HERE COMES GUN CONTROL

Posted by: VaGunTrader

HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/14/14 11:04 AM

Guys....We need to stand up against this!!
We need to let the law makers here in Va know this isn't acceptable!!

Or we can do nothing and let it happen....and will grow worse.

LOBBY DAY - JANUARY 19 2015 - we need to make our stand!!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virg...0beb_story.html

RICHMOND — Gov. Terry McAuliffe on Monday will call for a package of gun restrictions in Virginia, including a renewal of the state’s one-a-month limit on handgun purchases and a requirement that buyers at gun shows undergo background checks.

McAuliffe will also propose keeping guns away from people convicted of crimes related to domestic violence and revoking concealed-handgun permits for parents who are behind on child-support payments.

McAuliffe (D) will unveil his plan during a speech in Arlington County the day after the two-year anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, according to a news release provided to The Washington Post.

While campaigning for governor last year, McAuliffe veered from the playbook of Democrats seeking statewide office, pushing openly for gun control and other liberal causes, including abortion rights and action to mitigate climate change.

Such issues had been off-limits even for many Democrats in the historically conservative state, but McAuliffe capitalized on Virginia’s changing demographics, speaking directly to liberal and moderate voters in the Washington suburbs who helped Democrats sweep last year’s three statewide races.

It will be harder for McAuliffe to persuade the Republican-controlled General Assembly to give up any ground on Second Amendment issues, especially as some fend off challenges from the right. But the governor is betting that the mass shootings at Sandy Hook in Newtown, Conn., and at Virginia Tech in 2007 make it politically toxic for Republicans in more moderate districts to oppose the measures.

“As Governor, there is no greater responsibility than ensuring the health and safety of the citizens I serve,” McAuliffe said in the release. “Our Commonwealth and our nation have seen too many tragedies as a result of dangerous weapons getting into the hands of the wrong people. These common-sense proposals will keep guns out of the hands of criminals, will keep our communities safe, and will help to build a new Virginia economy.”

Shortly after taking office, McAuliffe attempted to shore up his base by amending a GOP-backed handgun bill. The change, which would have required Virginians who store guns in their cars to use “locked” containers, was rejected by House Republicans, and McAuliffe then vetoed the bill.

Monday’s gun-control proposals represent a more methodical approach by the governor, who in May signed a bill sponsored by Sen. Bryce E. Reeves (R-Spotsylvania) allowing gun dealers to use a state police database to see if a gun has been used in a felony before they make a purchase. The law takes effect Jan. 1.

A limit on purchases to one gun per month became law in 1993 under Gov. L. Douglas Wilder (D), but it was repealed during the tenure of Republican Robert F. McDonnell nearly two decades later.

The news release from McAuliffe’s office, which says the governor is a “gun owner and supporter of the Second Amendment,” praises the limit as a way to “prevent dangerous people from stockpiling and trafficking dangerous weapons.”

Gun rights advocates have argued that restricting ownership would not have stopped high-profile Virginia shootings for which mentally ill individuals were responsible, such as the Virginia Tech case and the tragedy that struck Sen. R. Creigh Deeds and his family last year.

After the Bath County Democrat’s son stabbed his father and then fatally shot himself, lawmakers passed a package of bills, which the governor signed, aimed at improving access to mental-health services.

Citing American Journal of Public Health research that the administration says shows that women are much more likely to be killed in domestic-violence situations when a gun is present, McAuliffe would ban anyone subject to a protection-from-abuse order from having a gun.

The ban would also apply to anyone convicted of certain misdemeanors, such as stalking, sexual battery, assault and battery against a family member and brandishing a firearm, as well as anyone with two or more assault and battery convictions.

This measure is intended to eliminate what advocates call a loophole in state law that allows possession of guns by such offenders in Virginia, according to the governor’s office.

McAuliffe would also revoke concealed-handgun permits for parents who are delinquent on child-support payments. There are currently about 9,000 such people, and they owe more than $15 million, the governor’s office said.

Although federally licensed firearms dealers must conduct background checks before selling a firearm, private vendors face no such requirement, giving criminals what McAuliffe’s office calls “an easy avenue” to buy guns at gun shows.

In a separate provision, McAuliffe would give Virginia State Police the authority to process voluntary background check requests when submitted to them by private vendors. In his budget address Wednesday, he will set aside $100,000 to pay for state police to attend the shows.

He would also prohibit gun shows from advertising their exclusion from the background check law in hope of discouraging criminals from buying guns this way.

“These are responsible policies that will benefit Virginia’s neighborhoods and families and will create safer environments for our law enforcement officials,” Brian Moran, McAuliffe’s secretary of public safety, said in the statement. “By implementing these common-sense measures, Virginia can lead the way on curbing gun violence and can prevent dangerous individuals from illegally obtaining firearms.”
Posted by: num1fordfan

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/14/14 11:31 AM

mcawful was backed by the clintons and bloomberg ... knew he would try for this crap
Posted by: _WD_

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/14/14 01:35 PM

I'm not supprised.
Posted by: Fenton1

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/14/14 08:31 PM

Crappy thing is he doesn't care what we think or want. He dose not care about right or wrong. He can't run for Govener again. Let's be as vocal as possible with our state house and senate members. Tell them they lose their jobs for attacking the 2 nd amendment or any other right protected ( not granted ) by the constitution.

I won't be in state for lobby day but will write, email, and call.
Posted by: RJ32

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/14/14 11:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this, VGTrader. I hadn't heard about this. I'm not surprised by it though just sad to see it.
Posted by: RJ32

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/14/14 11:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this, VGTrader. I hadn't heard about this. I'm not surprised by it though just sad to see it. None of this will stop one crime.
Posted by: IQHIGH01

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/14/14 11:15 PM

He was bought and delivered by Bloomberg to meddle in Virginia. A carpetbagger from NY who doesn't understand Virginia.
Posted by: Paratus

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: IQHIGH01
He was bought and delivered by Bloomberg to meddle in Virginia. A carpetbagger from NY who doesn't understand Virginia.

Carpetbagger is an excellent description. I'm happy to see someone else here recognizes what this guy really is. Oh, I surmise that he was also brought here to facilitate Hillary to the WH.
Whenever I see the words, "common sense measures" I recognize them as code for deprivation of rights and freedoms. None of these will solve the problem of a reduction in violent crime the country has been seeing over the past years (yes- sarcasm). The Dem party works best when their servants (us) are in friction with each other. The friction allows the statists to continue with their shenanigans. Much like a magic trick the viewer is enjoined to look one place while the mischief is performed elsewhere. By politicizing the Sandy Hook thing the dirty Dems look to distract us, again I might add, by the emotion of the moment and entice us to relinquish our rights.
I will be contacting my state rep to advise him to oppose any statist measures by McAuliffe. I can't believe that this moron got elected here, much like I can't believe how Warner prevailed. Personally I believe the latter stole the election and would not be surprised if Fast Terry did the same. This, however, is another matter. The war begins folks. These vermin are keeping up the efforts to reduce our freedoms, see the proposal to remove CC from those behind on child support (the government creates the environment leading to a horrible job market then uses it to limit our freedoms-need I say more?). All those proposing this stuff say they are gun owners and supporters of 2A, they are liars. McAuliffe and the statists Dems care nothing for us or our freedoms. Oppose this any way we can.
Posted by: gbellamy

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 07:50 AM

This is not a Dem/Repub/Rhino/Progressive/Libertarian issue. It is a 2nd Amendment issue. This affects your individual right to defend yourself. I talk to everyone about this and always try to keep politics out of it. You will have better luck getting your friends who may not understand this issue because they vote party lines. Talk to them about just this. Stay away from labels. Get your gay friends, Union buddies and other people that would normally vote a party line against this issue to understand this is an INDIVIDUAL issue and affects all of us.

Which person do you think a Democrat VA representative is going to listen to? The Rabid guy who states he is a Conservative and didn't vote for him or the guy who tells him I voted for you but on this issue you are wrong. We need these people to be with us and stand with us on this issue.

Just my opinion. And oh by the way I am Libertarian and want them all run out of office.
Posted by: scott9050

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 08:54 AM

Imagine losing your job and falling behind on child support then losing your CCW permit.

Can you imagine losing 1st amendment rights or the right to vote for some of these actions? We knew McAuliffe was scum ahead of time, this just insures that his time here is very limited.
Posted by: AeroKale

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 12:04 PM

I wish these yahoos would focus on the state of the economy rather ad nauseam issues like this.
Posted by: punchie

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 12:10 PM

BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER
Quote:
This is not a Dem/Repub/Rhino/Progressive/Libertarian issue. It is a 2nd Amendment issue. This affects your individual right to defend yourself. I talk to everyone about this and always try to keep politics out of it. You will have better luck getting your friends who may not understand this issue because they vote party lines. Talk to them about just this. Stay away from labels. Get your gay friends, Union buddies and other people that would normally vote a party line against this issue to understand this is an INDIVIDUAL issue and affects all of us.

Which person do you think a Democrat VA representative is going to listen to? The Rabid guy who states he is a Conservative and didn't vote for him or the guy who tells him I voted for you but on this issue you are wrong. We need these people to be with us and stand with us on this issue.

Just my opinion.
Posted by: DevilDog0402

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: _WD_
I'm not supprised.

Nope frown
Posted by: highlandscot

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 12:56 PM

One thing you CAN do about it is show up at Lobby Day in great numbers. Last year we were a little skinny, though still far more than the antis. But a bigger turnout this year would certainly make your grievances known. So if this news concerns or worries you - SHOW UP AT LOBBY DAY!
Posted by: TheColtCollector

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 01:03 PM

When is lobby day? ill be there!

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 02:01 PM

January 19th - MLK Day is Lobby day every year in VA. There is a forum link about Lobby Day, and also see VCDL website - they coordinate a lot of Lobby Day pro-gun activities including a rally. Oh - and YES YOU CAN CARRY!

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 02:08 PM

Here is the forum link to the topic:

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/824797/gonew/1#UNREAD

Should be a reminder banner going up soon as well, so it will be flashing in your face when you log in. This is really very important guys, and if you can make it - you should go.
Posted by: Mark S

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 02:39 PM

The chance of getting this through the Legislature are close to Zero. Not only do Reps hold both houses, but non-Lib Dems aren't going to pick a fight over guns.

