Pistol Suggestion?

Posted by: wildhunter **SCAMMER**

Pistol Suggestion? - 06/25/21 10:49 AM

Hello, I'm a firearm enthusiast and a new member.

I've been considering finally getting a second carry pistol and my number 1 choice is the Sig Sauer Model P226 Legion, but the cost seems to have gone through the roof. They're selling for upwards of $1100 or more, which is just crazy considering I was seeing them for $900, $850 last year, less if you bought used.

I know that a lot of folks panicked and bought guns since last year, but I would have never expected the average Joe would buy a Sig P226 Legion of all things.

It's not just the P226 either, the P229 is all crazy expensive or otherwise completely unavailable right now.

I would have guessed that a lot of panic-buyers bought 9mms and police trade-in .40s, but it looks like many of them must have seen Dirty Harry and decided that if they were going to buy a handgun then they were getting "The most powerful handgun in the world!" at least to the best of their knowledge.

Anyone has a better suggestion of a carry pistol I can afford around the range of $600 - $800? Every suggestion counts.

Thanks
Posted by: Agent19

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 06/25/21 11:15 AM

There are too many quality firearms that fit the bill.

Best is go to a shop with a wide selection or a few shops if need be.
Or borrow guns from friends/family and see what you like.
Posted by: ktyhawk

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 06/25/21 10:22 PM

Since you are considering a 226 Legion, I am guessing you are familiar with the DA/DA decocker setup. For a carry gun, I would say the 226 is a big and heavy gun. I carry one for work and hate the damn thing because it weight a lot. If you are set on a DA/SA set up, check out the CZ P07/09 models. They are also DA/SA but the pistol is a polymer gun, thus much lighter.

If you aren't dead set on a DA/SA gun, there are a zillion striker fired options now. We are living in the best times for compact, high capacity carry guns. Check out the Sig P365, Springfield Hellcat, S&W Shield Plus and even the Glock 43X to name few. I personally like the Canik TP9 SC for its ergonomics, trigger, capacity and price. Your experience will vary. Go to a local range that rents guns and see what best fits your hand and is comfortable to shoot.

Also, the holster you chose is going to make a big difference in how comfortable your carry gun will be. Carrying IWB is different than carrying OWB, especially in the placement on your body of your pistol/pistol.

Good luck! Welcome to VGT.

Posted by: bustedknee

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 06/26/21 07:22 PM

Glock 43!

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 06/28/21 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ktyhawk
Since you are considering a 226 Legion, I am guessing you are familiar with the DA/DA decocker setup. For a carry gun, I would say the 226 is a big and heavy gun. I carry one for work and hate the damn thing because it weight a lot. If you are set on a DA/SA set up, check out the CZ P07/09 models. They are also DA/SA but the pistol is a polymer gun, thus much lighter.

If you aren't dead set on a DA/SA gun, there are a zillion striker fired options now. We are living in the best times for compact, high capacity carry guns. Check out the Sig P365, Springfield Hellcat, S&W Shield Plus and even the Glock 43X to name few. I personally like the Canik TP9 SC for its ergonomics, trigger, capacity and price. Your experience will vary. Go to a local range that rents guns and see what best fits your hand and is comfortable to shoot.

Also, the holster you chose is going to make a big difference in how comfortable your carry gun will be. Carrying IWB is different than carrying OWB, especially in the placement on your body of your pistol/pistol.

Good luck! Welcome to VGT.

Many thanks for the ernlightment, I guess I have to visit the range soon. Whenever I pull the trigger on the choice I make, I will let you know and pist some pictures.

Thanks.

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 06/28/21 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Agent19
There are too many quality firearms that fit the bill.

Best is go to a shop with a wide selection or a few shops if need be.
Or borrow guns from friends/family and see what you like.

@Agent19, I will do just that and I will also visit the range to see what fits and suits me best. Thanks.

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 06/28/21 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: bustedknee
Glock 43!

Thank you, buddy.
Posted by: K31fan

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 06/28/21 09:02 AM

Maybe skip the Legion model. I carried a P226 for a few months and never thought it was heavy or hard to conceal but I did go back to my Glock 17, mostly because it’s more convenient.
Posted by: LaserJock

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 06/28/21 09:55 AM

hmmmmm interesting posts
Posted by: bustedknee

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 07/11/21 09:40 AM

A couple thoughts on "a second gun".

I have a primary carry gun (pic posted above). And several identical backup guns.
Same ammo, same magazines, same sight pictures, same holsters.

I also have alternate carry guns for when the primary gun is not practical, i.e. full-size, high capacity gun for outside the waistband carry or a ultra-lightweight revolver for anckle carry or even a mini-revolver for really discreet carry.

Bottom line: I don't think you can go wrong starting with a duplicate of your existing primary carry gun. Then, think about alternate guns.

Re: Pistol Suggestion? - 07/12/21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: bustedknee
A couple thoughts on "a second gun".

I have a primary carry gun (pic posted above). And several identical backup guns.
Same ammo, same magazines, same sight pictures, same holsters.

I also have alternate carry guns for when the primary gun is not practical, i.e. full-size, high capacity gun for outside the waistband carry or a ultra-lightweight revolver for anckle carry or even a mini-revolver for really discreet carry.

Bottom line: I don't think you can go wrong starting with a duplicate of your existing primary carry gun. Then, think about alternate guns.

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a good thought and come up with something.