms to a family member [Re: Shooter]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
If they are his already and not part of a transaction, I’m pretty sure you can ship it directly

#1755404 - 04/18/21 01:50 PM Re: Need insight for shipping firearms to a family member [Re: Shooter]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
The rifles are pretty straightforward, the handguns are tricky.
They are his rifles, so he can mail them to himself in another state. That is okay by federal law, state and local law may differ.
The problem with handguns comes up because a non licensed person may not use the postal service to ship anything other than a rifle or shotgun. UPS and Fed Ex internal regulations say that you cannot ship a firearms to anybody other than an FFL.
So, you can box up the rifles and shotguns, with your brother's name as the sender and the recipient, and legally mail them.

Quote:
6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1755405 - 04/18/21 01:51 PM Re: Need insight for shipping firearms to a family member [Re: ChrisC]
Shooter Offline
Slingin' lead

Originally Posted By: ChrisC
If they are his already and not part of a transaction, I’m pretty sure you can ship it directly

That's what I was thinking, but when I contact FedEx, UPS & USPS, first words they say is contact an FFL. Didn't hunters used to mail their rifles to outfitters for hunts? I know you can check them when you fly, but risk them not showing up in time/in a condition to hunt.

#1755407 - 04/18/21 01:54 PM Re: Need insight for shipping firearms to a family member [Re: rromeo]
Shooter Offline
Slingin' lead

Originally Posted By: rromeo
The rifles are pretty straightforward, the handguns are tricky.
They are his rifles, so he can mail them to himself in another state. That is okay by federal law, state and local law may differ.
The problem with handguns comes up because a non licensed person may not use the postal service to ship anything other than a rifle or shotgun. UPS and Fed Ex internal regulations say that you cannot ship a firearms to anybody other than an FFL.
So, you can box up the rifles and shotguns, with your brother's name as the sender and the recipient, and legally mail them.

Quote:
6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

Thank you!

#1755409 - 04/18/21 01:56 PM Re: Need insight for shipping firearms to a family member [Re: Shooter]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
And your local post office employees may have different opinions, but that doesn't mean it's the law. It pays to try different post offices, especially in your area.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.