But, we need to make sure our Reps and Sens know how we feel. To find your Legislators go here:
http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/

After you put in your address you can use the drop down to email or call your Rep/Sen. If you haven't done it you should. This is retail politics and they count and respond to the contact that they get. I got to know our new US Rep Barbara Comstock to the point the that she rang my doorbell and knew who I was (trying to get my son an internship with her this summer). Babara Favola, my Sen, won't be stopping by for coffee... Just let them know that you are a person that many people to turn to talk about guns (or any other subject you want to cover) when legislation comes up and that it is very important to you.
Posted by: Rogpog

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 05:30 PM

You suck mcawful

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark S
The chance of getting this through the Legislature are close to Zero. Not only do Reps hold both houses, but non-Lib Dems aren't going to pick a fight over guns.very true, BUT if we don't make some noise and let the law makers know we won't stand for this it just might happen. Lets not assume or take this for granted. Bloomberg is a billionaire who spent a few million getting McAuliffe in office, he showed the NRA!! Whos to say he wont spend $25000 to bus 5000 anti gunners to Lobby Day?? He'll show us then!!

But, we need to make sure our Reps and Sens know how we feel.YES!!! Contact your legislators and show up at Lobby Day!!! To find your Legislators go here:
http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/

After you put in your address you can use the drop down to email or call your Rep/Sen. If you haven't done it you should. This is retail politics and they count and respond to the contact that they get. I got to know our new US Rep Barbara Comstock to the point the that she rang my doorbell and knew who I was (trying to get my son an internship with her this summer). Babara Favola, my Sen, won't be stopping by for coffee... Just let them know that you are a person that many people to turn to talk about guns (or any other subject you want to cover) when legislation comes up and that it is very important to you.

Lets not get caught with our pants down. Keep the fight alive!!

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 08:52 PM

For those who want to participate in Lobby Day but not drive, VCDL is offering reasonably priced round-trip buses from many locations. Here is the info:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

When making a reservation for a bus seat on January 19th, I forgot to ask you to also indicate at which locality (Fairfax, Roanoke, Virginia Beach, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, or Harrisonburg) you will be catching the bus.

So once again:

Here is the cities where there will be pickup/drop off points for the buses (approximate pickup/drop off times in parenthesis):

Charlottesville (6:15 AM / 4 PM)
Fairfax County (6 AM / 4 PM)
Harrisonburg (6 AM / 4:15 PM)
Lynchburg (5 AM/ 5:30 PM)
Roanoke (4 AM / 5:10 PM)
Virginia Beach (6 AM / 4 PM)

The exact location of each pickup/drop off point will be announced in a future update.

Each bus holds 55 passengers and we are taking reservations for seats now - first come, first serve.

The cost is $25 per seat for VCDL members and their party and $30 per seat for non-members and their party. We will also gratefully accept additional contributions to help defray the rest of the cost for the buses (which is actually around $32 per seat)..

To make your reservation, send an email to: bus@vcdl.org

Include the following information in the email:

1. The locality where you will be catching the bus

2. The number in your party

3. For each member of your party, include:

a. Their full name
b. Their email address (if they have one)
c. Their cell phone number (if none, then their home phone)

ONCE YOU HAVE GOTTEN A CONFIRMATION THAT YOUR SEATS ARE RESERVED, then you can pay for your seats by clicking here:

https://mobipledge.mobi/vcdl/webpledge/

(You can pay for all the seats with one payment and, again, you can donate more if you wish to help defray more of the cost for the buses.)

Just bring the receipt with you when boarding on January 19th.
Posted by: Togeneral98

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/15/14 09:08 PM

I will be there.

I love how they instantly call every new form of gun control common sense. Here's some food for thought...when getting a divorce it is a common tactic of the woman's attorney to urge the wife to get a protective order if possible to help their case in court even if there is no real basis for it. Under this legislation you could have to not only fight false allegations but be forced into disarmament while doing so...

Real common sense eh?
Posted by: DawgPoundx19

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/16/14 09:09 AM

Heard about this garbage, and I feared this when McAuliffe stole the election (thanks to the Democratic money sponsored Robert Sarvis who stole just enough of the votes).
What is particularly pathetic about this legislation is that is is not based on any sort of facts, its based on fear and misinformation.
We all know that every one of the dealers at a gun show goes thru the standard state police background checks, just as they do at a brick and mortar store. Yet there is a flawed belief by most that every gun in the place is cash and carry with no questions asked. It's bogus, plain and simple.
Add to that what is a gross over reach of government authority, by taking away CCW rights of individuals who are delinquent on child support (because self defense and child support have a cause and effect relationship), and the overly liberal use of a restraining order meaning confiscation of fire arms from an otherwise law abiding citizen. So someone with an anti-gun agenda, a scorned ex, etc., could file frivolous complaints and result in loss of legally owned fire arms. Very dangerous loop holes being opened.
These measures are the start of a little game called "just the tip" before the royal screwing begins. Everything is done slowly and deliberately until your rights are gone and you never even noticed. All under the guise of "safety".
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/16/14 11:33 AM

The one thing that people seem to forget about any type of consumer protection law regardless of the product is:
YOU HAVE TO LEGISLATE BEHAVIOR , NOT OBJECTS...

There was an interview on Charlottesville Today with the lawyer who is suing Bushmaster. When he was told that gun ownership is a constitutional right and manufacturers cannot be held responsible if their products are used in an illegal manner. His response was "Constitutional Right, SO WHAT" !!
Posted by: Travis#

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/16/14 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: tpak
The one thing that people seem to forget about any type of consumer protection law regardless of the product is:

There was an interview on Charlottesville Today with the lawyer who is suing Bushmaster. When he was told that gun ownership is a constitutional right and manufacturers cannot be held responsible if their products are used in an illegal manner. His response was "Constitutional Right, SO WHAT" !!

These people have no respect for the constitution, from the White House down. And that is why we need to stand up for our constitution, and support it any way that we can.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/17/14 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Marley
Originally Posted By: tpak

These people have no respect for the constitution, from the White House down. And that is why we need to stand up for our constitution, and support it any way that we can.

The object of those lawsuits comes down to 1 of 2 objectives.

First, is 'greenmail' they want to make settling the case easier and cheaper than defending it.

Second, they want to put you out of business or at least degrade your willingness or ability to compete. Big firms do it to little firms that are competitors all of the time. they sue for 'patent infringement' or bring a labor suit for 'tampering'. A number of gun manufacturers have been put pout of business this way.
Posted by: Quigley

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/17/14 05:45 PM

Let's see how the NRA does defending their home turf on this one
Posted by: Adam Lee

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/19/14 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Quigley
Let's see how the NRA does defending their home turf on this one

Agreed! Man, Virginia is NRA HQ - we are "ground zero" for Second Amendment - let's do everything we can to show support!!

Adam
Posted by: CHPKMike

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/21/14 06:55 PM

Quote:
What are you going to do???

renewed my NRA membership tonight..
Posted by: Agent19

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/22/14 07:58 AM

Please don't look to others to solve this problem.
You(WE)can fight this.

Make your voices heard, call write and email your State elected reps, make an appointment to see them prior to LOBBY DAY if you're able.

Whether your Elected Rep is Pro or Anti they should know how you feel about this and other issues that are important to you.

Please, it's never to late, start today MAKE THAT CALL.
Posted by: HOTOZZ

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/25/14 11:02 AM

RECALL ALL THE A**HOLES THAT SUPPORT HIM
Posted by: weez3006

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/25/14 11:29 AM

We need to get all groups clubs and ind to work and stand together. VCDL NRA VSSA your hunt clubs ( I've had a hard time with guys that just hunt seem to think that will not effect me and my shotgun or deer rifle they are after your AR or AK or handgun ) we need to be smart cover all angles. That said it seems the only thing you see on the local news are guys in camo pants tucked in boots carrying AK type rifle on there shoulder. I have no problem with that. But what does it look like to others ? We all ready know they just don't get it.
Where can we find all the info on the 9000 ccp people that owe Carpetbagger 15 million in back over due or other child suppourt ??? Are they Va residents how many other laws on the books to collect back child support ? Do they want to look at those overdue by age race male female ??
Why does it seem the Left seem to want to have less punshiment for crime? What will deture crime if no punshiment? What happen to "Project Exile" ??? We need to expose laws (in good detail) not being enforced. Basicly educate gun grabbers about all the laws we good gun owners do not break.
Hope I didn't offend anybody here just venting. Thanks
Posted by: weez3006

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/25/14 11:33 AM

Is there ever any planning meetings of Va Gun Trader VCDL VSSA NRA and others??? Or is just a wing it approach and maybe better luck next year ?
Posted by: amazngrace

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/25/14 08:18 PM

Go on the VCDL site, they have regular meetings which even non-
members are encouraged to attend. Right now they are getting cranked up for "Lobby Day" in Richmond!

...ED
Posted by: bahia_maduro

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/26/14 08:20 AM

Just sent my VCDL renewal.
Posted by: arcsound

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/27/14 11:31 PM

Wrong. These anti-liberty, statist regulations almost always come from the Left, from Democrats, from Progressives. Republicans will from time to time lose their way and go along with this BS, like Guv. Romney's signing the absurd assault rifle ban, but it is always Dems that initiate the action. Don't obfuscate the reality of the situation, the problem is Democrats, and their ever increasing appetite for government intrusion into our lives, period.
Posted by: arcsound

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/27/14 11:42 PM

Agreed, between Sarvis, the plant, and dopey single professional females in NOVA that were worried about their access to late term abortions under Cootch, when the reality is they would not have an unscheduled latte, we are stuck with a first rate Democrat progressive that has no respect for personal liberty and the 2A. Thank you, useful idiots.

