Recommend carry case & etiquette for skeet shooting

Posted by: Circusnuts

Recommend carry case & etiquette for skeet shooting - 06/15/21 12:56 PM

Probably a duhhh topic but I just bought a Remington 1100 Skeet model 12 gage & it will be my first trip to the skeet range where I’ve not rented.

Any advice on a carrying case for this kind of shooting & etiquette around the range?

I mean to date they hand me rental at the counter & I go shoot, & have paid zero attention to how everyone who brings rifles does it.

Thanks in advance
Phil
Posted by: Jimmm

Re: Recommend carry case & etiquette for skeet shooting - 06/15/21 06:01 PM

For best affordable case, just get a Plano as well as a long gun carrying rug. For a total of $23 you’ll get triple protections of hard plastic, foam paddings, and soft thick cloth. If you really like the gun and want more protection then silicone gun sock and a tube of grease to keep a thin layer of protection on your metal surface as well as the inside of the barrel. I typically use a small patch to wipe the exterior down with grease and then use that same patch to run through the bore once you have run some CLP to clean the carbon. The lithium grease tube is about $3 and should last a few generations. That is $30 total. Or you can get those fancy padded canvas bag with leather accent for $30-$50 from Cabelas. I would still put that in a Plano hard case, with or without the foam padding. That setup offer kore protection than the $1200 Halliburton metal case they gave us to use. Those fancy case look great at American airport before departure but only dinged up upon arrival. They make great seats and makeshift dinning table though.

And here are the most important etiquettes; no point wearing tweet and sipping on coco while being an buffoon:

1. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FIREARM POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

2. TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS IF THEY WERE LOADED.

3. KEEP YOUR TRIGGER FINGER OUTSIDE THE GUARD AND OFF OF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE.

4. BE CERTAIN OF YOUR TARGET, YOUR LINE OF FIRE, AND WHAT LIES BEYOND YOUR TARGET.

5. ALWAYS WEAR APPROPRIATE EYE AND EAR PROTECTION WHEN SHOOTING AND MAINTAINING YOUR FIREARM.
Posted by: panic788

Re: Recommend carry case & etiquette for skeet shooting - 06/16/21 01:17 AM

I carry an 1100 at bullrun sometimes for sporting clays. It comes to the range in a soft case with a cable lock, mostly because of state troopers on I66. In the parking lot, half in the case, I pull my lock off. Then it is out of the case and without flagging anyone or anything that I am not willing to destroy, aka the back of my vehicle, it goes barrel to the sky, with the action clear and open. That is my preference for carrying as well. Empty, action locked open, and barrel to my shoulder so it's pointed to the sky and anyone can clearly see I am clear and safe. Sporting clays has stands, and I load over the rail pointing down range. Figure it is similar to trap and skeet, but that really isn't my game. Have a good time, and if anyone points out something unsafe, even if you don't think you were doing it, thank them for the heads up, correct as necessary, and have a safe trip.
Posted by: Circusnuts

Re: Recommend carry case & etiquette for skeet shooting - 06/16/21 09:32 AM

This is great stuff thank you!

Yes muzzle discipline for sure (hehe learned that after a boot to the head from range NCO in Army basic training cuckoo