Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20

Posted by: trio

Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/19/19 01:20 AM

As many of you know, the end of the 2019 session of the general assembly was today, and bills can be prefiled today to then be offered on the first day of the new general assembly on 1/8/20

Senate bill no. 16 was prefiled today

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+SB16

As you can see it has an assault weapons ban with NO GRANDFATHER CLAUSE, and mandatory background checks for everything

included in assault weapons are

1) pretty much any centerfire rifle with a detachable magazine

2) handguns with magazines over 10 rounds or that weigh more than 50 ounces

3) shotguns with a pistol grip, or that have a tube that accepts more than 7 shells

4). Threaded handgun barrels

5). Suppressors

6). And a partridge in a pear tree

You get the point. Everything is banned. It also includes a magazine capacity ban, and a whole host or other things.

Possession of any of these items is a class 6 felony punishable by not less than 1 year but not more than 5 years in prison. Sentences for multiple counts are to be served consecutively, not concurrently. So if you have 5 ARs you can conceivably go to jail for 25 years

Again, there is no grandfather clause. If you possess any of these items after 7/1/20 you’re going to jail. You have until then to destroy, render inoperative, turn in, or move out of state any prohibited items

You’ll also notice in the list of the rest of the bills prefiled today, SB 13 which prohibits having a weapon in Capitol square...so enjoy carrying this lobby day because it’s likely to be your last

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+lst+ALL

If you didn’t vote, or voted for a democrat, or some other third party candidate, **I miss Obama** you very much. You’re the reason this **I miss Obama** is about to get shoved down our throats and I hope your door is the first one kicked in

Posted by: FordBoy

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/19/19 01:52 PM

SMH..
Posted by: chank3

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/19/19 03:12 PM

Grandfather clause is just to placate the current population. Think of our future, I want my kids to have the means to defend themselves. One day we'll be pushing up daisies, and we better not let our future generations be neutered.
Posted by: jr45

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/20/19 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By: chank3
Grandfather clause is just to placate the current population. Think of our future, I want my kids to have the means to defend themselves. One day we'll be pushing up daisies, and we better not let our future generations be neutered.

Agreed. Also, any grandfathering will only be temporary until they decide it's time to turn them in.
Posted by: AR74

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/21/19 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: jr45

Agreed. Also, any grandfathering will only be temporary until they decide it's time to turn them in.

Or, more likely, until the ultimatum of registering them or turning them in comes about.
Posted by: Enigma85

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/21/19 01:38 PM

https://www.vcdl.org/

Just make sure to bug your county supervisors to vote in favor of this sanctuary county stuff, yeah this won't "usurp" state law, but it will certainly send a message and is a step in the right direction.

Spotsylvania county will vote on it Dec 10th, they already have a drafted resolution in place which is nice.

In the meantime, anyone want to organize a fishing trip to put on the books, where we can all somehow lose our weapons?

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/21/19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: AR74
Originally Posted By: jr45

Or, more likely, until the ultimatum of registering them or turning them in comes about.

I guess we better knuckle up and fight like hell. This is our home and we shouldn't let urbanites from up north dictate our lives.

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/21/19 02:56 PM

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/12/778487920...gton-to-proceed

If this doesn’t go in Remington‘s favor on the national level gun manufacturers will be financially crippled if this sort of stuff will fly going forward

Quite the confluence of events we are facing here in Virginia
Posted by: FishingPilot

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/21/19 09:45 PM

Been pondering leaving VA for a while now. This is a few more items to add to the CON column for staying here. If this passes as is, it will turn thousands of law abiding Virginians into felons instantly for possession.
Posted by: LmgM

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/21/19 11:37 PM

With all the anti-2A money pouring into Virginia, and an apparent multiplication of clueless citizenry through the state, the future does not look good for us.

That being said, if retreating to a "more friendly place" is the first urge, we will surely run out of places to exercise our freedom to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. We should stand our ground here and, most importantly, form local groups that can help out one another.

We have to stay put and stick together. If I could do more than giving money to the GOA and being involved in the VCDL, I would do it. Would love to hear more ideas from the folks here on how else we can weather this storm.
Posted by: IrishIII

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/22/19 07:00 AM

Well said

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/22/19 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: LmgM

We have to stay put and stick together. If I could do more than giving money to the GOA and being involved in the VCDL, I would do it. Would love to hear more ideas from the folks here on how else we can weather this storm.