Originally Posted By: DawgPoundx19
Heard about this garbage, and I feared this when McAuliffe stole the election (thanks to the Democratic money sponsored Robert Sarvis who stole just enough of the votes).
What is particularly pathetic about this legislation is that is is not based on any sort of facts, its based on fear and misinformation.
We all know that every one of the dealers at a gun show goes thru the standard state police background checks, just as they do at a brick and mortar store. Yet there is a flawed belief by most that every gun in the place is cash and carry with no questions asked. It's bogus, plain and simple.
Add to that what is a gross over reach of government authority, by taking away CCW rights of individuals who are delinquent on child support (because self defense and child support have a cause and effect relationship), and the overly liberal use of a restraining order meaning confiscation of fire arms from an otherwise law abiding citizen. So someone with an anti-gun agenda, a scorned ex, etc., could file frivolous complaints and result in loss of legally owned fire arms. Very dangerous loop holes being opened.
These measures are the start of a little game called "just the tip" before the royal screwing begins. Everything is done slowly and deliberately until your rights are gone and you never even noticed. All under the guise of "safety".
Posted by: PapaSeven

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/29/14 01:24 PM

What are the hours so I can request off.
Posted by: celero1000

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/29/14 04:41 PM

What do you propose we do?
Posted by: celero1000

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/29/14 04:46 PM

Do we have an organized march on city hall. I'm in the military I work a lot of hours so jerks like this can get votes from mindless liberals who think the constitution is old and outdated. Please what are your thoughts

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/29/14 07:39 PM

Lobby Day 2015 is near!

January 19, 2015 (Monday) it's a Holiday for many as it's MLK day.
Time is usually 8:30a until the 1:00pm Rally and many stay for the legislative sessions/hearing.

1. Emily Miller to speak at VCDL Lobby Day on January 19th

Emily Miller, chief investigative reporter for Fox 5 DC and the author of "Emily Gets Her Gun"' has graciously agreed to be one of the speakers at Lobby Day on January 19th!

She joins David Codrea on the list of guest speakers. You don't want to miss Lobby Day 2015!

Watch for more speaker announcements coming soon.

2. Lobby Day Flyer available for download so you can spread the message!

Click on this link to download the VCDL Lobby Day 2015 flyer:

https://vcdl.org/sites/default/files/Lobby_Day_2015_Flyer.pdf

Distribute the flyer at local gun stores, gun shows, and at meetings of like-minded groups. Place them on bulletin boards at stores. Hand them to friends and co-workers. If they own a gun, hand them a flyer! ;-)

Please help us to get the word spread as far as possible!
Posted by: Boyet

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 12/30/14 07:31 PM

I'm in on lobby day... Will be there. I have been in our home here in Virginia for only 2 months. I just left NY for one of these reasons. Now this, if we don't stand up we are done here. The NY safe act is ridiculous and pretty much shoved down our throats.
Posted by: Dee

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/02/15 05:25 AM

Why don`t the liberals suggest losing your right to food stamps, alcoholic beverages, and any other give away program when you are behind on child support payments. I don`t think anybody is surprised by this with him being associated with Clinton. At least we have the majority in the General Assembly. Let your Reps know we will not stand for this. VIRGINIA IS NOT an ANTI-GUN STATE.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/06/15 08:01 AM

Lobby day is important if you can make it Lady's and Gents. You don't need to be a VCDL member but the anti's and our elected officials need to see the strength behind the pro gun voters.
Posted by: gbellamy

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/09/15 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: arcsound
Wrong. These anti-liberty, statist regulations almost always come from the Left, from Democrats, from Progressives. Republicans will from time to time lose their way and go along with this BS, like Guv. Romney's signing the absurd assault rifle ban, but it is always Dems that initiate the action. Don't obfuscate the reality of the situation, the problem is Democrats, and their ever increasing appetite for government intrusion into our lives, period.

Did you even read my post? I was not talking about conservatives, libertarians etc talking to a liberal legislator. I think we need to talk to our friends that blindly vote these people in. If those friends who do vote for these people talk to those legislators and possibly start thinking about their vote we may turn the corner. When they speak to these legislators they have the power of saying "I voted for you .....BUT on this issue you are wrong." We do not have the luxury of saying that to these legislators and he will probably tune us out and send us a form letter. A politician wants one thing and that is to stay a politician. So these people telling them they may change their vote matters to them.

But the part that is important is you do not attack your friend. You speak to them on this issue and stay away from other hot buttons. Try to get them involved in a gun group. Take it slow. I have changed several people and gotten them to call their legislators about gun laws.

If you notice I tried to explain this in a way that should not anger you or hit YOUR hot buttons. Try explaining things this way and it will probably work better. As it stands now you just tuned out every left leaning person that read this thread, and they have no desire to listen to you about anything. We need everyone that is a gun owner to understand this is a fundamental right that we cannot compromise on. It is what keeps us from having a tyrannical government.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/09/15 08:46 AM

Have you called or written your Sen or Rep yet?

Here is part of the email I sent to mine:

I'm and owner, carrier, enthusiast and collector of firearms. I really do not see any reason to go back to the one per month rule. I would ask that you do not support the change the Gov is asking for. If I want to buy a number of guns from a collection, why would it make sense to take delivery of one per month. IF there was evidence that buying more than one gun per month increased gun crime, violence, etc, I would see it as worthy of consideration and debate, but this is nothing more than stupid pandering by the Gov. It seems extremely unlikely to pass, it's just pandering, stop wasting the people's time.
Posted by: cowboyt

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/10/15 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Dee
Why don`t the liberals suggest losing your right to food stamps, alcoholic beverages, and any other give away program when you are behind on child support payments. I don`t think anybody is surprised by this with him being associated with Clinton.

Hmm...maybe you've got a point. According to what I've seen, that would affect rural Conservatives at least as much, if not more, than it would affect urban/suburban Liberals like me.

Originally Posted By: Dee

At least we have the majority in the General Assembly. Let your Reps know we will not stand for this. VIRGINIA IS NOT an ANTI-GUN STATE.

If by "we", you mean "Republicans", then that's not going to go over well with the people we need to convince. I'm referring to folks primarily in Northern Virginia.

See, I used to be an anti. Now I'm a proud firearms enthusiast. And as a former anti, I can attest to the wisdom of gbellamy's advice.

Turns out I, too, have had some success in getting some folks to reconsider their anti-gun ideas. It doesn't happen right away, so don't expect instant results. I didn't change my own mind on the 2A right away just because "someone told me to". I came to it on my own, and that's how it's got to happen with others as well.

Here's how I accomplish that.

http://www.cmosnetworks.com/WhyWeNeedToWelcomeLiberals.html

Read this, and use some of the ideas in there. I've found that it works. And this can help Virginia remain a pro-gun State.
Posted by: kk1532003

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/10/15 09:13 PM

If I have a God given right to carry a firearm, what does it matter what the Governor thinks?

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/11/15 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: kk1532003
If I have a God given right to carry a firearm, what does it matter what the Governor thinks?

Because God doesn't legislate in VA...
Posted by: aka-cyberman

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/12/15 09:59 PM

Gun Control is his silent, number one priority.
Posted by: chuckyzfr1

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/14/15 11:04 AM

This comes as no surprise to me, I knew the Gov was rabidly anti-gun long before he was elected. I agree with many of the sentiments expressed already, and I know I'll just be preaching to the choir if I chime in. I would like to point something out though; while it seems highly unlikely in the immediate future, I believe that at some point we're going to see the passage of legislation regarding private sales/transfers of firearms. I am totally against this (& all forms of gun control). However, if faced with the prospect of an outright ban on private sales, and the option of being able to utilize the VSP call in line like FFL's do now, I would definitely choose the latter.

I think that we should fight tooth and nail all proposed gun control, but keep this notion in our back pockets - if we are provided access to the VSP call-in we will still be able to buy/sell/trade privately, without the added expense and hassle of coordinating thru an FFL. And we could ultimately dodge a bullet on the Federal level as well, much like VA did when it instituted the instant call-in line in the first place; our system met the criteria of Federal legislation passed after we created it, while many states were stuck with (& continue to have in some cases) a 3-day waiting period for purchases. Just my .02

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/14/15 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: chuckyzfr1
This comes as no surprise to me, I knew the Gov was rabidly anti-gun long before he was elected. I agree with many of the sentiments expressed already, and I know I'll just be preaching to the choir if I chime in. I would like to point something out though; while it seems highly unlikely in the immediate future, I believe that at some point we're going to see the passage of legislation regarding private sales/transfers of firearms. I am totally against this (& all forms of gun control). However, if faced with the prospect of an outright ban on private sales, and the option of being able to utilize the VSP call in line like FFL's do now, I would definitely choose the latter.

I think that we should fight tooth and nail all proposed gun control, but keep this notion in our back pockets - if we are provided access to the VSP call-in we will still be able to buy/sell/trade privately, without the added expense and hassle of coordinating thru an FFL. And we could ultimately dodge a bullet on the Federal level as well, much like VA did when it instituted the instant call-in line in the first place; our system met the criteria of Federal legislation passed after we created it, while many states were stuck with (& continue to have in some cases) a 3-day waiting period for purchases. Just my .02

Concur, none of us want to sell to felons. In this 'era of transparency' you'd think that would be an easy one to pass. Give individual sellers access to the system. I'd even pay a small fee to check someone I didn't know before selling. But, it should also be optional to use or not, there are guys on this board I've numerous trades with, they have a CCP, and I know them, I'm not going to run them.
Posted by: Vagunbuyer4

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/15/15 01:55 PM

Will be there, bringing fellow VAGT members.
Posted by: Vagunbuyer4

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/15/15 04:06 PM

Thought I'd post the ammo the anti-gunners would be using.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/16/15 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: aka-cyberman
Gun Control is his silent, number one priority.

He has to payback his 3 biggest money backers that got him elected into office ... bill , hillary and micheal
Posted by: cville_guy

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/16/15 10:32 AM

Two of the three proposals seem reasonable to me...

I don't think restricting gun ownership for folks that owe child support will do anything for safety but if it makes a guy not meeting his obligations start paying, then maybe it's worth considering. We deny felons' constitutional rights to vote, hard to see how this is much different.

Background checks seem reasonable to me. My background, and the background of a significant majority of folks on this site are clean. If the background check process is quick and simple, why not?

