Who's Online
19 registered (Eric Pugh, cbradford, Tylerjb4, JacobO804, MTRNOVA, JakeBenjis, Andrew_Treadway, SgtSquishySquash, BFUNK, FPS, 9 invisible), 11 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1755656 - 04/19/21 09:17 AM Applied for my ffl!
groovinmonk Offline
Marksman

Loc: Farnham, Va
City or County: Warsaw
Just waiting to schedule an interview. Trying to start my own business and get my ducks in a row. Anybody have advice on how to build a website? Any other advice? Home based ffl and looking to branch into pawnbroker as well.
804-814-0040
www.tanglewoodtradingllc.com
Look us up on Facebook
We buy entire collections and trade nearly anything!

#1755657 - 04/19/21 09:19 AM Re: Applied for my ffl! [Re: groovinmonk]
Gnome Offline
For alt vi har. Og alt vi er.

Loc: Fort Walker, Va.
City or County: Hanover County
Gunbroker is your friend.

#1755686 - 04/19/21 10:12 AM Re: Applied for my ffl! [Re: groovinmonk]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Originally Posted By: groovinmonk
Just waiting to schedule an interview. Trying to start my own business and get my ducks in a row. Anybody have advice on how to build a website? Any other advice? Home based ffl and looking to branch into pawnbroker as well.

Cool...

As for websites... make sure it is user friendly. Bad websites are almost worthless.

Find one you like and pattern it (not gun specific website).

For example, my wife and I make beer and the Northern Brewer website is pretty user-friendly. Substitute Glock 21 for American Anber Ale and tada... you are half way there.

That was just an example. Find a website that you like a lot and have a webbuilder clone it.

Good luck.

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1755725 - 04/19/21 10:53 AM Re: Applied for my ffl! [Re: groovinmonk]
a_s Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Richmond
City or County: Richmond
The majority of small FFLs seem to be portals to whoever they distribute for. Seems to be maybe 3 or 4 different ones. If you are selling more then guns, like accessories, then they look different.

#1755780 - 04/19/21 12:37 PM Re: Applied for my ffl! [Re: groovinmonk]
UBU0550 Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Culpeper
Home based is tough, you are limited on distributors that will work with you, and inventory is almost impossible to purchase right now due to the big boys spending big money taking priority.

Find a niche, look for consignment sales and purchasing used guns.

#1759981 - 05/01/21 11:02 PM Re: Applied for my ffl! [Re: groovinmonk]
Luke9675 Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Chesterfield
Big Commerce is a good hosting site. You can sell from there as well. It will cost you about $30 a month, not including the purchase of your web address, which you can do from them as well. The site builder is pretty straight forward and you can set up payments to be managed by Paypal so you can take credit cards. Many wholesale distributors will not sell to you unless you have an actual brick and mortar address.

#1761128 - 05/05/21 03:39 PM Re: Applied for my ffl! [Re: groovinmonk]
shootergdv Offline
Marksman

Loc: VA
City or County: Rustburg
And don't forget to check locality ordinances/permits . Many places you can be a hairdresser in your home but not a gun dealer.

#1773475 - 06/11/21 10:39 AM Re: Applied for my ffl! [Re: groovinmonk]
GE_Minigun Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia, USA
City or County: Winchester
In a nut shell I wouldn’t do it. Been home based for 8 years and once this license runs out I’m finished. As mentioned you will not be able to get ANY item that’s “hot”…ANY. I’ve purchased maybe 20 guns since I’ve had mine and some of those I found better prices on line than from the distributors. You will be dealing with some nice people and some absolute **I VOTED FOR BIDEN**…believe me. I’ve been lucky in that regard…only had a couple of the later and I told them to not use me again and that if they did I would refuse the shipment…one guy tried to test me…didn’t work out well for him. I’m also lucky in that I have a separate entrance to the house…having strangers walking and “looking” around your house. A lot to think of and unless you have lots of cash, probably won’t make it long…the regulations, taxes, security (both paper work and guns) are nuts. We added the FFL to another business that made sense and does, but it was a perfect storm of why things didn’t work as planned…I can go on and on about why not to get one, but in the end I have no dog in the race. Good luck.

Ronal Reagan (8/11/84)

#1774079 - 06/12/21 11:37 PM Re: Applied for my ffl! [Re: groovinmonk]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Loc: Fredericksburg
City or County: Fredericksburg
How many transfers do you have to do per year to keep your license? Is thr background check the same as buying a gun? I am tired of paying poll taxes and want to get an FFL and do free transfer for people.

#1774692 - 06/14/21 09:41 PM Re: Applied for my ffl! [Re: groovinmonk]
GE_Minigun Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia, USA
City or County: Winchester
0. You only need to show a profit...$1 or $1,000,000, doesn't matter. You also have to get all your ducks in a row...tax number, county approval, state approval, HOA approval (if you live in one), pay quarterly taxes...the whole boat load. Each call in cost you $2 to be paid to the state every month, one call in - $2...100 call in's -$200.

Ronal Reagan (8/11/84)