If we have to scream and put on **I VOTE DEMOCRAT** hats, so be it
Posted by: Wojownik

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/22/19 11:58 AM

Grassroots efforts. Community education. Getting active, and getting other people active.

Grassroots efforts include these symbolic sanctuary city petitions - even if you are in a hostile county (ahem, Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, Loudoun ...) be a pest and get people to sign onto online or paper petitions to make these counties 2A sanctuaries. SHOW UP AT COUNTY SUPERVISOR MEETINGS.

Ask to meet with your legislators - be very respectful, but be very clear that the proposed legislation is likely to provoke a very negative reaction from much of the state. If the Dems care to keep their majority in VA, they may need to be reminded to behave themselves.

Spread the word - the truth - that all these anti-gun initiatives are being driven by out-of-state interests. Assuming your audience cares about being "Virginian", they may raise an eyebrow if they really understand that these proposals are all coming from Fairfax and Arlington County representatives, and these particular Democrats are nothing but puppets of out-of-state (New York) interests.

Spread the word - they accuse Republican legislators of being in the pocket of the NRA ... the reality is that many of these Democratic legislators are in the pocket of Michael Bloomberg. Period. The money trail is there. It's sickening. New York is now running Richmond.

Start now, and maybe in 2 years we can get out the vote and turn this thing around.

Last thought - us "gun folks" tend not to be as social media saavy and socially adept as the anti-gunners. We need to overcome our own obstacle. They got out the vote in November, they got on social media, they commanded the message. We did not. Our side failed. Miserably.

So, we need to form grassroots organizations (heck, even if its two or three of us) in every single county. Get on Twitter, Facebook, and just keep spreading the truth. Even if that is merely reposting messages from VCDL, GOA and NRA-ILA. Remember, 90% of politics is "perception." There was the perception of huge support for these extremist proposals - because radical activists (Everytown and others) dominated the information market. Basically they made their fantasy into reality. Such is politics. Apparently, we kind of suck at that game. We need to change that. Now.

Summing up:

• contribute to VCDL, GOA and NRA - join if you have not already. And everybody needs to start asking NRA-ILA what the heck thy are going to do in VA
  • attend key events like VCDL's lobby day
  • contact your delegates and state senators - be polite, clear and concise. But always be respectful. Express your opposition to the extremist legislation - it just simply goes too far.
  • get social with your neighbors, get them educated and informed ... and hopefully they will join in
  • organize at a grassroots level. Form county groups, and start getting active (and loud) on social media.

With all the anti-2A money pouring into Virginia, and an apparent multiplication of clueless citizenry through the state, the future does not look good for us.

That being said, if retreating to a "more friendly place" is the first urge, we will surely run out of places to exercise our freedom to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. We should stand our ground here and, most importantly, form local groups that can help out one another.

Posted by: jlw1974

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/22/19 01:17 PM

Maybe have Pro-2A folks running as a Democrat for government office positions during the next round of elections...with the 'cluelessness' out there, some are sure to win.

Campaign Rhetoric would be "I am running to protect the [constitutional] rights of every citizen in my district".

You have to remember that Democratic or Republican are just party names. History has shown that each party was for/against 2A rights...so what gives... Do whatever it takes...

A Wolf in sheep's clothing isn't against the law.

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/22/19 01:32 PM

I like the sentiment, but remember that Democrats seem to be more controlling about who gets to run under their banner, even at a local level. They tend to groom. The Republicans discriminate much less, it seems.

However, yes, it would make sense for independents (and Dems here on this forum) to get a LOT more active in Democrat politics. Being a Virginia Democrat does not mean you have to be a Bloomberg/NY Democrat. And that is a point that needs to be made loudly. For a party that touts diversity, they sure as heck don't tolerate diversity of thought in their own ranks.

It would also make sense for Republican forum members to get a LOT more active in their local Republican committees. The fight against this extremism is not going to be won unless we are all prepared to pitch in a little bit. Volunteer to hand out flyers at the polls. Volunteer to spend a day walking through town putting pamphlets at peoples doors. And, for goodness sake, the Republican's didn't even field candidates in dozens of races ... what the heck ?!?!