I'm less confident about the reasonableness of one handgun a month. I can think of many reasonable scenarios where an individual would buy or sell more than one handgun in 30 days. Perhaps there is some benefit to limiting quantity but exceptions would need to be added. Not sure how to write this one yet...

I welcome any constructive comments that don't engage in personal insults and can provide counter view points of substanence. Simply stating "these rules infringe on gun rights" without elaborating why is not constructive and are actually counter productive to your argument because it makes reasonable people less willing to listen.
Posted by: v8unleashed

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/16/15 10:34 AM

In my experience, there is a direct relation to the number of times a person uses the word "reasonable" in describing gun control, and how unreasonable his ideas actually are. This also relates how far he has his head stuck in the sand. You used the word "reasonable" a lot. Why is it necessary to preface your statement by telling people that it is "reasonable" -- is it because they might not think so unless you tell them?

Thank God we have a system of constitutional government based on the rule of law, and not whatever a majority of ostriches think is "reasonable" at any given time. Another school shooting or two, and most Americans will be in favor of taking away all semi-automatic weapons. They will believe that is exceedingly "reasonable."

I for one am in favor of a background check before people are allowed to obtain internet access and post things on web forums. And it seems appropriate that ostriches would not pass such a check, so they won't make dangerous posts about how reasonable it is to take away my rights. That seems reasonable to me.

Originally Posted By: cville_guy

I don't think restricting gun ownership for folks that owe child support will do anything for safety but if it makes a guy not meeting his obligations start paying, then maybe it's worth considering. We deny felons' constitutional rights to vote, hard to see how this is much different.

Background checks seem reasonable to me. My background, and the background of a significant majority of folks on this site are clean. If the background check process is quick and simple, why not?

I'm less confident about the reasonableness of one handgun a month. I can think of many reasonable scenarios where an individual would buy or sell more than one handgun in 30 days. Perhaps there is some benefit to limiting quantity but exceptions would need to be added. Not sure how to write this one yet...

I welcome any constructive comments that don't engage in personal insults and can provide counter view points of substanence. Simply stating "these rules infringe on gun rights" without elaborating why is not constructive and are actually counter productive to your argument because it makes reasonable people less willing to listen.
Posted by: cville_guy

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/16/15 10:49 AM

Complete avoidance of discussing the actual issue. You sound like an intelligent person, which makes your comment all the more disappointing that it contains nothing worth actually reading frown
I'm sorry you were unable to develop a meaningful argument. Do you wish to try again?

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/16/15 05:21 PM

First off, don't try to gain the high ground by using the word reasonable, or sensible or any other self chosen qualifier. If you have an argument to make on merits just do so.

1. Restricting gun ownership on folks that owe child support is about intellectually honest as restricting car, home or clothing ownership. Why guns? Why not garnish their wages? Why not put them in stocks, parade them through town?

2. Background check requirements happen when one goes through an FFL so it must be acceptable right? Actually, they are just a restriction on lawful buyers. You'd think that when someone fails a background check they would do further investigating. Nope, they rarely ever do even if the person is a convicted felon. Of the hundreds of thousands of failed background checks only a handful have been prosecuted over the last 15 years. And...that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I failed a background check once, so I called what find out WTF. Talked to a very nice lady at VSP who said sorry, their bad. Went back to the FFL, he reran it and I 'passed'.

The reality is that criminals get guns mainly from robberies. I'd have to go find the survey, but of thousands of prisoners surveyed only a small, very small percentage ever got as gun in personal transaction.

So, do background checks work, apparently not very well. Yet, I wouldn't disagree that I should be able to check someone with their permission w/out using an FFL. I'd even pay a small fee. BUT, it should also be voluntary, I should not be required to do so

3. The 1 gun a month silliness is nothing more than playing to the stupidity of the constituency. They could at least have gone through the motions of having Bloomberg or Soros pay for some silly study where they find at least one example of multigun buyers committing some crime somewhere, but they didn't even do that...make a case as to a benefit of the restriction or withdraw your argument.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/18/15 08:42 AM

I am finding it difficult to agree that restricting, or removing however temporary, the civil rights of anyone for such stuff as child support is a good thing. IF you own firearms for whatever reason, self defense, hunting, collecting or whatever there are NO reasonable restrictions. Why not extend this line of thinking to all our civil rights? In fact, why not put all the civil rights on the table for this, and other stuff? HOw about free speech, or Fifth Amendment rights?? Where will it end? Give up NOTHING. There are no reasonable infringements.
Posted by: Marine1945

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/18/15 11:47 AM

Sorry, but I think your perspective is crap. People owe child support for a wide variety of reasons. How about people who went bankrupt? Why not penalize them. How about people who owe back taxes? Punish people for their crime. Don't take their rights away, unless it is directly related to the crime. There is a reason we call them rights.

Most people have good backgrounds. And serious criminals are not "the people" defined in the 2nd Amendment. "The people" were those who could bear arms as part of a militia. Some of those didn't have stellar records, and wouldn't qualify for weapons as ordained by the Stalinists in our government. Yet they were the militia that fought in the Revolution, the War of 1812 and made up much of the forces on both sides in the Civil War. Punish criminals if they illegally take weapons, not "the people." I have no issue with a non-violent felon who's done his time and has made amends having a weapon to defend himself and his family.

Just to clarify, I don't owe child support. I'm married to the beautiful wife I met 28 years ago. And, I'm a retired Marine officer, who's worked at pretty high levels of government. But people that attack my fellow Americans are scum, and I will defend their rights to the death. That's the oath I took.

If you don't believe in rights, then leave. Go to another country. This is ours.

And if you don't believe in insults then don't post crap concepts.
Posted by: Supermanscape

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/18/15 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Marine1945
Sorry, but I think your perspective is crap. People owe child support for a wide variety of reasons. How about people who went bankrupt? Why not penalize them. How about people who owe back taxes? Punish people for their crime. Don't take their rights away, unless it is directly related to the crime. There is a reason we call them rights.

Most people have good backgrounds. And serious criminals are not "the people" defined in the 2nd Amendment. "The people" were those who could bear arms as part of a militia. Some of those didn't have stellar records, and wouldn't qualify for weapons as ordained by the Stalinists in our government. Yet they were the militia that fought in the Revolution, the War of 1812 and made up much of the forces on both sides in the Civil War. Punish criminals if they illegally take weapons, not "the people." I have no issue with a non-violent felon who's done his time and has made amends having a weapon to defend himself and his family.

Just to clarify, I don't owe child support. I'm married to the beautiful wife I met 28 years ago. And, I'm a retired Marine officer, who's worked at pretty high levels of government. But people that attack my fellow Americans are scum, and I will defend their rights to the death. That's the oath I took.

If you don't believe in rights, then leave. Go to another country. This is ours.

And if you don't believe in insults then don't post crap concepts.

I wish there was a like button and a thanks button. I appreciate you serving our country. I also appreciate that you think on your own as all americans should and haven't drank the kool-aid.

If you ran for president you'd definitely get my vote!
Posted by: Frizzman

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/18/15 06:05 PM

I was born and bred in Virginia. I am over sixty and have been a shooter, hunter and collector since I was a kid. I remember when we could bring our shotguns to school as long as they stayed in the car in the school parking lot so we could leave from school and go small game hunting. There was a school shooting team when I went to high school.

Those days are long past. I have watched our rights erode based on the actions of the thugs in our society. Boys who grow up without fathers to guide them and teach them what a real man is and many who have no idea who their father is have created most of the problems. Sperm donors who bear no consequences for their irresponsible behavior create these problems. Women who expect little or nothing from the other parent are the problem...Does Governor Carpetbagger address these and other social issues that are the real cause of societal volence...Absolutely not!

The inanimate object is the easy target for simplistic thinking. Politicians do not base their appeals on facts or logic. They pander to be elected. The present Governor is typical. He is obviously an opportunist who was rewarded for being the Clinton's bagman and huckster. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. One did not have to be a political pundit to expect this from him and his ilk.

We now have a situation where both US Senators are wealthy carpetbaggers and a Governor that is just more of the same. The electorate is uninformed. How many voters have studied history, government or political science? How many understand anything about statistical proof or objective evidence? How many have even read a book or at least a newspaper in the last year? Few, I suspect. Yes, these people "buy elected offices" but without ignorant and apathetic voters, that would not happen. We get the government we deserve.

I also find "common sense rules/laws/retrictions/etc" as the phrase that means that one's freedom of choice and personal responsibilty and consequences for a person's individual behavior are to be removed by the lawyers running our lives. There is no way to define "common sense". What exactly does that mean? If it can't be objectively defined, it means nothing. That is precisely why the politicians use that phrase so often.

So far as the current drone in the Governor's Office goes, I doubt he has an original idea in his repertory. His proposals are a safe bet for him and his puppeteers. He knows very well there is no chance of their passage. His failed proposals will go nowhere and will be forgotten by all but a small amount of people who have much interest in this topic. To his political creditors and constituents, he will have made good on his pre-election promises..."At least, our wonderful Governor TRIED to reduce the terrible gun violence and FIGHT the evil NRA and all those gun nuts."...He was defeated by those evil Republicans and "the gun lobby", right? It's a wining proposition for him.

The "common sense" proposal regarding "the gun show loophole" is obviously aimed at curtailing and ending private sales. If it was put as a mandated prohibition of the right to sell personal property that will be enforced with severe sanctions, people may be less enchanted by this "common sense" proposal. Many of us know the instant check isn't instant. Due to my common name, I am always put on a hold. My record is spotless. I was a LEO. Yet, I have to wait for unpredictable amounts of time to be told I am not to be denied. All the new users of the system will further slow an already over burdened system. Is that acceptable? It is not for me. As has been stated many times, those who comply with the law will suffer the inconvenience and those who do not comply will do so with little actual risk. Anyone with any "common sense" knows that. The drug laws have certainly extinguished the trade in illegal drugs, right?

