Who's Online
14 registered (Zaddy3, DATJR, Skywalking, dcarms, reddevil94, dzz, RedBeardOutlaw, cadi86, komet45, Andrew454, wmike24, Tan41, Hobbez84, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1773308 - 06/10/21 08:31 PM Fuel Prep
Ali Offline
Gun fool

Loc: VA, USA
City or County: Fairfax
I'm sure some of this has to do with people's living situation (apt/TH/SFH) but how are you guys setting up for Fuel Prep?

I've got a nato 5.xx gallon can (unfortunately with crap 10% ethanol but stabilizer in it). No smells, no leaks and I let it sit once for 3 years. Came out very yellow but worked ok.

Thought about getting multiple but figure if things got bad I could always siphon add'l from some of my motorcycles.

Admittedly did try the 55 gallon tank thing but that was sketchy in a townhouse garage and figured food/water preps didn't match the overkill 55 gallon thing so aborted that.

A.

"To conquer a nation you must first disarms the citizens" --Adolf Hitler 1933

"Write it down and remember that we never gave in." - Immortal Technique

"Fight fire with water." Me

#1773385 - 06/11/21 06:16 AM Re: Fuel Prep [Re: Ali]
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

Loc: VA
City or County: Lynchburg
Diesel. Buried tank. Hand crank pumps. Anti algae additive.

Edited by Verylargeboots (06/11/21 06:17 AM)

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes

#1773414 - 06/11/21 08:08 AM Re: Fuel Prep [Re: Ali]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

Capacity and/or how much do you think makes sense to store per person/per vehicle?

#1773427 - 06/11/21 08:38 AM Re: Fuel Prep [Re: Ali]
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

City or County: Lynchburg
First I think the question needs to be asked, what are you trying to do? Are you sheltering in place due to the world being on fire, are you planning to get up and run, are we going to eat popcorn and watch Teletubbies in our Spiderman pj's? What's the goal?

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes

#1773537 - 06/11/21 01:41 PM Re: Fuel Prep [Re: Ali]
ChrisC Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Prince William County
City or County: Nokesville
Keep five or six of the racing fuel tanks, they don’t have those stupid environmentally friendly spouts. I fill them up and rotate them in and out of the lawnmower, occasionally putting one in the truck if I need it. Don’t usually have more than two empty at a time, and I stabilize them over the winter. I figured that 30 gallons is enough to completely fill up either one of our vehicles, with some to spare. Can also use it in a portable generator of course.

#1773567 - 06/11/21 02:44 PM Re: Fuel Prep [Re: ChrisC]
jr45 Offline
Full Auto

City or County: Stafford
Originally Posted By: ChrisC
Keep five or six of the racing fuel tanks, they don’t have those stupid environmentally friendly spouts. I fill them up and rotate them in and out of the lawnmower, occasionally putting one in the truck if I need it. Don’t usually have more than two empty at a time, and I stabilize them over the winter. I figured that 30 gallons is enough to completely fill up either one of our vehicles, with some to spare. Can also use it in a portable generator of course.

Same here. 25-30gals plus keep my cars at least half full at any given time. Even with stabilizer, I try to rotate them out every 6-8mo.

#1773631 - 06/11/21 05:37 PM Re: Fuel Prep [Re: Ali]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

I dabbled with some of the 5 gallons VP blue cans but the plastic spout and noticed stronger fuels like MR12 or C16 I could smell indoors so I figured pump gas would eventually stink up the single car garage.

Thought on quantity was primarily enough to run over to another state (NC, WV, etc. And 5 gallons can make it depending on vehicle used and pace riding/driving.

+1 on keeping car and truck 1/2 full as a "low".

#1773645 - 06/11/21 06:45 PM Re: Fuel Prep [Re: Ali]
Jimmm Offline
Ford#1

Loc: Fredericksburg
City or County: Fredericksburg
Just don’t get those new epa spill-prone cans. They are horrible and leak mire than they fill. They are also impossible to use unless you’re a young weight lifter since you have to pick up 5 gallon of fluid one hand at odd angle with your other hand having to press two pressure switches at an even odder angle and at 135 degrees opposite direction of your lifting hand. The bonus is that the nozzle is useless so you can’t butter-finger shakingly into the vehicle’s gas tank opening. All because some donkeys need to make a presentation and dona dew free travels on taxpayers’ dimes. I have to buy used gas tank at yard sales just to steal old cap and pour setup.

And no pressure relief valve so you have a water bed effect and spill gas all over yourself and your car, damaging the paint, wheel, and tire.

#1773764 - 06/12/21 07:01 AM Re: Fuel Prep [Re: Ali]
Ali Offline
Gun fool

I've been sticking with the Nato metal type cans.