Unless we are all prepared to get involved a little more, we can't win.

But that's all prep for the next set of elections, in 2 years. Imagine the damage the current crew of elected folks WILL do by then (even over the next 6 months).

So, right now, we have a call to action. Just as I said above.

• Contribute to VCDL, GOA and NRA - join if you have not already. And everybody needs to start asking NRA-ILA what the heck thy are going to do in VA
  • Attend key events like VCDL's lobby day
  • Contact your delegates and state senators - be polite, clear and concise. But always be respectful. Express your opposition to the extremist legislation - it just simply goes too far.
  • Get social with your neighbors, get them educated and informed ... and hopefully they will join in
  • Organize with your friends at a grassroots level. Form county groups, and start getting active (and loud) on social media.

And now:

• Get active in you local politics. Push on your local county Republican committee (they have websites and phone numbers). Push on your local county Democratic party committee - they might be surprised to hear a grassroots pushback from Democrats that they are going too far.

Originally Posted By: jlw1974
Maybe have Pro-2A folks running as a Democrat for government office positions during the next round of elections...with the 'cluelessness' out there, some are sure to win.

Campaign Rhetoric would be "I am running to protect the [constitutional] rights of every citizen in my district".

You have to remember that Democratic or Republican are just party names. History has shown that each party was for/against 2A rights...so what gives... Do whatever it takes...

A Wolf in sheep's clothing isn't against the law.

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/22/19 01:40 PM

I thought about retreating to WV, since my work takes me there a lot. But then I realized Virginia is my home and **I VOTE DEMOCRAT** Saslaw should be the one moving. If he doesn't like our gun laws then he should go to New York. My dad is from Hong Kong, and he uses the current protests there as a good example of why he left to Tennessee.

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/22/19 02:48 PM

See, here you have outlined a really powerful story that frankly I think you should try to speak to Saslaw about face to face. And demand an explanation. Such as ... " I am a Democrat. And a minority. And I did not vote for you to promote this kind of extreme law. This is not "common sense" gun control, this is some kind of extreme agenda that many Virginia Democrats do not support. So please explain to me why you are sponsoring such an extreme bill, and what can we do to convince you to pull it back?"

I'm not kidding, the power of one individual with an amazing story can be extraordinary. You could be that guy.

I thought about retreating to WV, since my work takes me there a lot. But then I realized Virginia is my home and **I VOTE DEMOCRAT** Saslaw should be the one moving. If he doesn't like our gun laws then he should go to New York. My dad is from Hong Kong, and he uses the current protests there as a good example of why he left to Tennessee.
Posted by: FishingPilot

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/25/19 12:23 PM

you can speak about standing up and fighting them but living here in the Northern VA area I can speak first hand about the mindset of the people here. These clueless people keep pouring in. With the likes of a new Amazon data center coming to Herndon and an office area coming to Crystal City, we simply can't compete with the influx of these persons.

I honestly just don't know what to do. Even moving back down to central VA is not going help. I fear that VA is turning into a second MD and it will not revert back in our lifetimes.
Posted by: jlw1974

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/25/19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: FishingPilot
you can speak about standing up and fighting them but living here in the Northern VA area I can speak first hand about the mindset of the people here. These clueless people keep pouring in. With the likes of a new Amazon data center coming to Herndon and an office area coming to Crystal City, we simply can't compete with the influx of these persons.

I honestly just don't know what to do. Even moving back down to central VA is not going help. I fear that VA is turning into a second MD and it will not revert back in our lifetimes.

Agree. Where we live, a non-experienced person running on a Blue ticket almost won (10K votes short) of beating a highly qualified Sheriff running on the Red ticket....that says something...People voted Blue just to vote blue...My guess is that next time around, there will be enough 'blues' out there to vote out any highly qualified and respectable sheriff running on a red ticket.

So....my idea was to have a pro-2nd person run on a Blue ticket...self-proclaimed Moderate Democrat with common sense. Nothing illegal about that.

A couple of things can happen:
1. If there are two democrats running, those votes will get watered down to the point where the Red ticket guy possibly gets a majority.
2. One of the two democrats running will win... If the Moderate wins, that is much better than a crazy far left-winger winning.