So, I am all for showing up for lobby days and other such events. The local "news" outlets will marginalize the pro Second Amendment. Will the politicians who don't make themselves scarce be influenced to change their votes? Perhaps...But, showing up to a rally isn't enough. Just sending money to the NRA alone won't influence people much. We need to be politically active and informed and willing and able to state our case to those who will pay attention. We need to be able to present reasoned, evidence based information to those around us and avoid exhibition of emotionalism that serves to confirm to others that supporters of the right to keep and bear arms ARE sane and pose no threat to them.
Posted by: BobVA

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/18/15 06:26 PM

Outstanding post Frizzman .... we are of the same generation and I too took guns to school and was a member of the schools rifle team.

Amazing how the country has changed in the last 50 years.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/18/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: BobVA
Outstanding post Frizzman .... we are of the same generation and I too took guns to school and was a member of the schools rifle team.

I'm not 'quite' as old as BobVA and Frizzman, but we took guns to school for show and tell, and we needed them in plays that we were doing in grade school. THAT WAS IN NEW YORK, in the late 1960s and early 70s. It just goes to show you what can happen and how fast.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/19/15 11:30 AM

Please post an update on how it went for those of us that couldnt make it.
Posted by: LBwill1960

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/19/15 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Frizzman
I was born and bred in Virginia. I am over sixty and have been a shooter, hunter and collector since I was a kid. I remember when we could bring our shotguns to school as long as they stayed in the car in the school parking lot so we could leave from school and go small game hunting. There was a school shooting team when I went to high school.

Those days are long past. I have watched our rights erode based on the actions of the thugs in our society. Boys who grow up without fathers to guide them and teach them what a real man is and many who have no idea who their father is have created most of the problems. Sperm donors who bear no consequences for their irresponsible behavior create these problems. Women who expect little or nothing from the other parent are the problem...Does Governor Carpetbagger address these and other social issues that are the real cause of societal volence...Absolutely not!

The inanimate object is the easy target for simplistic thinking. Politicians do not base their appeals on facts or logic. They pander to be elected. The present Governor is typical. He is obviously an opportunist who was rewarded for being the Clinton's bagman and huckster. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. One did not have to be a political pundit to expect this from him and his ilk.

We now have a situation where both US Senators are wealthy carpetbaggers and a Governor that is just more of the same. The electorate is uninformed. How many voters have studied history, government or political science? How many understand anything about statistical proof or objective evidence? How many have even read a book or at least a newspaper in the last year? Few, I suspect. Yes, these people "buy elected offices" but without ignorant and apathetic voters, that would not happen. We get the government we deserve.

I also find "common sense rules/laws/retrictions/etc" as the phrase that means that one's freedom of choice and personal responsibilty and consequences for a person's individual behavior are to be removed by the lawyers running our lives. There is no way to define "common sense". What exactly does that mean? If it can't be objectively defined, it means nothing. That is precisely why the politicians use that phrase so often.

So far as the current drone in the Governor's Office goes, I doubt he has an original idea in his repertory. His proposals are a safe bet for him and his puppeteers. He knows very well there is no chance of their passage. His failed proposals will go nowhere and will be forgotten by all but a small amount of people who have much interest in this topic. To his political creditors and constituents, he will have made good on his pre-election promises..."At least, our wonderful Governor TRIED to reduce the terrible gun violence and FIGHT the evil NRA and all those gun nuts."...He was defeated by those evil Republicans and "the gun lobby", right? It's a wining proposition for him.

The "common sense" proposal regarding "the gun show loophole" is obviously aimed at curtailing and ending private sales. If it was put as a mandated prohibition of the right to sell personal property that will be enforced with severe sanctions, people may be less enchanted by this "common sense" proposal. Many of us know the instant check isn't instant. Due to my common name, I am always put on a hold. My record is spotless. I was a LEO. Yet, I have to wait for unpredictable amounts of time to be told I am not to be denied. All the new users of the system will further slow an already over burdened system. Is that acceptable? It is not for me. As has been stated many times, those who comply with the law will suffer the inconvenience and those who do not comply will do so with little actual risk. Anyone with any "common sense" knows that. The drug laws have certainly extinguished the trade in illegal drugs, right?

So, I am all for showing up for lobby days and other such events. The local "news" outlets will marginalize the pro Second Amendment. Will the politicians who don't make themselves scarce be influenced to change their votes? Perhaps...But, showing up to a rally isn't enough. Just sending money to the NRA alone won't influence people much. We need to be politically active and informed and willing and able to state our case to those who will pay attention. We need to be able to present reasoned, evidence based information to those around us and avoid exhibition of emotionalism that serves to confirm to others that supporters of the right to keep and bear arms ARE sane and pose no threat to them.

Sir the next time I'm down your way it would be my honor to buy you a cup of coffee ,a beer ,soft drink what have you and to shake your hand.

I was there today and although the turn out was not as good as it should have been we still represented. For those that say I had to work ,to much to do around here ,ect ,ect. you need to realize that numbers speak volumes. Not preachin ,just sayin. smirk
I am not a political person but made sure this year to ask in advance to have off so I could attend. The fact that the Governor of this state is bought and paid for by Bloomberg and his gun grabbin buddies needs to be a wake up call folks. Again not preachin,just sayin.

Ms Emily Miller was the main speaker today and what she had to go thru to get a gun and a permit to carry is beyond belief. And this is in the capital of the free world people. frown
Very glad I went and will be going from now on . Keep up the fight folks.
Posted by: Sfach

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/19/15 05:02 PM

To the Brian VAGT and the MODS..thanks for all that you do here on the VAGT.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/19/15 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Sfach

To the Brian VAGT and the MODS..thanks for all that you do here on the VAGT.

Mods deserve the credit and the thanks!!

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/22/15 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: BobVA

I'm not 'quite' as old as BobVA and Frizzman, but we took guns to school for show and tell, and we needed them in plays that we were doing in grade school. THAT WAS IN NEW YORK, in the late 1960s and early 70s. It just goes to show you what can happen and how fast.

I'm originally from San Francisco and was born in those aforementioned late '60's. Unfortunately, we weren't bringing guns to school for show 'n' tell, not in the Bay Area. I wasn't even allowed to have a BB-gun because my parents didn't approve of it. "YOU DON'T NEED THAT!" I envied my friends whose parents let them have BB-guns.

If we don't start doing a better job selling the idea of freedom to younger folks, about why this matters, we're in for it, folks. We will become California if we don't do this.
Posted by: lawman90

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/22/15 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: cowboyt

I'm originally from San Francisco and was born in those aforementioned late '60's. Unfortunately, we weren't bringing guns to school for show 'n' tell, not in the Bay Area. I wasn't even allowed to have a BB-gun because my parents didn't approve of it. "YOU DON'T NEED THAT!" I envied my friends whose parents let them have BB-guns.

If we don't start doing a better job selling the idea of freedom to younger folks, about why this matters, we're in for it, folks. We will become California if we don't do this.

If it's any consolation, I've noticed my younger and more liberal friends (along with people my age, 24 year old millennial) are much more pro-gun than their parents and older siblings. This is just my experience of course, but we young people do like our guns and spread it by taking each other to the range, gun shows, etc. I've also gotten at least 3 or 4 good friends of mine into guns, one of which is already on his 6th or so.
Posted by: RVApowerRANGER

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/23/15 11:22 AM

I'm a bit confused on the wording regarding background checks from private sellers at "the gun show." Does that pertain to ONLY individuals purchasing from private sellers at the gun show or would this law be eliminating private sales altogether?

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/23/15 09:20 PM

They would like to have it so that every private deal has to go through FFL

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/25/15 12:15 PM

Thus eliminating all private sales and trades

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/26/15 08:38 AM

VA-ALERT: URGENT Legislative Action Items! 1/25/15
---------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Large numbers of gun bills coming up Monday!
2. Winchester Public Schools need to hear from us on Delegate Berg's school bill!

1. Large numbers of gun bills coming up Monday!

On Monday morning the Senate Courts of Justice committee is going to hear 6 pro-gun bills and 12 anti-gun bills.

To send an email to your senator SUPPORTING the pro-gun bills, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/o6pcvnd

To send an email to your senator OPPOSING the anti-gun bills, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/pmjcjhk

The committee meets on 8:00 AM in Senate Room B. If you wish to come to show support, please do.
Posted by: MP3Mogul

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/26/15 06:46 PM

One gun per month - FAILED

Background checks on private sales - FAILED

Thank GOD there are people with sense!

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/26/15 06:48 PM

Great job VCDL! Every bad gun bill heard in the Senate Courts of Justice today was killed and all the pro-gun bills, except one that was withdrawn for the year, was passed out of committee!

The following bills passed out of committee:

SB 689, Sen. Black, lifetime concealed handgun permits

SB 1132, Sen. Garrett, allows concealed handgun permit holders to be able to carry a concealed handgun on K-12 school property after school hours

SB 1137, Sen. Garrett, allows concealed handgun permit holders to have a loaded long gun in their vehicle, regardless of local ordinances to the contrary

SB 1155, Sen. Edwards, requires police make a reasonable effort to return a recovered stolen gun to its owner.

SB 1191, Sen. Norment, requires that a person must KNOWINGLY possess a firearm on K-12 school property before they can be guilty of a felony charge

The following bill was withdrawn:

SB 828, Sen. Black, allows PRIVATE K-12 schools to set their own firearms policies

The following bills are DEAD:

SB 694, Sen. Marsden, "gun show loophole" bill goes after non-existing loophole. Gun sales procedures are the same inside a gun show as they are outside a gun show

SB 768, Sen. McEachin, "universal background check" bill which would put an onerous burden on those selling their personal firearms. The only way to enforce such a law would be to also have "universal registration"

SB 798, Sen. Locke, reinstates the old "One Handgun a Month" law, which wasn't shown to be effective in stopping gun trafficking

SB 909, Sen. Howell, takes away the right of a person to protect themselves in their own home if they have a protective order issued against them. Such orders can be ex parte and are frequently given to both parties during a divorce

SB 912, Sen. Wexton, takes away a person's gun rights for 90 days if an emergency custody order is issued, even if the order was unwarranted

SB 943, Sen. Favola, takes away a person's gun rights for certain MISDEMEANORS. Misdemeanors are not meant to take away civil rights. This bill initially looked to have passed out of committee, but a full vote recount showed that it failed and failed badly

SB 993, Sen. Lucas, another "gun show loophole" bill

SB 1108, Sen. Puller, takes away a person's concealed handgun permit for being delinquent in child support payments

SB 1178, Sen. Ebbin, a massive hodgepodge of gun control schemes, from creating a "One FIREARM a Month" law to "universal background checks" and almost everything in between

SB 1179, Sen. Ebbin, has the government determining a child's maturity instead of the parents doing so, making it illegal for a 4-year-old to do such things as shoot a BB gun under parental supervision

SB 1215, Sen. Ebbin, would make a person who, for example, sells a gun that has been in their family for 100 years, a criminal if that gun has ivory grips or an ivory inlay.

