Who's Online
20 registered (FREDC, Vanvl, Brooke Boy, Dashy392, etrigan420, granbycomet, Colorado, 10Driver, LukefromTx, Bubba26, Shooterguy, Falkov, BillofRights, IQHIGH01, big head, 5 invisible), 7 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1627874 - 04/26/20 12:18 PM Proof of firearms rights - restoration of firearms rights
burns Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Haymarket, VA
City or County: Haymarket
Hi folks,

If you are dealing with an individual in a private sale who does not have CCW permit, but furnishes proof of firearms rights, is there anything to be aware of that could be problematic? This would be a case where the individual has restoration of firearms rights. Does the type of firearm matter in such a case? In such a situation, is it recommended to do an FFL transfer instead of private ftf sale? Thanks!

Burns

#1628488 - 04/27/20 07:16 PM Re: Proof of firearms rights - restoration of firearms rights [Re: burns]
MP3Mogul Offline
VAGT Staff

Loc: Salem, Virginia
City or County: Salem
Documents can be faked very easily... I would have declined any transaction unless it went through an FFL

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
Chesty Puller

#1629101 - 04/28/20 10:03 PM Re: Proof of firearms rights - restoration of firearms rights [Re: burns]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
It’s your item do as you like...

Iirc, less than 5% of the population in VA has a CHP...
Assuming none CHP holders are felons or had their rights restored is sadly laughable.

Just for reference.

I’ve been on this sight longer than most, have completed more than my fair share of deals, and I have yet to show my CHP.

If you got extra legal requirements, please be up front in your ad about what they are.
Same way you want to chose who you deal with, many buyers want that same choice. Don’t waste their time or yours with surprises at the FTF meet..

Just my $0.02.... not claiming you did or didn’t do any of the above

Just wait until July 1, 2020.
The racist baby killer in the governors house and his minions are forcing use all to use a ffl starting on the above date.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1629467 - 04/29/20 07:34 PM Re: Proof of firearms rights - restoration of firearms rights [Re: MP3Mogul]
burns Offline
Double barrel

Originally Posted By: MP3Mogul
Documents can be faked very easily... I would have declined any transaction unless it went through an FFL

Yeah, thanks. This is what make the most sense to me. I have no way to really qualify such a document.

#1629468 - 04/29/20 07:35 PM Re: Proof of firearms rights - restoration of firearms rights [Re: Agent19]
burns Offline
Double barrel

Originally Posted By: Agent19
It’s your item do as you like...

Iirc, less than 5% of the population in VA has a CHP...
Assuming none CHP holders are felons or had their rights restored is sadly laughable.

Just for reference.

I’ve been on this sight longer than most, have completed more than my fair share of deals, and I have yet to show my CHP.

If you got extra legal requirements, please be up front in your ad about what they are.
Same way you want to chose who you deal with, many buyers want that same choice. Don’t waste their time or yours with surprises at the FTF meet..

Just my $0.02.... not claiming you did or didn’t do any of the above

Just wait until July 1, 2020.
The racist baby killer in the governors house and his minions are forcing use all to use a ffl starting on the above date.

Yeah, I agree with the above, best to set terms in advance, only fair way to proceed.

#1629478 - 04/29/20 08:01 PM Re: Proof of firearms rights - restoration of firearms rights [Re: burns]
nvcdl Offline
Bullseye

Loc: ORANGE
City or County: Orange
Originally Posted By: burns
Hi folks,

If you are dealing with an individual in a private sale who does not have CCW permit, but furnishes proof of firearms rights, is there anything to be aware of that could be problematic? This would be a case where the individual has restoration of firearms rights. Does the type of firearm matter in such a case? In such a situation, is it recommended to do an FFL transfer instead of private ftf sale? Thanks!

Burns

there is no requirement to see a CHP or voters ID card

#1633375 - 05/08/20 01:38 AM Re: Proof of firearms rights - restoration of firearms rights [Re: nvcdl]
Seatbelts Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: VA
City or County: Lynchburg
I actually know someone who had their rights restored and he showed me the paperwork he got back from the court.

Its a signed order from a judge, restoring the person's right to own, buy or possess firearms in the state of VA. The way it was explained to me, my buddy's allowed to own any legal firearm made with no restrictions except that he can't use or transport them outside of VA unless he gets prior authorization from the state he wants to go to. He can also apply for a CCW permit, and apparently NFA items (according to John Pierce however he has not applied for any yet)

What my buddy did was make copies of the judgement, and he laminated one to put in his range bag, and one is folded up in his wallet for any police encounters or for buying guns.

If I were you, and he showed me the paper and it listed all the court info, including what judge had issued it, ask for a picture of that and a photo of his ID, and give him a BOS and call it a day.

More then likely someone who is a prohibited person trying to buy a gun isn't going to go to the trouble of faking paperwork, they'll just move on to the next seller who is willing to sell it without any docs.

I have bought a ton of guns in private sales over the years, I'll sign a BOS and show my ID including letting them take a photo, but I don't have a CCW and that's never been a problem.

I will say, that its really up to you what you feel comfortable with as the seller.