I am honestly tired of playing the 'better person' in this rat race where the far left are doing everything/anything morally bankrupted to win.

So with that the odds are in favor of a pro-2A candidate winning would be 2/3. That is better than doing nothing IMO.

Oh, and definitely try and get your Board of Directors to vote as a 2A Sanctuary City/County.

Now, who wants to be the 'Moderate' Democrat to try this out? Buehler...Buehler...anyone... smile
Posted by: nonskid

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 11/29/19 11:48 PM

Constitution of Virginia Article I. Bill of Rights Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power.
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper,natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 12/01/19 02:36 PM

Please take 5 minutes to watch this excellent talk given by a citizen at the Suffolk VA hearing on 2A sanctuary status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLh5BdAGv6E

And then, please take 5 minutes to contact your delegate and state senator ... especially Democrat delegates and senators.

Why especially Democrats? Because perhaps they need to know directly that this is not any kind of common sense gun control that we would ever have voted for. And because perhaps they need to know that we do not want Democrat legislators across the state merely becoming robot slaves of the NoVA politicians.

Posted by: alnitak

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 12/02/19 10:50 AM

There is also SB 64 which will come up 1/8/20 as well, which prohibits any fire arms training. Let's see, you need a certified course to get a CHP...but State law will prohibit any training...hmmm...guess we know where this is going!

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 12/02/19 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: alnitak
There is also SB 64 which will come up 1/8/20 as well, which prohibits any fire arms training. Let's see, you need a certified course to get a CHP...but State law will prohibit any training...hmmm...guess we know where this is going!

no, no, no. SB64 covers things that are done with "the intent of intimidating any person or group of persons."

A firearms certification or safety course does not fall in that category. We're going to spin off into the woods if we don't keep our focus on what is really going on.

SB64 is 30-year old an anti-militia bill - the proposal is to add add language in response to gun-carrying demonstrators at Charlottesville (supposedly with intent to intimidate).
Posted by: alnitak

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 12/02/19 12:20 PM

the intent can be assumed there by any Democrat...if teaching a hunting class on how to kill a deer, they will say it can be applied to a human, hence "intimidation" or "para-military" intent.

The bureaucrats can make seemingly obvious wording mean something else..."shall not be infringed" ring any bells??
Posted by: Dragpo

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 12/06/19 01:57 PM

Deleted.
Posted by: Gnome

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 12/06/19 02:10 PM

My Thoughts.

Infringement
Posted by: LmgM

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 12/06/19 05:01 PM

Yes you would be correct about your glock 19 with a 15 round mag being safe.

The portion of the bill addressing semi-auto pistols with the evil features is attacking AR and AK pistols, or any other type of platform people rely on for concealed carry "backpack guns" or "truck gun" setups many people have.

As far as the magazine ban portion, it essentially limits the supply of "high capacity" magazines in VA from this point forward.

So yea your glocks and mags are safe......for now. You may find comfort in that, but I urge you to think, how long will it take before the anti-gunners think that's not enough and you shouldn't have those either?

Meanwhile almost all semi-auto rifles out there right now will be illegal and will come with a felony for posessing one. All of these laws are Bulls**t.

Originally Posted By: Dragpo

So my conclusion based on the above is my Glock 19 with my already existing 15 round mags is totally legal under this.

Thoughts?
Posted by: str870s

Re: Here is senate bill no. 16, prefiled 11/18/19, to be offered on 1/8/20 - 01/31/20 08:37 AM

Dragpo and LmgM, the way I'm currently reading HB961, § 18.2-308.9, all magazines over 10-rounds would be considered high-capacity, and therefore banned. I've been wrong before, and I'd love to not have to buy 10-round magazines for all my semi-autos, but...

[Start quote]
§ 18.2-308.9. Import, sale, possession, etc., of certain firearms magazines; penalty.

A. For purposes of this section, "large-capacity firearm magazine" means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition, including any such device with a removable floor plate or end plate if the device can be readily extended to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition. "Large-capacity firearm magazine" does not include (i) a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition or (ii) an attached tubular device designed to accept and only capable of operating with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

B. It is unlawful for any person to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport any large-capacity firearm magazine. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 6 felony.