SB 1429, Sen. Barker, takes away gun rights from someone who is deemed a "substantial risk" to himself or others. Current mental-health laws already cover this.

Also Delegate Webert’s bill to recognize gun rights restored in other states, HB 2286, passed out of the House Courts of Justice criminal subcommittee

One of the Moms Demand Action representatives was behaving badly during her testimony in the Senate Courts of Justice by berating some of the Republican committee members. She was publicly reprimanded by the Committee Chairman, Senator Norment.

Just the antis being themselves! ;-)

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
Posted by: LBwill1960

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/27/15 06:59 AM

SWEET !!!!!!
Thanks for posting that Marco . Way to go VCDL
Posted by: coopaloop

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/27/15 07:21 AM

Outstanding! Common sense and personal liberty won! We need to write letters of appreciation to those that voted for the good and killed the bad bills! Don't let the nay-sayers drown our gratitude out!
Posted by: VIETBOY1ST

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/27/15 12:28 PM

Guns control is like a nazi control to me..
Posted by: yankee-carpet-bagger

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/27/15 06:07 PM

YAY! Fairfax county reps... racing to the bottom, buncha turds.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/30/15 10:13 AM

Yesterday, we did it again.

There were a bunch o' bills being heard, virtually all of 'em bad news. The antis somehow had packed the room full of people with their VCDL-copy-cat-wannabe yellow stickers. They got the idea from our orange "Guns SAVE Lives" stickers. Hey, imitation's the sincerest form of flattery, eh? The Moms Demanding Illegal Mayors were there in force. Apparently Bloom-boy's also funding buses to subcommittee hearings now, not just Lobby Day.

Fortunately...we were there in force, too. No external funding, either. :-)

It was an interesting experience speaking in front of a House Subcommittee. I'd never done that before. It's really not so difficult.

You know how we actually like to cite the law, especially the Constitution, when making our arguments, and how instead the antis typically like to go emotional and try to tug on heartstrings? Well, I decided, "high time the antis got a dose of their own medicine." That bit about revoking permits for being late on child support payments? Well, Lori Haas slipped and said, "deadbeat Dads" before quickly changing it to "deadbeat parents".

Whoops.

Don't you think that went unnoticed. It didn't.

SF Liberal gets up to speak. "Umm, someone said 'deadbeat Dads' before quickly changing it to 'deadbeat parents'. Hey, that's an attack against *men*! This isn't supposed to be a gender-based attack here."

I immediately heard a somewhat muffled, "harrumph!" coming from Lori Haas, who had said that. Gotcha. :-)

Bob, Dennis, and Philip did their usual excellent work. The NRA representative was also there, a rather tall woman, and she, too, did a good job knocking down the antis' strawmen and other fallacies.

The bill was tabled. So were the rest of the bad ones. Na-na-naaa-na, hey hey hey, good-bye...! :-D

As a NASCAR racer might say, VCDL "kicks gas."

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/30/15 08:06 PM

VA-ALERT: Legislative Action Items and a complete rout of gun-control bills tonight!‏

ACTION ITEM: We need to kill Senator Favola's misdemeanors take away gun-rights bill!

I have finally seen the new wording on Senator Favola's misdemeanors take away gun-rights bill, SB 943, and it is NOT good. This is the bill that was brought back from the dead, highly modified, and passed out of committee. It is going to the Finance Committee, where it could be killed based on funding. If it survives the Finance Committee, it will then head to the Senate Floor for a vote.

Let's get cracking to stop this bad bill in its tracks!

Click here to send a message to your Senator to kill SB 943:

http://tinyurl.com/ppc7x6b

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/31/15 07:26 AM

I already wrote to her twice on the bill.

Babbs is my Sen and I apologize for it, but there is littel we can do to stop her re-elections these days as she has a lock on the seat currently, and my district is sliding further and further left. As soon as the last son finishes school I'm outta here.

Best shot may be in the House.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 01/31/15 04:12 PM

Proud I live here just wish we could have a decent conservative governor again

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 02/03/15 09:20 AM

1. URGENT ACTION ITEM: Anti-gun bill being heard TODAY!

Tomorrow, Tuesday, February 3, Senator Favola's bill to take away gun rights for misdemeanors, SB 943, is being heard in Senate Finance. This is the bill that was initially killed, brought back to life, modified, and passed out of committee.

Besides taking away gun rights from someone for various misdemeanor convictions, the bill claims to allow for restoration of gun rights for a conviction of misdemeanor domestic violence. The trouble is that it WILL NOT restore those rights federally, based on federal case law. So, this bill has NO redeeming features and we need to kill it.

If you have not yet sent an email to your Senator to OPPOSE SB 943, please take 10 seconds to send a pre-written email now by clicking here:

http://tinyurl.com/ppc7x6b

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 02/04/15 12:28 AM

A liberal governor would be fine with me as long as it's a real liberal, e. g. being pro-2A. McAuliffe is a "progressive".

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 02/12/15 09:45 AM

VCDL President via va-alert

Show details

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

Congratulations VCDL! We are at the halfway point in the General Assembly session and all that is left in the General Assembly are either pro-gun bills or bills we on which we are neutral. 

Today, Thursday, February 12, at 4 PM in the 9th Floor West conference room, the Militia, Police and Public Safety subcommittee # 1 will meet and consider several gun bills:

S.B. 936, Senator Marsden, gives police, sheriffs, Capitol Police, and Virginia State Police the option of donating an unclaimed firearm to the Department of Forensics in lieu of destroying the firearm. If the option of auctioning the firearm to a gun dealer were added, VCDL would support this bill.

S.B. 948, Senator Stuart, prohibits the Virginia State Police from providing Virginia concealed handgun permittee information to law enforcement in states that do not have a reciprocal licensing agreement with Virginia. This would prevent states that are hostile to gun ownership, such as Maryland, from going on “fishing trips” to find an excuse to arrest or harass Virginia concealed handgun permit holders.

SB 1130, Senator Garrett, repeals the ban on blackjacks, switchblades, ballistic knives, and throwing stars. Switchblades and ballistic knives are particularly useful to those with physical handicaps. Criminal misuse of such weapons is illegal, but mere possession should not be.

S.B. 1137, Senator Garrett, exempts concealed handgun permit holders from any local bans on having loaded rifles or shotguns in a vehicle on any public street, road, or highway. Currently law enforcement, military and any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business are exempted.

S.B. 1155, Senator Edwards, requires law enforcement to take reasonable steps to return a stolen gun used in a crime back to its rightful owner.

S.B. 1191, Senator Norment, changes the felony charge for having a firearm on school property to apply only if the person does so knowingly. This is particularly important for exclusive school events held off of school property.

If you can attend the subcommittee meeting, please do so. I will have some Guns Save Lives stickers to hand out. 

Let's help get these bills out of the subcommittee!

Here is a link to VCDL's Legislative Tracking Tool, which shows the status of all the gun bills:

http://www2.vcdl.org/webapps/vcdl/2015leg.html

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org 

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 02/13/15 01:41 AM

Actually - those we label Liberals are not. They tried to change the definition and then just move ahead. Check this out - it is funny. And sadly, true. "Liberals" are by and large, anti-liberal in their philosophies and actions. Almost without exception, everyone I know who is liberal in their actions and beliefs - based on the actual definition of the term - is a conservative and usually Republican. It is entertainment but think about it.
And cowboyt - you are welcome to my backyard range any time. We DO need to try to use persuasive logic and a great deal of patience and tolerance to get some "liberals" to see the light on gun rights. Glad to see you in the forums!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhT46kx2XU

And check this too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAA_So0d01w

Enjoy!

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 02/22/15 09:29 AM

Here is the status of the remaining gun bills in the General Assembly this week. The session will be over at end of February, so things should continue moving right along.

BILLS THAT HAVE PASSED BOTH BODIES AND ARE HEADED TO THE GOVERNOR'S DESK

HB 1666, Delegate Fowler, allows a non-resident who previously resided in Virginia to get his firearms rights restored in Virginia. The Senate made a minor change and the change was accepted by the House.

-

SB 1137, Senator Garrett, allows a CHP holder to have a loaded long gun in his vehicle. The House made a minor technical amendment. The bill passed the House and the Senate accepted the technical amendment.

-

SB 1191, Senator Norment, changes the felony charge for having a firearm on school property to apply only if the person has the gun knowingly. Blasted out of both the House and Senate.

-

SB 948, Senator Stuart, prohibits the VSP from sharing CHP information with any state that does not have a reciprocal agreement with Virginia. This bill has passed both bodies.

-

SB848, Senator Stanley, creates the "Governor's Twenty" marksmanship award. Has passed both bodies.

-

BILLS THAT ARE DEAD

HB 2029, Delegate Wilt, allows a CHP holder to skip a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. Again, the VSP claimed a fiscal impact due to a periodic audit by the BATFE. The amount of that impact was way, way higher than what any other state has experienced ($1.2 MILLION dollars!). It certainly gives the appearance of the VSP trying to overstate the cost to either get more money/power or it is an attempt to kill the bill in appropriations. In the end, appropriations killed the bill because of the exorbitant fiscal impact claimed by the VSP. I expect this bill to be back next year.

-

SB 1130, Senator Garrett, would make blackjacks, switchblades and other weapons legal to own and posses. This bill had passed out of both the House and Senate. The House then brought the bill back up to be reconsidered and the bill died by a massive margin. There were several reasons that the bill was killed, ranging from petty politics to concern there wasn't an age limit in the bill.

