Who's Online
18 registered (CrispyPickle, wrickster, GreenArrow08, RedBeardOutlaw, Dynarider84, ZM3L8R, Kevinlee93, guns85, BluSilver, FREDC, RonH, Speedyarms, 6 invisible), 13 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1576363 - 12/29/19 05:06 PM Target shooting near cattle
graybeard Offline
Marksman

Loc: Va
City or County: Fauquier
So I have been looking to buy a place where I could shoot on my own property. I found one place with 32 acres. However, there are cattle (approximately 20 head) on the property next to the one I want to buy.

I grew up hunting on farms with cattle, but never this close in proximity. Will the shooting cause problems for the cattle?

#1576471 - 12/29/19 11:22 PM Re: Target shooting near cattle [Re: graybeard]
v8unleashed Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: nova
City or County: nova
With 32 acres, sounds like you could be hundreds of yards away from the cattle. You may not be their favorite person, but it's certainly not going to be anything that affects them. One neighbor has cows that graze within probably 200 yards of where I shoot on my property, and many of my neighbors shoot nearby on much smaller properties. I've shot within 50 yards of horses, they don't give any indication they're spooked or anxious or that anything is amiss. Don't seem to care one way or the other. Nothing to worry about here.

#1577306 - 01/01/20 02:15 PM Re: Target shooting near cattle [Re: v8unleashed]
graybeard Offline
Marksman

Thanks V8Unleashed- I do have several ways to lay out the range. Wasn’t sure exactly how much of an issue the noise would be for the cattle or what complaints I would get from the farm owner . If I buy the property guess I will find out quick enough.

#1577514 - 01/02/20 07:02 AM Re: Target shooting near cattle [Re: graybeard]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
If you buy it you might want to go over and talk to him. Not that you want or need his permission, but just to introduce yourself and tell him you plan to shoot occasionally on your property so if he hears gunfire there is nothing amiss.

We had snowmobiles at our cabin up north. We had a trail that went thru my property and within 10-15 feet of my house and I used to like to ride at night. But at 3:00AM when a group comes flyin by its pretty loud so I just asked the local club to put out the word that we preferred people went around to the other trail after midnight and it wasn't an issue. We actually had people stop when passing by during the day to introduce themselves and say hello after that, and became friends with many of them.

Edited by Mark S (01/02/20 07:05 AM)

#1577959 - 01/03/20 12:43 PM Re: Target shooting near cattle [Re: graybeard]
graybeard Offline
Marksman

Good point Mark S. And that's a good little adage about how communication can go a long way towards having everyone understand the ground rules. I liked that you went to the local club instead of just throwing a gate across the trail and causing a ton of grief.

I had planned on talking with the owner, to kind of gauge their reception to the idea of a range near his cattle. I gotta believe that with other farm machinery running in the area, such noise wouldn't bother them into a stampede.
If the situation works well, I would want to invite the neighbors to a friendly day of range and cookout fun. Good way to meet folks and build up a "help" list should I need a hand with a chore I can't quite manage myself. Wheelchair and advancing age don't work very well.

#1589185 - 01/31/20 09:31 PM Re: Target shooting near cattle [Re: graybeard]
shootergdv Offline
Marksman

Loc: VA
City or County: Rustburg
Still live on 80 remaining acres of the family farm - we kept over 100 Angus, 40 hogs, and 1400 chickens. All were used to gunfire ! Neighbors had more of the same. Cows are dumber than cockroaches so don't worry about 'em, just make nice with the neighbors and shoot . Get a suppressor if you really want to be quiet.