-

SB 1155, Senator Edwards, requires law enforcement to take reasonable steps to return a stolen firearms to its owner. There was a technical issue with the bill and it was sent back to committee, but is dead because there won't be time to get the bill back to the Floor.

BILLS THAT ARE STILL IN COMMITTEE OR ARE ON THE FLOOR

HB 1329, Delegate Ware, honors all CHPs from other states, and which will result in Georgia, New Hampshire, and Colorado honoring Virginia CHPs.

The Virginia State Police (VSP) claimed there would be a fiscal impact on Virginia because not as many people would want a non-resident Virginia CHP. While there will probably be a drop in applicants, it probably won't be anywhere near what the VSP is claiming. Needless to say, the bill was sent to Senate Finance because of that claim by the VSP.

Senate Finance reported the bill out, but with a caveat that an action must be taken in an upcoming general appropriation act to compensate for the anticipate loss of revenue or the bill would not become law. Such a delay is a really bad idea and the House rejected that amendment. Because the Senate and House couldn't agree on the appropriation amendmet, a conference committee has be created to come up with a compromise that would be acceptable to both the House and the Senate. That conference committee has not met, so we don't know what will happen to HB 1329 yet. We should know something soon.

The members of the conference committee are Senators Garret, Stuart, and Edwards and Delegates Ware, Gilbert, and Keam.

-

HB 2009, Delegate LaRock, requires the chief law enforcement officer to sign off on a Form 4 to purchase a Class III weapon. This bill will be heard in the Senator Courts of Justice on Monday at 8 AM.

-

HB 2286, Delegate Webert, makes it so that Virginia will honor the restoration of rights from other states. The bill passed out of the Senate Courts of Justice with a minor amendment. It now heads to the Senate Floor.

-

HB 2015, Delegate Surovell, allows more than one firearm to be protected against bankruptcy proceedings as long as the total value of the firearms does not exceed $3,000. It has reported from the Senate Courts of Justice committee and is on the Senate Floor.

Posted by: SMoAF

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 03/05/15 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: arcsound
Agreed, between Sarvis, the plant, and dopey single professional females in NOVA that were worried about their access to late term abortions under Cootch, when the reality is they would not have an unscheduled latte, we are stuck with a first rate Democrat progressive that has no respect for personal liberty and the 2A. Thank you, useful idiots.

C'mon, don't you feel proud that the Governorship of our great State was given out basically as a political patronage job by some Arkansas hillbillies?
Posted by: 1966stang

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 03/14/15 03:32 PM

thing is if you give in on little things then they keep taking and taking and before you know it, it is all gone.
Posted by: P3Bill

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 03/21/15 07:15 AM

Once again, a special Leroy Jethro Gibbs head slap to all who voted for Sarvis. You are why we have McAuliffe and Warner.
Posted by: OldBay

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 03/30/15 01:36 PM

I blame the republican machine for putting Cugini in & skipping over Bolling. Pretty sure Sarvis wouldn't have been an issue then.
Posted by: JBLCVA7

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 06/04/15 05:04 AM

As the current regime continues to release Violent criminals
from our jails, out into the population. Most of the time the localities have no record of these violent people. Most of these are illegals. American's disabled,elderly have been told your
checks will be cut. America spends 395 Billion dollars every year
on illegals, people in the country illegally. You can come in the country illegally and receive more benefits that someone
who has lived here who has paid in the system all their life can collect.
Posted by: Fenton1

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 06/04/15 07:52 AM

I agree, Sarvis is Virginias Ross Perrow. I will never understand a liberal New Yorker became our Govenor. Ok I understand how, i just don't like it.
Posted by: Devil Squid

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 06/04/15 07:53 PM

Very well put. I couldn't agree more.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 06/04/15 07:58 PM

Amen Brother.. Hit the nail on the head.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 06/04/15 08:26 PM

Cowboy,
That's a great article with a lot of insight that people should read. Its not about labeling parties, Its much bigger than that. Im Republican and a reasonable man by nature. The needs of the many always prevail as they should. Thanks for sharing it.

Jim

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 06/04/15 08:41 PM

I couldn't agree more Devil Dog. I spent over half of my life in the Military in Defense of Freedom at home and abroad. It can be a thankless job. But for me and my Brothers and Sisters in Arms there is no higher calling. Semper Fi !!!! Thank you for your Service Sir.

Master Chief Clarke USN Seabee
Posted by: Coral

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 06/08/15 01:44 AM

I lived In Washington state for 1 year (just moved back). I moved there right when Prop 594 got passed.For those who don't know about this here is the run down http://wagunresponsibility.org/about-594/ ( WARNING VERY LIBERAL: If you are enraged by liberal rederict do not follow link!)It was the most annoying thing. Most retailers have stopped honoring instore warranties, adopted "all sales final" policies and jack up the prices on used guns. You can still buy firearms from regular joes. However, you have to get a FFL to do a transfer ON ALL GUNS no exceptions. Most gun stores charge right around $50 for the transfer fee. Don't let this happen to VA. It's One of the most annoying gun laws ever passed.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 06/10/15 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: cowboyt

A liberal governor would be fine with me as long as it's a real liberal, e. g. being pro-2A. McAuliffe is a "progressive".

Liberal, progressive, statist.......all the same, all a danger to our freedom.
Posted by: trottingturtle

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/03/15 12:24 PM

I call him "The Gun Grabbing Governor". We'll all be better off when he's outta here. I just hope he doesn't go for a senator or congressman's job like all our previous govennors have done. He might pull it off with the transplant progressive liberals that's taken over the northern part of Our Commonwealth. That and he's one of Bloomberg's little minions who will do whatever it takes to get him into another office where he can continue his Progressive Gun Grabbing agenda.
Posted by: izymic

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/08/15 12:53 AM

I just still cannot get how McAuliffe -- someone who never held a single elected position in his life, spent all his adult life being a political hack and fundraiser, carpet-bagged his residency in Virginia, and had zero understanding of the Virginia legislative process got elected.

That's what I'm still stuck on. Why didn't the sensible people get out and vote?
Posted by: MP3Mogul

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/08/15 05:55 AM

Because dems give freebies away..... if you vote dem, you get freebies.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/08/15 07:02 AM

And because Cuccinelli rigged the process on the Rep side and it turned a lot of people off.

Cuccinelli was also the 'right winger Tea Party type' that the GOP establishment hates and the national party put virtually no money into the race. In a state like VA that will always be competitive it takes a good amount of $$$ to win and McAwful/Dems outspent Cuccinelli by more then 3-1.
Posted by: G8KeaPoR

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/09/15 11:04 AM

Well when your competition goes on about topics the supreme court settled years ago namely abortion. He pisses off the majority demographic in NOVA... being women. Women outnumber men in the north just so you know. Not to mention most college educated people cant stand hearing someone tout their faith as a qualification. Basically Cuccinelli aka cookynelli up here made himself look like a nut. Me I voted for neither as a form of protest because honestly both parties are crap but that is another discussion. As for him not knowing the legislation process in VA does that even matter? We elect presidents with less qualifications to hold the highest of offices.
Posted by: G8KeaPoR

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/09/15 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: trottingturtle
He might pull it off with the transplant progressive liberals that's taken over the northern part of Our Commonwealth.

Only someone from down south would think that.... This is why I have said for years that the state should split. However I do agree with you on we will be better off when he is gone.
Posted by: BobVA

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/09/15 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: trottingturtle
I call him "The Gun Grabbing Governor". We'll all be better off when he's outta here. I just hope he doesn't go for a senator or congressman's job like all our previous govennors have done. He might pull it off with the transplant progressive liberals that's taken over the northern part of Our Commonwealth. That and he's one of Bloomberg's little minions who will do whatever it takes to get him into another office where he can continue his Progressive Gun Grabbing agenda.

Get real tired of hearing this. Do some research on the last election results and compare NOVA to the Norfolk and other large VA metropolitan areas. NOW tell me that it is all "northern" VA that is the problem.

http://www.politico.com/2013-election/results/governor/virginia/

In the last Governors race Fredericksburg voted overwhelmingly for the Dems, as did that bastion of the South, Richmond City. By MUCH larger numbers/margins than the northern Prince William.
Posted by: izymic

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/09/15 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: G8KeaPoR
Well when your competition goes on about Me I voted for neither as a form of protest because honestly both parties are crap but that is another discussion. As for him not knowing the legislation process in VA does that even matter? We elect presidents with less qualifications to hold the highest of offices.

^^^ this is a classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. why don't you just mail in your guns to governor's office and tell them it's a preemptive surrender?

seriously. it is far wiser to elect the imperfect, but closer to your values guy and then give him hell, than to deal with someone who is 180 deg opposite and hunker down.
Posted by: j1mmyd

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/09/15 06:25 PM

Nothing emboldens them more than low voter turnout.
Posted by: Watercop

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 07/27/15 08:51 AM

we just need to watch closly what happens in Richmond.
Literally raide hell when they begin astray.
Historically politicians are not in it fur us.
If we could turn the system around, 5 year residential requirement to run for public office. Would be a good start.
there are portions of Northern va we could give to DC and not loose a thing. to include the Democratic infested Virginia Beach.
Give that to North Carolina.
Gess, what a grat thought.
Now I went and done it, huh.
Posted by: Bailey151

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 08/30/15 09:42 AM

......Cuccinelli was also the 'right winger Tea Party type' that the GOP establishment hates......

Yep. They had better get a clue that the fringe candidate will NEVER win a general election. They can win in small areas where like minds (or lack thereof) congregate but they have zero mass appeal.

Kook-a-nelli doomed himself when he sued over the climate change thing - might as well tattooed "I'm a loony" on his forehead. That made him an "any-damn-body-else" candidate.

Sad part is the guy who could of won was forced out, he would have beaten the carpetbagger.
Posted by: chuckyzfr1

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 08/30/15 09:53 PM

I've been reading stories in MSM sources that report that McD-bag is stumping for "common-sense" gun control, "universal background checks" and other such horse crap. Let me translate those buzzwords; banning MSR's and magazines greater than <insert arbitrary meaningless pinhead number> of rounds, banning "scary" attachments that they don't even understand such as barrel shrouds for shotguns and muzzle breaks for rifles, and banning private sales and a national registry of guns, and gun owners. Scared yet?
Posted by: Bailey151

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 08/31/15 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: chuckyzfr1
..........banning "scary" attachments that they don't even understand........

Wouldn't that be the entire subject? They have no concept which is how they come up with silly manure like mag caps & other nonsense.

Where they really fall short is understanding human nature - they figure if we all just talk real nice the world will be rainbows & unicorns.

Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL - 11/07/15 10:12 AM

PLEASE READ... and ACT..

VA-ALERT: ACTION ITEM: Newport News City's push for Chicago-style Gun Control

Not yet a Virginia Citizens Defense League member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VA-ALERT archives: http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/=now

This alert affects EVERYONE, not just the City of Newport News residents. So please read on and do at least the first action item.

STATEWIDE GUN CONTROL PUSH

I now have a copy of the Tuesday, November 10, agenda for the City of Newport News.

In the agenda is an item where City Council want the General Assembly to pass a gun-control scheme like they have in places like Illinois, Maryland, DC, New York, New Jersey, and California!

Do any of YOU want to live in ANY of those places?

BACKGROUND

Here are the key parts of a 160 page agenda that covers the issue of permits to possess a firearm, my comments are in square brackets:

13. Protect Virginians from Gun Violence - the City asked that the General Assembly protect Virginians from gun violence by adopting legislation to require a license to possess a firearm. [PVC: As you will see, their suggestion will increase crime, not reduce it. We don’t need a “nanny” government with a monopoly of power to “protect” us.]

Vice Mayor Coleman stated this was similar to what was already required for concealed weapons permits. He inquired whether the City could alleviate the requirement of a concealed weapons permit if one obtained a license to possess a firearm. Ms. Wilson believed that the process to obtain a concealed weapons permit would be streamlined if the legislation to require a license to possess a firearm was adopted. [PVC: Ms. Wilson doesn’t even know Virginia has a concealed HANDGUN permit and she is making predictions? The concealed carry permit harkens back to a time when the government wanted to keep minorities from carrying guns. Like all gun control, it has a shameful history. That said, a CHP deals with CARRYING a concealed handgun in public, not merely POSSESSING a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.]

Vice Mayor Coleman felt there was no point in having two permits. Ms. Wilson agreed, and felt the process would be streamlined to make it as simple as possible. [PVC: It would also mean that if a person couldn't qualify for a CHP, they couldn’t own any firearms at all.]

Councilwoman Cherry inquired whether a license for a firearm would truly reduce gun violence in Newport News. City Manager Bourey replied that studies, over a 20-year time period, had concluded that a permit requirement to own a firearm had resulted in a significant reduction in gun violence. He felt the requirement would make a huge difference. [PVC: WHAT studies is Bourey talking about? His prediction on a “significant reduction in ‘gun violence’" is so far from what would actually happen as to be laughable. Illinois has Universal Background Checks and requires that all purchasers have a permit to buy a gun, but 40 to 50 people are shot every weekend in Chicago. Is THAT what Bourey wants for Virginia?]

Vice Mayor Coleman felt the biggest advantage of the General Assembly approving the legislation would be to close the gun shows and secondary sale loop-hole where no current requirements existed. Someone who bought a gun at a gun show could turnaround and sell the gun to someone else, without any ownership requirements. Everyone would have to qualify for a permit under this proposal. [PVC: Yeah, I can just see criminals lining up to get a permit to buy a gun, because we know that criminals always obey the law. In Illinois 97% of the guns used in crime come either from the black market or through straw purchases. Illinois’s Universal Background Checks and permits to possess firearms both fail miserably to even slow down criminals. This is really a Universal Gun Owner Registration scheme.)]

Councilwoman Woodbury inquired about research regarding States that had implemented legislation to require a license to possess a firearm, and asked that the City Manager provide the information to City Council. City Manager Bourey stated he would provide the information to City
Council.

Councilwoman Woodbury recalled that guns had been banned in Washington, D.C.; however, the murder rate increased. Ms. Wilson stated that the State of New York had an outright handgun ban and all United States territories banned private gun ownership, which she had learned in her research. [PVC: I sure hope they are not seriously looking at Ms. Wilson as some kind of expert. She is wrong on all of this. Where did she research this? At the Violence Policy Center? It was Chicago, not the State of New York, that banned all handgun possession. All the United States territories banning private gun ownership? I’ll bet the people of Puerto Rico, Northern Marianas, American Samoa, Guam, and the Virgin Islands are shocked to hear of that one. Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Guam even have laws allowing concealed carry on a “may issue” basis. NONE have a ban on private ownership!]

-

XIII. PROTECT VIRGINIANS FROM GUN VIOLENCE

Request:

The City of Newport News asks that the General Assembly protect Virginians from gun violence by adopting legislation to require a license to possess a firearm.

Justifcation

The City of Newport News is just one of many Virginia cities that are challenged by gun violence in the community. Eight years after the gun rampage at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg and only a few months after another shooting tragedy occurred in Roanoke, we continue to seek resources and remedies from lawmakers in Richmond or Washington. [PVC: NEITHER of those murders would have been stopped by a permit to possess a firearm, as both Cho and Flanagan passed a background check.] Putting political ideology aside, when we view gun violence as we would any other community issue, solutions can be found from what works in other places. [PVC: Good luck finding one where gun control works.] Almost always the debate on 2nd amendment rights drowns-out safety concerns. [PVC: Yes, freedom can get in the way of tyranny. Funny how that works.] That is exactly what should NOT happen. Public safety is a core function of government and finding solutions that protect the public while not infringing on the rights of responsible gun owners is critical for lawmakers. It is clear that a majority of Americans understand and want better protection from those who should not possess guns. [PVC: The City Council’s “safety concerns” seem to play down a person’s personal safety - their right to self-defense. Licenses to possess firearms would infringe on gun owners in a major way and would open gun owners up to future confiscations a la New York, Connecticut, and California. If we got rid of all gun control, we would all be a lot safer.]

Requiring all gun owners to possess a license would:

• Ensure that every person who purchases/possesses a gun has undergone a background check, thereby closing the "private sale loophole” [PVC: BALONEY! Criminals will not get a permit to possess. PERIOD. And there is no “private sale loophole.” That is just a fabrication designed to demonize the sale of firearms.]

• Confirm that gun owners remain eligible to possess firearms and facilitate the removal of firearms from people who have become ineligible [PVC: Who knows what “ineligible” will be in the future? The antis keep pushing for more and more things to make someone ineligible. I’m sure that breathing will be on that ineligibility list somewhere down the road. Here the City Council admits that confiscation would be both possible and a reality under this scheme.]

• Ensure that gun owners understand relevant firearms laws and know how to safely store and handle firearms [PVC: Intentional misuse of firearms is the problem. Problems with storage and handling are very rare. The proposed license to possess a firearm would not ensure that anyone knows firearm laws or how to safely store and handle firearms.]

• Help prevent trafficking of crime guns and make it more difficult for criminals, juveniles and other prohibited purchasers to obtain guns [PVC: This scheme won’t even slow down criminals and straw purchases will work just as well.]

Virginia currently requires a wide array of licenses and permits: driver's licenses, ABC licenses, hunting and fishing licenses, marriage licenses, business licenses, and even a permit to carry a concealed weapon, just to name a few. Licensing for gun owners has the potential to protect ALL Virginians and prevent needless gun violence. Newport News urges the General Assembly to adopt legislation to require a license to possess a firearm [PVC: When did we start licensing free speech and religion? Like both of those, the right to keep and bear arms is a RIGHT, not a privilege that is licensed. Did anybody on City Council ever take a civics class? Sure doesn’t look that way.]

-

ACTION ITEM #1

We will work to kill this item in the General Assembly, but we need to let politicians who touch the third rail of gun control know that we are going to fight back. And that includes the Newport News City Council.

Since the City Council’s proposal is a STATEWIDE gun-control measure, I suggest ALL OF US respond to this threat to our rights by sending City Council an email!

Email address for all of City Council: council@nnva.gov

Suggested subject: OPPOSE the permit for firearm possession scheme!

Suggested message:

Newport News City Council,

I have just learned that the City Council is going to recommend that Virginia become just like Illinois, Maryland, and other high crime states, all of which have “permit to possess a firearm” laws.

Those permits don’t do anything to lower crime, as criminals don’t bother getting them. Criminals get guns from the black market (“the street”), by theft, or from straw purchasers who pass background checks before turning the guns over to the criminal.

Chicago, which has both Universal Background Checks and a permit to possess a firearm law, experiences 40 to 50 shootings every weekend! Southern Maryland has 4 TIMES and DC 8 TIMES the number of firearm-related murders as Northern Virginia according to a recent Washington Post article. Is that what you want for Virginia?

This proposal is bad for Virginia, defies Virginia’s Constitution, and I urge you to drop this item from your legislative packet.

Sincerely,
[YOUR NAME]

-

ACTION ITEM #2

If you live in the general area of the City of Newport News, we need to flood the City Council Chamber with gun owners wearing Guns Save Lives stickers and to speak against the licensing scheme. Even if they don’t pull that item based on being flooded by emails, we still need to let them know what they are requesting is WRONG.

The meeting is at 7 PM on Tuesday, November 10th at:

City Council Chambers (behind City Hall)
2400 Washington Ave.
Newport News, VA 23607

Look for someone with GSL stickers and get one to wear. I’ll be there, will you?

-

Many thanks to member Richard Thomas for his tenaciousness in going after the issue of the City pushing gun control and to Theresa Clift, with the Daily Press, for pointing Richard in the right direction.

IMPORTANT: It is our intention to honor all "remove" requests promptly.
To unsubscribe from this list, or change the email address where you
receive messages, please go to:
https://www.listbox.com/member/?member_id=6903859&id_secret=6903859-d212d342

Modify Your Subscription: https://www.listbox.com/member/?member_id=6903859&id_secret=6903859-d212d342